U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 AM

81,382 posts, read 90,958,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
I know someone in the same situation as the OP, and perhaps your dreams are most important to pursue since all of us only have a chance to attend college ONCE - Many possible solutions -

1) Become a resident of the State of Colorado (not that hard).

2) Consider New Mexico since tuition is lower and the two states are similar in some ways and next to each other.

3) Fort Lewis College in Durango offers waivers for out of state tuition for students meeting various criteria.

4) Apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) and as many scholarships as you can find.
1) Unless his/her parents move out here, s/he cannot become a resident until age 22 unless proving him/herself emancipated, which is hard.

http://registrar.colorado.edu/studen...gulations.html

5.Emancipation requires that your parents cannot provide financial support of any nature for any purpose. Parental support includes funds your parents may have previously set aside for your current support even if those funds are in your name. Parents may provide reasonable incidental gifts consistent with emancipation but may not provide significant funds that would be characteristic of a continuing parent-child support relationship.
Plus much more. Read it.

2) Maybe an option.

3) I think those are for Native Americans.

4) An option, though FAFSA mostly offers loans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 AM

69 posts, read 145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1) Unless his/her parents move out here, s/he cannot become a resident until age 22 unless proving him/herself emancipated, which is hard.

Residency and Tuition Classification Regulations | Office of the Registrar | CU-Boulder

5.Emancipation requires that your parents cannot provide financial support of any nature for any purpose. Parental support includes funds your parents may have previously set aside for your current support even if those funds are in your name. Parents may provide reasonable incidental gifts consistent with emancipation but may not provide significant funds that would be characteristic of a continuing parent-child support relationship.
Plus much more. Read it.

2) Maybe an option.

3) I think those are for Native Americans.

4) An option, though FAFSA mostly offers loans.
Personally, I wouldn't follow a rule from an unelected bureaucrat in this place because nobody will ever find out (and I'm not from the Midwest), so if I was in this situation, then I would just ask my parents for the money in advance, invest the money, and then move to Colorado and get a job. And, I believe that most parents would do this. This does not apply to the acquaintance of mine since they are over 22.

The Ft. Lewis college tuition assistance in durango is *NOT* exclusively for Native Americans. Instead of having "Western Undergraduate Exchange," that lowers the out of state tuition, they award financial aid to out of state students based on merit.

Last edited by JuniperRidge1; 02-13-2012 at 03:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM

81,382 posts, read 90,958,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't follow a rule from an unelected bureaucrat in this place because nobody will ever find out (and I'm not from the Midwest), so if I was in this situation, then I would just ask my parents for the money in advance, invest the money, and then move to Colorado and get a job. And, I believe that most parents would do this. This does not apply to the acquaintance of mine since they are over 22.

The Ft. Lewis college tuition assistance in durango is *NOT* exclusively for Native Americans. Instead of having "Western Undergraduate Exchange," that lowers the out of state tuition, they award financial aid to out of state students based on merit.
"Nobody will ever find out"? Are you kidding? You have to fill out a form, under penalty of perjury, when you apply to a state-supported college, including a community college. I've filled it out many times, for myself and my kids. It asks how many years you paid Colorado income tax, how long your car(s) have been registered in CO, etc. That's just the in-state student form. I imagine the emancipation form has a few more personal questions.

I yeild to your knowledge about Ft. Lewis.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM

109 posts, read 209,171 times
t.morrison, jazzlover has some great advice. Do whatever you can to avoid taking on loads of student debt. It just isn't worth it. If you really can't stand being in Nebraska any longer, look into reciprocal tuition agreements that Nebraska has with neighboring states under a program called The Midwestern Higher Education Compact.) That will help keep your tuition rates down much closer to "in-state" rates - but you'll still get the out-of-state experience and you won't have to take time out from your education to establish residency. Then, with degree in hand and no student loans to pay, come on out to Colorado!

My daughter has lived in Colorado her whole life and, like you, is desperate to go to school out of state because she wants to experience something new and different. We're looking into the University of Wyoming for her. With a reciprocal tuition agreement (our program is called "WUE" here), she can go to Wyoming and actually pay less than she would pay to attend the University of Colorado! Colorado tuition isn't cheap for residents - and it's horrible for non-residents.

Here are a couple of articles that might be helpful for you. Good luck!

Cutting the Price of Out-of-State Universities | The College Solution

http://www.mhec.org/MHECHomePage

(The second link is for Nebraska's reciprocal tuition program.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado