U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 PM

122 posts, read 118,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What disgusts you about Pueblo is exactly what disgusts me about Colorado Springs.

Colorado Springs took an otherwise beautiful stretch of land and ghettoed it up with freeway, buildings, parking lots, a strip-mined Purple-Mountain's Majesty... above the fruited plains.

Colorado Springs reminds me of trash with cash.

Pueblo is a rough town out on the plains and it never tried to be what it's not.

If you're going to live the city-life, I say go all the way and move to Denver and if you're going to move to the mountains then maybe try Conifer, Evergreen, Divide, etc... except for the disgusting flow of traffic leading into the metro on 285 every Monday morning.... 24 as is the case with Divide and Woodland Park.

This is just my own opinion of course. Good luck with yours.

When I think of a real steel town, I think of Gary Indiana.
McGowdog is correct. A native of the Springs told me years ago that the town was "expressly set up for tourism" which translates to CASH. If I want to escape (as a tourist) I go to Vegas (also lived there and wouldn't advise it...they like to kill pedestrians).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
^

I agree and I have always viewed the role of Pueblo as the counter balance to Denver in the state. To be fair I would include Grand Junction as well. The reason is those 3 cities are strategically located in the state making them hub cities for a large geographic region.
Grand Junction?
I lived there (worked at Community Hospital DO's). You're talking West range VS Front range and the economy of CO is driven by the Front range. GJ for me was a step back in time. Very conservative but what I found cute is that they count their mile markers to the Utah border...lol. In addition the town is not very well laid out...I70 is way North of the city but if you're a good cyclist it won't bother you. If you want a good 'dropout' place...low pop. GJ is a good bet but no competition for the Front Range. You're also within my favorite Nat'l Parks in Utah with Moab as the hub...but no commerce there. Can be boring for some.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is a interesting statement. Let me try to give my opinion being as specific as I can.

Do I think that CSU Pueblo will ever be a tier 1 university like CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins? No.

Do I think that CSU Pueblo will eventually grow to about the same size as CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins with a enrollment around 20,000 students? Yes.

Because of this I think Pueblo will be known as a college town just like Boulder and Fort Collins is just for students who attend a tier 2 university instead of a tier 1. However the economic impact on Pueblo will be just as large as the economic impact CU has on Boulder and CSU has on Fort Collins. I mean when the students and faculity spend money in the city it does not matter if its a tier 1 or tier 2 university as the money and economic impact is the same.

Pueblo is a regional city that has some national roots. In time Pueblo will grow but it will never be a Phoenix or Albuquerque, or Dallas nor does it have to be to be successful.

I agree with all of this. The only comment I will make is unless the Interstate and highway 50 are widened Pueblo will have traffic jams. Our interstate is most likely the worse designed interstate in the state as there are little to no acceleration and deceleration lanes. This week alone there has been 2 major accidents on I-25 causing major back ups. Unless this gets fixed the interstate will most likely be a parking lot during rush hour by the next decade. Same with highway 50 going towards Pueblo West as studies by CDOT have suggested people will be siting in traffic unless it is widened.
Great discussion and yes lower cost of living (maybe) to be had in Pueblo but for how long? "Will never be an Albuquerque"...I hope not, and know why? Albuquerque (the population ctr. of NM) has lost its' way (greed and the Feds) over the next great (and prolonged) fight in the West: water rights. Maybe...just maybe Pueblo has kept its' reigns on the water tap? With its' past rooted in steel one may never know? It takes water for growth. When I worked at CU Hospital in Denver and told a doctor I was moving to Phoenix he said: "That's sad. I'll go up to "Trail Ridge in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park and urinate in the CO river for you." Most of the water is polluted (uranium) in NM all thanks to the Federal Government designs on what they consider worthless land. Read all about it in VB Price's expose book: "The Orphaned Land"

Last edited by tommyp1; 02-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 AM

11,897 posts, read 19,072,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Great discussion and yes lower cost of living (maybe) to be had in Pueblo but for how long? "Will never be an Albuquerque"...I hope not, and know why? Albuquerque (the population ctr. of NM) has lost its' way (greed and the Feds) over the next great (and prolonged) fight in the West: water rights. Maybe...just maybe Pueblo has kept its' reigns on the water tap? With its' past rooted in steel one may never know? It takes water for growth. When I worked at CU Hospital in Denver and told a doctor I was moving to Phoenix he said: "That's sad. I'll go up to "Trail Ridge in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park and urinate in the CO river for you." Most of the water is polluted (uranium) in NM all thanks to the Federal Government designs on what they consider worthless land. Read all about it in VB Price's expose book: "The Orphaned Land"
Pueblo has enough clean water for a city of 500,000 people if we did not buy anymore rights. Which they always are. So that is not a issue for us.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 270 times
Does anyone know if 25th and Lombard ave or Lombard village in Pueblo county is bad or safe for a family?

Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 PM

11,897 posts, read 19,072,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jez14822 View Post
Does anyone know if 25th and Lombard ave or Lombard village in Pueblo county is bad or safe for a family?
Honestly it is not in the best area of town......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado