U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which identity do you want to choose for Pueblo? A "steel town" or a "university town". Seems like you grasp at any little attention-getter that Pueblo gets. Me thinks thou dost attest too much.
Cities can and should have more then one identity. Historically Pueblo has not and that is the root of the problems that started here when the steel industry collapsed. Now today the steel mill was able to rebound and is doing good so the term "steel town" still applies. On top of that with the change of USC to CSU Pueblo and the growth of the institution since then Pueblo is quietly becoming a "university town" as well. That is great news for the city and one that I talk about a lot.

You have no idea how excited I get when Pueblo makes the national news in a positive way. My uncle who lives outside of Pueblo will mail me clippings of the NY Times if he see's a article about Pueblo as he knows I would like to see it. Someone can make fun of me, I dont care. They can make fun of my family again I don't care. However if they make fun of Pueblo them there fighting words. I have been this way my entire life and will most likely be this way till I die.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM

18,968 posts, read 8,900,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Cities can and should have more then one identity. Historically Pueblo has not and that is the root of the problems that started here when the steel industry collapsed. Now today the steel mill was able to rebound and is doing good so the term "steel town" still applies. On top of that with the change of USC to CSU Pueblo and the growth of the institution since then Pueblo is quietly becoming a "university town" as well. That is great news for the city and one that I talk about a lot.

You have no idea how excited I get when Pueblo makes the national news in a positive way. My uncle who lives outside of Pueblo will mail me clippings of the NY Times if he see's a article about Pueblo as he knows I would like to see it. Someone can make fun of me, I dont care. They can make fun of my family again I don't care. However if they make fun of Pueblo them there fighting words. I have been this way my entire life and will most likely be this way till I die.
You put far too much emphasis on Pueblo being a "college town". I first went to university in a small town, college town in New York State...you know...the thriving metropolis of Brockport. Or would you like to choose similar "college towns" like Geneseo, Plattsburgh, Alfred, Binghampton, Cortland, Fredonia, Herkimer, New Paltz, Oneonta, Oswego, Potsdam.

It's nice that Pueblo has a college. It doesn't make it Yale or Harvard.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You put far too much emphasis on Pueblo being a "college town". I first went to university in a small town, college town in New York State...you know...the thriving metropolis of Brockport. Or would you like to choose similar "college towns" like Geneseo, Plattsburgh, Alfred, Binghampton, Cortland, Fredonia, Herkimer, New Paltz, Oneonta, Oswego, Potsdam.

It's nice that Pueblo has a college. It doesn't make it Yale or Harvard.
No CSU Pueblo will never be a Yale or Harvard and Pueblo will never be a Boston. What I am hoping for is something more modest. As CSU Pueblo grows to 20,000 students so will its research and companies should move to Pueblo to locate next to the university causing Pueblo to top 325,000 people in 30 years, 11 times more growth then it saw in the past 50. Maybe like a Duluth Minnesota as they are home to the University of Minnesota - Duluth and their metro population is 276,000.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 25 days ago)

10,314 posts, read 10,465,436 times
But is Duluth's population what it is BECAUSE of their university? I would argue not. At least not entirely.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But is Duluth's population what it is BECAUSE of their university? I would argue not. At least not entirely.
Duluth is/was a major great lakes port for ore boats.....and other heavy industry.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 25 days ago)

10,314 posts, read 10,465,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Duluth is/was a major great lakes port for ore boats.....and other heavy industry.
Exactly my point. Joss, just because a town has a university does not mean it is going to grow. There are plenty of small towns across the country that have major universities. Ames, Iowa; Manhattan, Kansas; and Auburn, Alabama come readily to mind.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Exactly my point. Joss, just because a town has a university does not mean it is going to grow. There are plenty of small towns across the country that have major universities. Ames, Iowa; Manhattan, Kansas; and Auburn, Alabama come readily to mind.
I understand that throwing a university in a city won't automatically make it grow as there are other factors involved and it, also, depends on the university itself. Is it the kind of a university that is going to attract companies or not. Pueblo is a good example of that as it has had a university since the 1970's yet it was not the kind of university to help attract companies so none moved here because of the university. I don't believe that to be the case anymore as the Colorado State system is known for its research and I can already see a difference in Pueblo as in the past 7 years Pueblo was seriously considered by outside developers for a tech park and a research and development park. Now granted they have yet to happen because of the recession but prior to this Pueblo was not even considered for developments like that. I think that trend will continue.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,176,113 times
Your competition is not always another University but another campus of that University. If someone was doing research and had the pull and the funds to bring it to Colorado State University, I believe they would try harder to make sure the location would be in Fort Collins, not Pueblo.

There is no doubt that Fort Collins is a more desirous place to live than Pueblo for the educational elite. The educational elite will attract industrial researchers who will prefer Fort Collins over Pueblo. Pueblo will get some research initiatives because they would be site specific and more appropriate for Pueblo. However, the majority of people will want the research to be where they more enjoying living, and that would be Fort Collins/Loveland.

That is why Boston is more a location for hi-tech than Buffalo or Detroit. Boston is a much better city for quality of life and the perception of these qualities. The same applies in looking at Fort Collins over Pueblo.

Ah, but continue to give us some of your humorous hype--it does not hurt and Colorado still needs Pueblo to thrive and not be ignored. Saying all that, Fort Collins/LoveLand and with Greeley will grow together to be the next larger metro area not Pueblo.

If you really want to get blunt about it and stop all this political correct filtering of information. Some of the problem is: Many White people want to live with white people because they view it as a better quality of life and crime which they associate with people of color--in this case, Hispanics and Mexicans. Fort Collins is mostly white, and Pueblo has too many Hispanics and Mexicans. Oh, yea you will find many of those hypocrites on Universities who espouse the liberal ideas but really speak out of the side of mouths and want White only communities.

I, on the other hand, would be very happy and content to live with the Hispanic community. My neighborhood has a higher percentage of Hispanics than others. I enjoy the Hispanic culture and I think those who ostracize it, ignore it and criticize it are not my type of folks. I can easily live in Pueblo and have been positively influenced by your hype and banter. In addition, I believe the growing Hispanic community is becoming a power that must be recognized and cherished, for they offer much to the American experience.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-28-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,826,095 times
LC, other ethnic groups had the same problem when they first came here, including your Italian ancestors, who got treated poorly just like the Jews, Poles, Chinese, Vietnamese boat people, and other nationalities and races. These days, no one thinks twice about those groups, they're well-regarded fellow citizens (except in the eyes of the KKK-style bigots). In a generation it will be the same with the Hispanics, who I find to be among the best workers I've ever seen, and their food is good and girls pretty....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 PM

^

I can see there being healthy competition between CSU Fort Collins and CSU Pueblo especially as CSU Pueblo grows but I see that as a advantage to both schools not a disadvantage. No one can deny that CSU Pueblo is already a much better school and that Pueblo has seen the benefit and it has been less then 10 years. On top of that everyone is expecting CSU Pueblo to continue to grow and improve so fast forward 10, 20, and 30 years what will the university be like and what kind of social and economic impact will it have on Pueblo? If the last few years are any indication I think it could be much more then I think possible.

Finally I want to say I am not ignoring your comment about Fort Collins being a better place to live as that is subjective and I think by now we all know what I am going to say . I will say both universities growing and becoming stronger is only good for the system and that is why I am glad the system Chancellor is in Denver, a more neutral location, so they can make sure both universities can do the best they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or