U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM

12 posts, read 27,752 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'm looking for opinions, and hopefully nobody will slam me or each other in responses, like they do in Texas forums

My little family and I are trying to get out of Texas ASAFP. We are looking for a cold climate, and no fire ants as my child has a deadly allergy to them, better air quality, fewer rat infestations...unfortunately Texas is filthy, and the temps are unbearable....which leads to my next point, real estate is CHEAP here. I mean cheap. I already know CO is more expensive, but I'm sure we can find kid friendly neighborhoods, good schools, and low crime for around 225k? I hope. Is living in a duplex/condo/townhome considered "trashy" in Colorado like people here think it is? I don't judge like that, and if all we can afford is a townhome, I dont want my kid being judged either-maybe that kind of thinking is exclusive to Texans, but I'm honestly asking and want a real answer, not sugar coated.

I know people need my info for a better response, so politically, we are progressives, DEF not Obama fans, and FAR from conservative republicans, who I'd like to stay away from, I already know I'm not at all interested in living in Colorado Springs. I don't want to live around a bunch of far out hippies that don't comb their kids hair either, if you know what I mean. We're just regular normal people, and are hoping to find that in Co. I'm sure I've offended someone already, but I'm trying to be honest.

where are the IT/networking jobs? Denver? I'm looking at Parker...any comments on that town? what's the commute to Denver from there?

I'm also very concerned with schools, having a very bright child, I need a school with preferably an IB programme, or at least a good GT or AP teachers.

also, about Loveland, I've read that it's still really backward, and smells like manure, and the commute to Denver sucks...opinions?

please, share your thoughts and ask me anything. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM

2,976 posts, read 6,641,032 times
I'm up in the mountains, so I can't really help with the Denver Region, but Colorado School Grades will give you ratings on all Colorado schools.

I've lived in Houston and remember your pain, especially the fire ant pain. In general people in CO are not as judgemental as TX, just get those TX plates off your car ASAP. Good luck in your search!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM

thank you Dogmama

oh, the people in Houston right now are having it bad...between the heat and the ants, it's textbook biblical bad. I lived in Co for a minute as a child, but most of my life has been spent in NM...I already know nobody likes Texans but Texans, so the license plate will def be ditched lol! Good thing I don't have an accent....

cheers

Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,191,052 times
Have you also considered the Research Triangle area? There is plenty going on and home prices are less than Denver area.

I escaped to San Jose from Phoenix as the temps are also pretty bad there so I understand your need to cool off. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,159,132 times
Basically, the OP's wants are somewhat in conflict. He wants reasonable real estate costs and no "hippie" environment--that rules out the mountains, as well as Boulder. He wants first-rate schools--that pretty much rules out Denver proper, and several of the suburbs. Sounds like he doesn't want to be in an agricultural community, which rules out most of the rest of rural Colorado--along with cities like Greeley. He wants a "cold" climate--that rules out places like Grand Junction and the western valleys of Colorado, as well as Pueblo. That doesn't leave much. Fort Collins, maybe, but there (and in nearby Loveland), he will be competing with umpteen CSU grads clawing away, trying to stay in Colorado. Golden proper might be somewhat of a fit, but there are getting to be plenty of "hippie" types hanging around there.

I have to wonder if someplace in the Upper Midwest--Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin maybe--might fit his needs better. They have far higher tax rates than does Colorado (or Texas), but they also have some pretty first-rate schools, as well. A lot of people leave those states because they DON'T like the cold weather and long winters--that could be a plus in finding a job. And, as others noted, people in those states often don't have the strong dislike of Texans that many Rocky Mountain region residents do. In those states, you likely won't hear the oft-repeated joke among many long-time Coloradans: "What's the happiest sight in the world?" "A Texan leaving Colorado carrying a Californian under both arms."

Last edited by jazzlover; 02-10-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,853,810 times
Wink Metro something

I cannot speak to Parker specifically, but location-wise it should be fine if your commute to job, services, school, etc. is confined to there and southern Denver.

If across Denver, then that is another matter altogether, which anyone having driven on I-25 in at all a busy period will appreciate. The same goes for Loveland, only more so. Loveland and Fort Collins are far enough removed that commuting to even the north edge of Denver stretches the bounds of common sense. Moreover, traffic on that stretch of road, and I-25 in general, has only grown in volume over time. In short, if thinking the need to be in Denver, then be there, and preferably on the side of town happiest to remain most of the time. Various exceptions could be in living closer, such as in Westminster, even Boulder at a stretch, but again avoiding driving across Denver as a commute.

The common advice often provided on this forum applies: locate the job, perhaps being no easy thing, and then from that ground zero decide where best to live.

That aside, Loveland is okay, and a place that many that live there probably like. In my estimation its best feature lies in ready access to Rocky Mountain National Park, although not all that much farther from Boulder or Fort Collins. The biggest problem with Fort Collins is the competition for decent jobs, and remembering one does not want to commute elsewhere. Otherwise it is considered a desirable place to live, with a good deal to recommend it. If thinking of manure and cows, then possibly Greeley, although even there there may be some civic boosters.

There doesn't seem to be much of a stigma to living in townhomes or other multi-family dwellings, particularly if they are at all decent, at least not by what I hear are Texas standards. But one should not assume that class distinctions and the concept of one-upping one's neighbor are not alive and well throughout the United States. Probably not in Colorado in general to the same extent as some other places. But if you want bragging rights, at least in some quarters, then you'll want the McMansion and fleet of new, huge SUVs.

Back to location. If a job emerges in Colorado Springs or, God forbid, Boulder, you can rest easy. While certainly some distinctions, one could live a perfectly normal life in either of these towns. Or, in looking, find something more whole grain or Christian. The bigger difference from accustomed norms will be found beyond the metro areas centered along I-25. If off in the mountains or plains, life will in various ways be different, even if still in the 21st century, and possibly a Starbucks to be found.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 PM

I really appreciate ALL the answers and opinions! I understand the idea of looking for the job first, but I didnt really know where to look for the job. I just assumed that the majority of jobs were in and around Denver, which is why I didnt' think we could get into Ft Collins.

Loveland sounded perfectly good to me, but it was the people that actually live there that were writing horrid reviews about it but that was a different forum.

as far as far left or far right, I'd choose Boulder over CoSprings. I've had my fill of conservative Christians. As far as hippies, I mean real ones, I dont' consider healthy outdoorsy liberals to be hippies besides Boulder is WAY out of our price range

I also want to stress that I'm not a Texan, I'm a New Mexican, and a woman (not that anybody cares about that bit) I just got stuck in the Dallas suburbs for the last 4 years. I would move back to NM, but like CO, California "investors" absolutely ruined the real estate market. That and I dont want to get stabbed. That's a real fear when living there.

I'll check out Golden, and is the Triangle area a neighborhood, or a three towns? I'm not sure how to look at that.

I'm sorry if I offended any hippies. Or Christians.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM

20,358 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Actually COLO SPGS is the place where you CAN find all that you seek.

The stereotypes you've heard about religion here are erroneous and we've fought those falsehoods for years. Only 37% of people here attend services and though religion is alive and well here, it is NOT in your face as Texas is so noted for being. It is very live and let live here.

Our schools are great and you CAN get a very nice home in a very safe neighborhood for the budget you quoted.

Go to realtor.com and put in zip 80920 and see what you get, and there are other areas.

We have no fire ants that I'm aware of, low humidity, few bugs, never seen a rat (except those who run for office).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,062,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTYWRYR View Post
Hi everyone

I'm looking for opinions, and hopefully nobody will slam me or each other in responses, like they do in Texas forums

My little family and I are trying to get out of Texas ASAFP. We are looking for a cold climate, and no fire ants as my child has a deadly allergy to them, better air quality, fewer rat infestations...unfortunately Texas is filthy, and the temps are unbearable....which leads to my next point, real estate is CHEAP here. I mean cheap. I already know CO is more expensive, but I'm sure we can find kid friendly neighborhoods, good schools, and low crime for around 225k? I hope. Is living in a duplex/condo/townhome considered "trashy" in Colorado like people here think it is? I don't judge like that, and if all we can afford is a townhome, I dont want my kid being judged either-maybe that kind of thinking is exclusive to Texans, but I'm honestly asking and want a real answer, not sugar coated.

I know people need my info for a better response, so politically, we are progressives, DEF not Obama fans, and FAR from conservative republicans, who I'd like to stay away from, I already know I'm not at all interested in living in Colorado Springs. I don't want to live around a bunch of far out hippies that don't comb their kids hair either, if you know what I mean. We're just regular normal people, and are hoping to find that in Co. I'm sure I've offended someone already, but I'm trying to be honest.

where are the IT/networking jobs? Denver? I'm looking at Parker...any comments on that town? what's the commute to Denver from there?

I'm also very concerned with schools, having a very bright child, I need a school with preferably an IB programme, or at least a good GT or AP teachers.

also, about Loveland, I've read that it's still really backward, and smells like manure, and the commute to Denver sucks...opinions?

please, share your thoughts and ask me anything. Thanks in advance!
Colorado I find more than other states has a lot of polarizing political opinions, likely due to the fact people are either living in the middle of nowhere or in a very suburban/urban environment. There isn't a lot of transition between the two.

Colorado is a windy state so it is not uncommon to get hit with dirt or dust storms or other associated smells. Also due to the mountains, the Front Range prairie or up in the mountains, various mountain valleys get temperature inversions which lock in dirty air, sometimes for a few days.

I don't know why you would classify Loveland as backwards. If you find that backwards, you'll probably find most of Colorado backwards. It's a commuter suburb for people that don't want to be so close to Denver and has a history, as much of Colorado does, with the agriculture business, which is great because most of us have to eat.

Basically, the best thing to do is simply locate the best job possible along the I-25 corridor and then begin a search within 30 minutes of the job for the suburb/neighborhood you like most. Living on the prairie in these suburbs is not going to be much different than any of the others I find. It's kind of pointless to talk about Loveland if you are looking for a job down near DTC or talking about Parker if you find a job in the northern Denver Metro area.

Once you narrow that down then you can begin the process of interviewing neighbors for acceptable political viewpoints and finding others with the same regressive viewpoints. And if you want to go full throttle regressive(progressive political policies to me are an oxymoron), the People's Republic of Boulder is the place to be.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,853,810 times
Wink NM as a land apart & CO

Having lived in New Mexico, I've heard that some Texans like to refer to The Land of Enchantment as upper or northwest Texas. The same sentiment is not at all shared by their neighbor.

In Colorado, Boulder is expensive, but to one extent and another the nearby communities are distinctly less so. It is a big enough place now to offer a sizable job market on its own, and anyone watching US 36 will notice during the morning and evening commutes that there are a good number of vehicles headed in both directions. Louisville is close to Boulder, and if not as inexpensive as other options, still indicative as what possible for people working in Boulder but living outside of it. More often probably because they cannot afford to live in town, but in others as liking some, but not that much granola on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado