U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 PM
 
5,091 posts, read 13,176,113 times
Reputation: 6912

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not sugar coating anything. Statistics are what they are however for me the bottom line is do I feel safe as no town is worth living in if I did not feel safe. I can honestly say I have never felt un safe in Pueblo and I go out to eat, go to the bars, the musicals and walk around downtown from bar to bar or on the Riverwalk even late at night. I even have friends who live in the east side and I have no problem driving there at night.
It is not surprising that you would feel safer. Your are a native of the area, so you have the comfort of familiarity that gives you confidence and a feeling of security. We all have that feeling in our home turf. When you are native or a long term resident, you have the ability to function and learn the "street smarts" of your area. Sometimes the victim of crime are those who are ignorant of the threats around them.

I have lived in NYC and I live in Harlem for a time; I was in the South Bronx and this was the time when NYC was at the worse time of crime. It was surprising to see that the local natives where able to function, be happy and feel secure with all the threats that were apparent all around them. It was the same attitude of people that I met who lived in the East Side of Buffalo, near where I grew up. I have seen the same attitude of confidence from the locals. in very bad areas that I had to go for business in Las Angeles and Oakland, CA.

I do feel uneasy in many areas that I have no familiarity, but do function better much better in areas that have high crime that I know well. Being a New Yorker, nothing is really that frightening in these "play ghettos" of Colorado but as I age, I am losing some of the confidence of my youth. Yet, at the same time I am not a magnet of those who have to pump up their egos because I am increasingly viewed as a non-threat in competition for the "cows", from other "bulls" around me.

Most severe crime is perpetrated among the vermin of society against each other. We all learn to avoid much of that crime, we stay away from these groups that tend to breed these pests of society. If it is a racial group, cultural group or political group, we avoid them. If it is an area, we do not go there.

Now being a senior, I have other risks that I do not need to take. If it is younger hormone gushing age group, we associate not with them. If it is a time of day, we stay home. If it is an alcohol related event or holiday, like New Year's Eve or St. Pat or Cinco de Mayo, again, we stay home.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-24-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times
Reputation: 4132
I don't have a family plan and have never looked into the rates for one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times
Reputation: 4132
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It is not surprising that you would feel safer. Your are a native of the area, so you have the comfort of familiarity that gives you confidence and a feeling of security. We all have that feeling in our home turf. When you are native or a long term resident, you have the ability to function and learn the "street smarts" of your area. Sometimes the victim of crime are those who are ignorant of the threats around them.

I have lived in NYC and I live in Harlem for a time; I was in the South Bronx and this was the time when NYC was at the worse time of crime. It was surprising to see that the local natives where able to function, be happy and feel secure with all the threats that were apparent all around them. It was the same attitude of people that I met who lived in the East Side of Buffalo, near where I grew up. I have seen in very bad areas that I had to go for business in Las Angeles and Oakland, CA.

Most severe crime is perpetrated among the vermin of society against each other. We all learn to avoid much of that crime, we stay away from these groups that tend to breed these pests of society. If it is a racial group, cultural group or political group, we avoid them. If it is an area, we do not go there.

Now being a senior, I have other risks that I do not need to take. If it is younger hormone gushing age group, we associate not with them. If it is a time of day, we stay home. If it is an alcohol related event or holiday, like New Year's Eve or St. Pat or Cinco de Mayo, again, we stay home.

Livecontent
I get what you are saying as I have lived in a few cities and traveled to even more as I have been to every continent on earth except the ant arctic. Does Pueblo have issues uniquely related to a working class steel town? Sure but the crime is no where near what you find in the rust belt cities of Youngstown or Gary. Or in the major metro areas like DC or New Orleans etc. I say that as a openly gay male who has no fear of going out at night even to many of the straight bars. Pueblo is a live and let live town. Look what has been going on in Denver in LODO with the police force or downtown Colorado Springs on any given weekend. I have never seen that in Pueblo's E distinct and I go out not every weekend but a lot.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,968 posts, read 8,900,001 times
Reputation: 18342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I get what you are saying as I have lived in a few cities and traveled to even more as I have been to every continent on earth except the ant arctic. Does Pueblo have issues uniquely related to a working class steel town? Sure but the crime is no where near what you find in the rust belt cities of Youngstown or Gary. Or in the major metro areas like DC or New Orleans etc. I say that as a openly gay male who has no fear of going out at night even to many of the straight bars. Pueblo is a live and let live town. Look what has been going on in Denver in LODO with the police force or downtown Colorado Springs on any given weekend. I have never seen that in Pueblo's E distinct and I go out not every weekend but a lot.
Which identity do you want to choose for Pueblo? A "steel town" or a "university town". Seems like you grasp at any little attention-getter that Pueblo gets. Me thinks thou dost attest too much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Good ole Pueblo a.k.a P-Town
28 posts, read 84,667 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It is not surprising that you would feel safer. Your are a native of the area, so you have the comfort of familiarity that gives you confidence and a feeling of security. We all have that feeling in our home turf. When you are native or a long term resident, you have the ability to function and learn the "street smarts" of your area. Sometimes the victim of crime are those who are ignorant of the threats around them.

I have lived in NYC and I live in Harlem for a time; I was in the South Bronx and this was the time when NYC was at the worse time of crime. It was surprising to see that the local natives where able to function, be happy and feel secure with all the threats that were apparent all around them. It was the same attitude of people that I met who lived in the East Side of Buffalo, near where I grew up. I have seen the same attitude of confidence from the locals. in very bad areas that I had to go for business in Las Angeles and Oakland, CA.

I do feel uneasy in many areas that I have no familiarity, but do function better much better in areas that have high crime that I know well. Being a New Yorker, nothing is really that frightening in these "play ghettos" of Colorado but as I age, I am losing some of the confidence of my youth. Yet, at the same time I am not a magnet of those who have to pump up their egos because I am increasingly viewed as a non-threat in competition for the "cows", from other "bulls" around me.

Most severe crime is perpetrated among the vermin of society against each other. We all learn to avoid much of that crime, we stay away from these groups that tend to breed these pests of society. If it is a racial group, cultural group or political group, we avoid them. If it is an area, we do not go there.

Now being a senior, I have other risks that I do not need to take. If it is younger hormone gushing age group, we associate not with them. If it is a time of day, we stay home. If it is an alcohol related event or holiday, like New Year's Eve or St. Pat or Cinco de Mayo, again, we stay home.

Livecontent
I understand what you are saying but the part of your comment, that I feel need addressing is the fact that since you are from a part of NYC, or that's where you may of resided during a time period, your naive enough to think that Pueblo's unforunate, bad or higher crime areas are "play ghettos". Last time I've heard guns with bullets dont hurt any less because of the area you reside. The potential spray paint that graffti's the buildings of NYC would be the same type that vandals use here to deface property, I don't believe its wash away, just because its a "play ghetto" the baseball bats, that break windows here, would be made out of the same wood, that would be used in "the real" ghettos, it's not plastic, I dont think. My point I'm getting at is that, most people with that type of view or confidence that "oh that area is just faking" are usually the first ones who have issues, because of underestimating the situation. Most of us on here have lived, or resided for some amount of time in some major Metropolis in the United States. I personally would never lower my situational awareness, just because I may of grew up on the mean street of "pick a city". If anything all that would of done for me is make me smarter for identifying potential bad situations to avoid due to my insight.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,314 posts, read 10,465,436 times
Reputation: 13262
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddd74 View Post
I understand what you are saying but the part of your comment, that I feel need addressing is the fact that since you are from a part of NYC, or that's where you may of resided during a time period, your naive enough to think that Pueblo's unforunate, bad or higher crime areas are "play ghettos". Last time I've heard guns with bullets dont hurt any less because of the area you reside. The potential spray paint that graffti's the buildings of NYC would be the same type that vandals use here to deface property, I don't believe its wash away, just because its a "play ghetto" the baseball bats, that break windows here, would be made out of the same wood, that would be used in "the real" ghettos, it's not plastic, I dont think. My point I'm getting at is that, most people with that type of view or confidence that "oh that area is just faking" are usually the first ones who have issues, because of underestimating the situation. Most of us on here have lived, or resided for some amount of time in some major Metropolis in the United States. I personally would never lower my situational awareness, just because I may of grew up on the mean street of "pick a city". If anything all that would of done for me is make me smarter for identifying potential bad situations to avoid due to my insight.
That was a good post. I think that livecontent makes a good point as well, and that is that most "ghettos" in Colorado are not as bad as in some of the other cities. I am originally from L.A. and can tell you that the worst of Colorado's ghettos would not be considered all that dangerous by the locals in L.A. I got lost in Baltimore once, and oh my... I happened to have my .45 with me (long story) and I feared I was going to have to use it! Colorado cities generally have it good.

That is not to say that Colorado cities are without their problems. Your point about damage is still damage, crime is still crime is as legit as it can be. But it is also valid to say that bad neighborhoods in Colorado cities are not as bad as bad neighborhoods in other cities. As a general rule it is good practice to keep your wits about you regardless of your location.

As for the crime in Pueblo, I understand that it is higher than other Colorado cities. Like most places with high crime, there are pockets that skew the average. Overall I do not think that Pueblo is an unsafe town, but there are certainly places to avoid at night if you are an outsider.

You will often hear NFL players state that their team is not as good as its best performance and it is not as bad as its worst performance. Any time I hear an extreme opinion about an area, good (I'm looking at you, Joss ) or bad, I take it with a grain of salt. Both sides probably have a little bit of truth, but ultimately someone hearing good or bad reviews of a place should just go see for themselves and make their own opinion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
 
20,321 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Reputation: 18108
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That was a good post. I think that livecontent makes a good point as well, and that is that most "ghettos" in Colorado are not as bad as in some of the other cities. ....
For me, the key distinction is the HUGE size of the ghetto areas of the big city ghettos. In COLO, I've seen none of that smelly, sprawling, block after block of burned-out, boarded-up, crumbling derelict properties. There is poverty, danger, violence and despair here too, but IMO it's limited. I think the size of the problem is a point we can all agree on....
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Good ole Pueblo a.k.a P-Town
28 posts, read 84,667 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That was a good post. I think that livecontent makes a good point as well, and that is that most "ghettos" in Colorado are not as bad as in some of the other cities. I am originally from L.A. and can tell you that the worst of Colorado's ghettos would not be considered all that dangerous by the locals in L.A. I got lost in Baltimore once, and oh my... I happened to have my .45 with me (long story) and I feared I was going to have to use it! Colorado cities generally have it good.

That is not to say that Colorado cities are without their problems. Your point about damage is still damage, crime is still crime is as legit as it can be. But it is also valid to say that bad neighborhoods in Colorado cities are not as bad as bad neighborhoods in other cities. As a general rule it is good practice to keep your wits about you regardless of your location.

As for the crime in Pueblo, I understand that it is higher than other Colorado cities. Like most places with high crime, there are pockets that skew the average. Overall I do not think that Pueblo is an unsafe town, but there are certainly places to avoid at night if you are an outsider.

You will often hear NFL players state that their team is not as good as its best performance and it is not as bad as its worst performance. Any time I hear an extreme opinion about an area, good (I'm looking at you, Joss ) or bad, I take it with a grain of salt. Both sides probably have a little bit of truth, but ultimately someone hearing good or bad reviews of a place should just go see for themselves and make their own opinion.
Yes I agree with you 100%, I'm not trying to say by no means that Pueblo would have the same violence, and vandalism that a major city would have with a population 1 million+. I guess my point was, if I was shot by a bullet whether intentional, or unintentional, and death was the endstate, my last words wouldnt be "at least I was shot in Pueblo and not NYC" it would of been so much worst, because the area has a higher murder rate. Now I do believe most peoples views of Pueblo, whether good or bad, come from mostly their experiences while living here, and less from stats " when it comes to a personal view". My opionion would be alot different from someone who maybe lives on a different side of town. Like when it comes to employment in Pueblo, I rarely comment on this topic, because my families livelihood doesnt rely on the job market here in Pueblo, since my employment is based out of Fort Carson, but I would say if I did live on "the bad side of town", and I was without employment, and if my property got vandalized every so often, then I too would have a different view of Pueblo. Thats why when gathering all the facts, I take alot of things into consideration, to include the one who is giving me the information.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,837 times
Reputation: 13
Hey i'm just a CSU college student who has moved here last fall for school, originally from Denver i honestly got to say there is more violence in Denver. The first week i was here i went to Monica's taco shop and a "gangster" approached me, next thing you know he started to joke with me and my two friends. I've been all over town and i like going to the east side to the recs to play basketball and i got to say everyone is nice, never have i felt unsafe. The only down part of Pueblo is that lately 3G has sucked.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,832 times
Reputation: 15
Moved out of Pueblo last summer. Grew up over there and now that I've been gone for a while, I don't ever want to move back. Crime is bad. Blight is everywhere. Gangs are prevalent. Teenage pregnancy is through the roof.

Pueblo has basically turned into a "welfare town" with no opportunities whatsoever.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top