U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:33 PM

13,644 posts, read 21,499,229 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say Pueblo is the sex offender mecca of anything. Perhaps Pueblo does a better job of catching them and getting them registered.

Take for example the recent number of rapes in Colorado Springs, 359 vs 21 for Pueblo over the same time span.

For CoSprings thats 0.83/1000 vs 0.19/1000 for Pueblo and 0.27/1000 vs the national average.

So Pueblo has fewer rapes vs the national average and Colorado Springs has almost four times as many as Pueblo per capita.

City-Data has their own stats on crime so check those, the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation), local sheriff's office, or the local police for further stats.

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-08-2014 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Sometimes prison populations can skew "crime stats" and in the case of Pueblo the stat SOJJ mentions may mean there are a lot of sex offenders in the state mental hospital in Pueblo. IIRC the same thing applies to the stats for Golden. In the same fashion, large military bases can skew population stats for a city to show tons more men of a certain age group are in an area - they are but it's a bit of an artificial distinction.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM

9,280 posts, read 5,788,929 times
I've always thought the neighborhood around the bakery (Banquet/Schusters?) on E Abriendo Ave was cute. If I'm up there around Christmas, I always hit that bakery up. I almost fell over the first time I walked in there, they have angel food cakes with icing like my great grandmother's used to bake back in the '70's.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 PM

508 posts, read 527,573 times
As to the sex offenders - these are folks spread all throughout the city, not concentrated in any kind of institution. It most likely has to do with it being a cheap place to live in the state. There is NO indication that the actual crimes were committed there - just that a registered sex offender (MANY registered sex offenders, actually) lives there.

That is the problem - I can see all the registered sex offenders - and there are a LOT of them, I have never seen that concentration in any other city I've looked at - but I can't get any stats on actual CRIMES.

The "east side" is supposed to be so horrible - but most of the nicer homes in the under 100k price bracket seem to be located there. Many of the crummiest, most rundown, cheapest properties are actually in the supposedly "good" parts of town.

The stats mentioned that city-data keeps only show the crime rate for the entire year for the entire city/area - it doesn't show where in the city the crimes actually occurred. So, that is also of limited usefulness.

Looking at google maps up and down the street near most of those less messed up properties, everything LOOKS nice, quiet and well-cared for. I can't tell if people's horror of the east side is due to actual, real crimes there - or some kind of pre-judging based on who lives there. That's where crime mapping comes in handy. Where I live now, certain areas are supposedly "bad" - but that is not in general born out by actual crime statistics in the area. Instead, the "badness" is based mostly on how white the neighborhood is - or is not. The REALLY "bad" part of town, where I live now, is a mostly white neighborhood. People do acknowledge that - but they also think these other areas are WORSE than they actually are.

Boulder city police do keep a crime map, but it only shows the last week. Its not much help in trying to guage the relative "safety" of any area. I can't even find THAT much for Pueblo.

Of course you can't rely totally on online impressions - but it sure helps to narrow things down and save time until you actually get there.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 AM

What are the sex offender stats for Pueblo West? Why are you so concerned with those? Do you have children you are concerned about? Statistically, the victim knows and is even related to the perp. I don't even know what you could do with the stats except to move to the "safest" parts of town but even still, stats also show that those perps cross all socio-economic boundaries.

I can't think of many areas on the lower east side that would hold their value well. It's a rough part of town statistically. If the homes are taken care of inside and out, that gives me some indication that the folks who live there are managing well and probably aren't into drama. There, you at least have a chance of not becoming one of those crime stats.

You're probably on the mark with the prevalence to low income living down here and certain types of crime. But some crimes don't seem to be tied to socio-economics. But some do.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Odd - I'm pretty sure I did NOT say I was concerned - only noted the unusual number of them living in the area. In fact I specifically stated that I am not so much concerned with the sex offenders themselves as I am with where crimes - ALL crimes, not just "sex" crimes - are being committed.

For that matter, sex offenders are not all child molesters. In fact usually only a small number of them are. Most have been convicted of something relatively petty, such as public urination. Of course some of them are as dangerous as people fear when they hear the word "sex offender". I do feel that is a failing of the sex offender registration program, that they mix all these other non-violent offenders in with the child molesters and rapists, and then publish EVERYBODY's names.

Nor am I concerned with an area's "reputation", but rather with the actual conditions. People's perceptions of an area are so often influenced by things that are not necessarily germane. What I AM concerned with is where crimes are concentrated, and of what type, and you can't see that without a crime map.

Perhaps you are assuming that I specifically searched for sex offenders? Nope. They just show up on the map. Since the sex offender registration program is a national database, a local police department doesn't have to participate in a crime mapping program - the sex offenders will show up on the map unless you specifically turn that feature off. However, if the local PD doesn't participate, then that's the ONLY thing that will show up on the crime map - because that is the only information in the database for the city.

At any rate. The east side may be the hotbed of crime it is reputed to be. I don't know. On the other hand it may not be the entire area but concentrated mostly in a few spots - I used to live in a neighborhood that was considered VERY rough, but most of the crime was concentrated at a bar in the area. Yup, there were knifings and shootings at that bar on a fairly regular basis - but outside of the bar there was virtually nothing else going on. Stay away from the bar at night and you were as safe as most anywhere else in the city. Safer, in fact, outside of that bar than many areas with much better reputations.

On the other hand, a few years back I was living in an area that was considered safe and quiet - and in the 6 months I lived there, there were 2 arsons and a number of thefts.

Crime mapping is such a useful tool, but I guess it just doesn't exist for a lot of the areas I've been looking at lately.

I keep hoping someone will come up with an obscure site that does it for Pueblo and other cities in CO though...

Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Well, when I went to look at crime rates for Pueblo West, I can get 30 days at a time on CrimeReports. Otherwise it only shows the last few days - so no crimes had been committed for several days when I was looking before. I don't use CrimeReports very often - I usually use RAIDS Online.

RAIDS Online doesn't have ANY data for CO for some reason, which is a shame - there I can look at the map for any length of time for which they have data, which is usually several years. It's usually most helpful to see the density map for the past year. CrimeReports doesn't give a density map option at all that I can find, and will only map crimes for one month at a time in a sliding window across the last 6 months (default is 3 days, which is about useless, IMO) . Nowhere near as useful - but better than nothing, I guess.

I'm not sure the crimes displayed are complete - it says data is provided by Pueblo County SHERRIF's department - I don't know if it includes crime reports from the city PD.

And in answer to your question about sex offenders in Pueblo West - there are nowhere near as many of them there as in Pueblo, and, more important, nowhere near the density (because obviously Pueblo West is a lot smaller than Pueblo). Crime rates in Pueblo West are irrelevant to me however because I don't drive, so Pueblo West isn't somewhere I could live.

No data at all for Boulder though so I am still limited there to the last week via the Boulder PD website.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:53 PM

I would guess that Pueblo West is about 30k in population and the land area is huge in size, but more densely populated on the part south of 50. It seems to me that Pueblo West is primarily residential. It's been about 5k until very recently. So it's young and experiencing growing pains.

Pueblo West is very conservative compared to the city of Pueblo. Perhaps the ag-based mesa on the southeast side of the County is as well. Colorado City and Rye is a bit more conservative as well.

It's my understanding that the city of Pueblo is under the jurisdiction of the City of Pueblo via the Police dept and the County at large... aka Pueblo West, Colorado City, Rye, the Mesa... is under jurisdiction of the Sheriff's dept.

Have you looked at the City Of Pueblo website for stats?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Yes, I couldn't find anything meaningful in the way of crime mapping. My goal is to see specifically where and when crimes are being committed - there are nearly always areas where crimes are clustered. I don't remember specifically whether they (Pueblo PD) listed raw statistics, but I couldn't find any crime mapping.

The raw statistics only serve to show crime rates for the entire city - they don't help at all to identify safer vs less safe neighborhoods. Even crime mapping can be a little less than revealing at times - if someone sets a fire in a trash can, that gets the same "arson" tag on the crime map as when someone sets a house on fire with people inside. If someone actually DIES, then that will get a homicide tag as well; but there's a big difference between a trash can fire and a house set ablaze, which you can't tell from the map tags alone. It's kind of like the whole "sex offender" tag. That is really not very useful because for every actual child molester or rapist, you've got like 10 guys who got drunk and got caught taking a **** outside the bar.

EDIT: Oh gee. They have censoring software. The censored word is a four letter word for "urination". LOL!
END EDIT

But the sliding month-window is better than nothing, so I'll try to get a picture of what goes on in the area by monitoring that for awhile. I won't be moving until my son relocates and I may yet go with him, we'll see.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Does this one help?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or