U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM

56 posts, read 79,401 times

Advertisements

How much difference is there in climate/weather in Pueblo compared to Colorado Springs and Denver?

How is gardening (soil, length of season, etc) in Pueblo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM

11,865 posts, read 18,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWN14 View Post
How much difference is there in climate/weather in Pueblo compared to Colorado Springs and Denver?

Generally speaking Pueblo is hotter in the summer and winter but can be cooler at night. We get less snow and rain.

I think Pueblo might have a tad bit longer growing season but nothing to write home about and if you live in the city the soil is good but in the suburb of Pueblo West not so good.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM

56 posts, read 103,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The two main areas to avoid are the lower east side and Bessemer. Although I go there to shop and eat out as they have some great local restaurants.
Would that be all of Bessemer or the south end? We are looking at a commercial (mixed use) building on Northern and would live above the business. We were hoping to get in the downtown area, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Are there any other parts of town that are as walkable as the downtown area?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffitude View Post
Would that be all of Bessemer or the south end? We are looking at a commercial (mixed use) building on Northern and would live above the business. We were hoping to get in the downtown area, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
Personally I would not live in Bessemer but I have friends who do and they tell me its not as bad as I think. Now I do go there to pick them up, I was there last night actually, and I am not scared or have never seen anything bad happen so its not anywhere near what a bad area of town is like in say Denver. That being said there are other parts of town that are safer and to be blunt kept up nicer that I would recommend over Bessemer.

As far as the business district there. Other then a few well known places like Gagliano's its more of a local business district. Lower downtown is more of the regional place to shop especially with the convention center and Riverwalk. To be honest with all that is planned in downtown I envision that area to be a major regional shopping/ restaurant/ tourist/ business center that rivals Denver in the next 5 years. I know I am a optimist and a homer but there is a lot planned for downtown Pueblo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffitude View Post
Are there any other parts of town that are as walkable as the downtown area?
Not really to be honest.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 26,225 times
Default Parts of Pueblo.

So I'm trying to figure this out. I understand there's gang activity East and South. How is it in south pueblo but west of i-25. How far east if I-25 does the gang areas start? I've read on here about the bad areas but when trying to find a place to rent there's some places near I-25 on boths sides. Also south of the river but west of I-25 and north of northern ave. How's that?

Could someone be a little more specific on where the rough areas of town are instead of just south or east. It would be very very helpful much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM

55 posts, read 63,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWN14 View Post

I get about a 2 week head start on planting compared to my gardening friends in the Springs. The biggest benefit is; I get a bonus, late season lettuce and root crop before the first fall frost (something I couldn't do consistently in CS). The soil is good where we're at, on the Southside close to the river – sandy loam with less clay than SW Col Spgs. I still have to supplement with peat and compost to soften it up a bit. Last couple of years my tomatoes have been dying out by late Aug due to the heat, but got bumper crops mid June through late July. Perfect climate for potatoes. Yield about 40-50 lbs in an 8x12 by the end of May. Peaches the last 3 years, year before that spring frost got ‘em. We've been easing up quite a bit on gardening last year/this year due to the drought. Cheaper to get fresh produce out at the farms than watering. Hopefully it will be the same this year...

Old 04-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodad View Post
So I'm trying to figure this out. I understand there's gang activity East and South. How is it in south pueblo but west of i-25. How far east if I-25 does the gang areas start? I've read on here about the bad areas but when trying to find a place to rent there's some places near I-25 on boths sides. Also south of the river but west of I-25 and north of northern ave. How's that?

Could someone be a little more specific on where the rough areas of town are instead of just south or east. It would be very very helpful much appreciated.

Thanks
The part of town to avoid is the east side. That is east of I-25 but south of Highway 50 east and does not include the unincorporated part of Pueblo county where the farms are off Business 50 east. Also, avoid, Bessemer which is by Northern Ave around I-25.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM

55 posts, read 63,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Personally I would not live in Bessemer but I have friends who do and they tell me its not as bad as I think. Now I do go there to pick them up, I was there last night actually, and I am not scared or have never seen anything bad happen so its not anywhere near what a bad area of town is like in say Denver. That being said there are other parts of town that are safer and to be blunt kept up nicer that I would recommend over Bessemer.

As far as the business district there. Other then a few well known places like Gagliano's its more of a local business district. Lower downtown is more of the regional place to shop especially with the convention center and Riverwalk. To be honest with all that is planned in downtown I envision that area to be a major regional shopping/ restaurant/ tourist/ business center that rivals Denver in the next 5 years. I know I am a optimist and a homer but there is a lot planned for downtown Pueblo.

Not really to be honest.

I totally agree with Josseppie. Mrs M and I find ourselves walking around downtown a lot just because. I've been to Bessemer a million times, mostly to eat, Gags, Clamshell, Jorge's, Millstop, Gus' etc., but never just to mosey down Northern Ave to see what's up. Never felt unsafe, just kind of blah - like east Colfax. Maybe check out something in Mesa Junction or the area around 5th and Greenwood (by 80/20) where the Justice Center is going up...

Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM

13 posts, read 26,225 times
Ok, but are all areas east in the south east bad. South of which 50? It looks like there's 2 50's. Is all of Bessemer bad or just the area near the hospital? How about the areas on the north or south end of Bessemer? Looking at craigslist there's a lot of nice sounding places that are around the Bessemer area. There's also decent looking places east of 25 but not too far from the 25. When you guys say bad what's really going on there. Is there really a lot of crime or is it just where "the mexicans" live.
Spotcrime doesn't show any crime since March anywhere in Pueblo so I'm wondering if it's all that bad or just looks more run down. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Ok, but are all areas east in the south east bad. South of which 50? It looks like there's 2 50's.
Highway 50 is confusing in Pueblo as there are 3.

Highway 50 west that connects Pueblo to its largest suburb Pueblo West then goes on to Canon City and the mountains. The stretch of highway from Pueblo to Pueblo West will be made into a 6 lane freeway by 2020.

Two highway 50 easts

1) Bypass 50 east. It was named that because when it was built it bypassed the city. Not anymore as the city has sense grown. Living north of this road is ok but I would advise against living south of it. Not that its that bad, its not. In fact my boyfriend lives there and I was there just last night. However for a newcomer I would not recommend it.

2) Business 50 east. It got its name because it runs through the business district of the eastern suburbs which are more farming and rural communities. This area is safe to live but keep in mind its the suburbs and more rural.

Quote:
Is all of Bessemer bad or just the area near the hospital? How about the areas on the north or south end of Bessemer?
No in fact if I was to live in that area I would live kind of by the hospital. Its more of a working class neighborhood but not bad.

Quote:
Looking at craigslist there's a lot of nice sounding places that are around the Bessemer area. There's also decent looking places east of 25 but not too far from the 25. When you guys say bad what's really going on there. Is there really a lot of crime or is it just where "the mexicans" live. Spotcrime doesn't show any crime since March anywhere in Pueblo so I'm wondering if it's all that bad or just looks more run down. Thanks.
There are some nice places there I just tell new comers to avoid it because there are other nicer places in town that are more safe. If you feel that you really want to live there by all means go for it. Like I said my bf lives on the lower east side and likes it and has never had a issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado