U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,627,946 times

Advertisements

I think this law should pass. There was an armed robbery right next door to me this past fall.
Make My Day Law For Business Advances In Colorado
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM

345 posts, read 761,573 times
I am fine with it if the person has a visible gun, I am not ok with it if they have a bat or whatever and/or are snatching tiny crap and running.
The part that worries me is if it is some stupid kid who wants say a 6 pack of beer pretends to have a gun and gets shot all for $7 bucks. I am not condoning stealing, it truly annoys me since it I pay for my items and it raises the prices. But at the same time I do not want to see a person killed by a terrified employee who should not be handling a gun in the first place.
So I am mixed on it, I see the pros in defending yourself against an actual gunman and the cons as stated above.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,661,688 times
I'm all for use of deadly force to thwart a violent criminal. The key to these laws is that they make a presumption that such use of force is legal--until proven otherwise. So it's not open season...each case gets reviewed by the DA, and if there's evidence of wrongdoing, that presumption is then nullified.

But it's not acceptable when a person acting in self-defense is automatically presumed to be in the wrong, and led away in handcuffs. It used to be that way in the past, and still is in communist territories like Illinois and New York. "Make My Day" laws give a person already reeling from dealing with a serious crime against them the benefit of the doubt going into the investigation. Nothing wrong with that.

@gmm_24: if you approach me with a hand in your pocket and tell me you have a gun, I am going to assume you are telling me the truth and react accordingly. The dumb kid in your hypothetical isn't just stealing $7, he's making a death threat, and that qualifies him to receive the fullest measure of self-defense available from his victim, including deadly force.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,075,839 times
Sounds good to me. We need more laws in favor of innocent civilians and far fewer protecting dirtbag criminals.

My first experience that broke my innocence about the world was on Dec 15, 1984. I was sitting in a barbers chair as a kid getting my hair cut and the TV was turned on. Suddenly a special report came on the local channel about how in a small town south of our city, at a very small bank, a guy went in to rob it and decided to stab everyone instead.

It snapped me into reality about how the world is and while most people are fine, there are always and always will be, maniacs out there that believe in chaos and destruction.

As my life went on, I saw many times in the localities I lived, not to mention national media, all the number of times a thug went into a business supposedly just to steal some property or some money and ended up stabbing/beating/shooting store owners or employees and patrons to death.

So I'm all for a law like this.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone that displays deadly intent or threatens deadly intent or theft of my property, it's game on.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,627,946 times
If we were all armed who's going to mess with you? In many European countries all men serve for 2 years, every home has a firearm. That's why armed crime is so rare.
When you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,177,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If we were all armed who's going to mess with you? In many European countries all men serve for 2 years, every home has a firearm. That's why armed crime is so rare.
When you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns.
Huh? Europe is like the worst as far as gun control, as is Australia

Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 PM

840 posts, read 2,041,361 times
In my opinion, the legal justifiable use of deadly force should be extended to property crime. I have absolutely NO sympathy for thieves. No, it doesn't hurt my feelings one iota if some punk dirt bag gets popped for swiping beer from a convenience store.

I know this sounds harsh, but the only way we're ever going to get this kind of criminal behavior under control is when criminals learn crime has a high probability of fatal consequences.....

Ok, I guess we can't really allow summary executions of street punks, but I still don't mind when one of them gets capped....

But, to address the OP's question, yes, the so called make my day law should definitely be in effect for businesses.....

Last edited by GreenScoutII; 02-07-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM

840 posts, read 2,041,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Huh? Europe is like the worst as far as gun control, as is Australia
I think he is referring to Switzerland.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM

20,376 posts, read 37,929,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
I think he is referring to Switzerland.
Yes. I read about this years ago. IIRC they have underground bunkers for hiding aircraft and other such things, and national service is mandatory, and every home is armed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,177,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes. I read about this years ago. IIRC they have underground bunkers for hiding aircraft and other such things, and national service is mandatory, and every home is armed.
Yeah they also didn't do a damn thing when Hitler was invading everyone around them, screw them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado