U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 AM

8,241 posts, read 13,482,062 times

Advertisements

Now we've got homeless and jobless single moms getting robbed down here.

A pretty bad black eye on Pueblo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM

633 posts, read 892,792 times
Default Why are crime stats so high in Pueblo?

I've been doing some research on places to relocate to and noticed that crime statistics are pretty high for the Pueblo area. It seems like a nice city with a clean downtown and reasonable cost of living.

It has dry summer heat...much better than the humid summers of Sw Mo. Is the crime a reflection of a certain population on a certain side of town? I'm not stating that I believe everything that I read by any means but for a city of just over 100,000 the violent crimes of Rape, Murder, and Robbery are high statistically.

What would you say some positives and negatives are of the Pueblo area?
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM

184 posts, read 252,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I've been doing some research on places to relocate to and noticed that crime statistics are pretty high for the Pueblo area. It seems like a nice city with a clean downtown and reasonable cost of living.

It has dry summer heat...much better than the humid summers of Sw Mo. Is the crime a reflection of a certain population on a certain side of town? I'm not stating that I believe everything that I read by any means but for a city of just over 100,000 the violent crimes of Rape, Murder, and Robbery are high statistically.

What would you say some positives and negatives are of the Pueblo area?
Thanks!
The crime rate in Pueblo is high because there is a lot of crime!

If you think the violent crime rate is high, check out the property crime rate. If you have a vehicle with a nice radio/cd player, someone will try to steal it, regardless of what side of town you are on. The city has a serious drug problem, and the current economic conditions aren't helping anything. Most crime happens in the rougher parts of town (Bessemer, East Side, West Side), but it seemed like crime was happening everywhere when I moved away a year ago.

Now for the pros and cons....

Pros
  • Low cost of living
  • Great food
  • Minimal traffic

Cons
  • High crime rate
  • Schools consistently perform below the state average
  • Limited job opportunities
  • Prevalent welfare culture
  • Torridly hot summers

Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
The crime rate in Pueblo is high because there is a lot of crime!

If you think the violent crime rate is high, check out the property crime rate. If you have a vehicle with a nice radio/cd player, someone will try to steal it, regardless of what side of town you are on. The city has a serious drug problem, and the current economic conditions aren't helping anything. Most crime happens in the rougher parts of town (Bessemer, East Side, West Side), but it seemed like crime was happening everywhere when I moved away a year ago.

Now for the pros and cons....

Pros
  • Low cost of living
  • Great food
  • Minimal traffic

Cons
  • High crime rate
  • Torridly hot summers
Yikes!!! Ok...I'll scratch Pueblo off my list.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Status: "CSU P football NCAA at national championship!" (set 2 days ago)

10,360 posts, read 11,932,868 times
We have talked about this many times on here molly and I suggest you read some of our posts. I will say that Pueblo is a very safe town and I would not live here, or any town, if I did not feel completely safe as no town is worth it.

As far as what Durango Bound said about Pueblo:

Pros
  • Low cost of living
  • Great food
  • Minimal traffic
All of these are true but I will add:

Great fairs, including the state fair Colorado largest annual event that celebrates agriculture, the Wild Wild West Fest and the Chili festival, named as the second best festival in the nation.

Good art and culture scene including a large performing arts center and theater and great local productions.

Nice outdoor activities including a large reservoir, bike trails, river, kayaking, close to great skiing etc. One last thing Pueblo is home to a urban Riverwalk with outdoor amphitheater that is one of only a few like it in the nation.

Good shopping for a city of 110,000 people as we are the shopping hub for a 20 county region. Personally I can find anything I need in Pueblo.

Good college sport scene with CSU Pueblo.

Good restaurants as we are a top 10 food and culture city in the nation.

If you need to drive to the larger cities its only a 30 minute drive to Colorado Springs and a 90 minute drive to Denver.

Cons
  • High crime rate
As I have posted it is not high here especially compared to places like Chicago, Gary Indiana, Washington DC etc. I go out a lot in downtown at night and never have had a issue and I say that as a openly gay male.

The schools do have their issues especially in the city but the suburbs have great schools and even the ones in the city one can get a good education if one puts him or her self into it. I went there and do not feel exceptional yet I ended up getting a MBA from the University of San Diego, the 14 ranked business school in the nation.

Pueblo is also home to Colorado State University - Pueblo. It is a regional comprehensive university and one of the fastest growing universities in the state. And Pueblo Community College that has campuses all over southern Colorado.

This is true and one area Pueblo needs to work on.

This is partially true and something that Pueblo needs to work on so that they can have a better life. Then again its not like they are bad people and generally do their best to make Pueblo a better town so I don't see why that would impact if someone wants to move here or not.

• Torridly hot summers
Pueblo is no Phoenix or Las Vegas or Palm Springs or Houston or Orlando etc when it comes to hot summers. Sure it gets in the 90's and a few days above 100 but its dry and always cools down at night with lows generally in the 60's even in July.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
We have talked about this many times on here molly and I suggest you read some of our posts. I will say that Pueblo is a very safe town and I would not live here, or any town, if I did not feel completely safe as no town is worth it.

As far as what Durango Bound said about Pueblo:

Pros
  • Low cost of living
  • Great food
  • Minimal traffic
All of these are true but I will add:

Great fairs, including the state fair Colorado largest annual event that celebrates agriculture, the Wild Wild West Fest and the Chili festival, named as the second best festival in the nation.

Good art and culture scene including a large performing arts center and theater and great local productions.

Nice outdoor activities including a large reservoir, bike trails, river, kayaking, close to great skiing etc. One last thing Pueblo is home to a urban Riverwalk with outdoor amphitheater that is one of only a few like it in the nation.

Good shopping for a city of 110,000 people as we are the shopping hub for a 20 county region. Personally I can find anything I need in Pueblo.

Good college sport scene with CSU Pueblo.

Good restaurants as we are a top 10 food and culture city in the nation.

If you need to drive to the larger cities its only a 30 minute drive to Colorado Springs and a 90 minute drive to Denver.

Cons
  • High crime rate
As I have posted it is not high here especially compared to places like Chicago, Gary Indiana, Washington DC etc. I go out a lot in downtown at night and never have had a issue and I say that as a openly gay male.

The schools do have their issues especially in the city but the suburbs have great schools and even the ones in the city one can get a good education if one puts him or her self into it. I went there and do not feel exceptional yet I ended up getting a MBA from the University of San Diego, the 14 ranked business school in the nation.

Pueblo is also home to Colorado State University - Pueblo. It is a regional comprehensive university and one of the fastest growing universities in the state. And Pueblo Community College that has campuses all over southern Colorado.

This is true and one area Pueblo needs to work on.

This is partially true and something that Pueblo needs to work on so that they can have a better life. Then again its not like they are bad people and generally do their best to make Pueblo a better town so I don't see why that would impact if someone wants to move here or not.

• Torridly hot summers
Pueblo is no Phoenix or Las Vegas or Palm Springs or Houston or Orlando etc when it comes to hot summers. Sure it gets in the 90's and a few days above 100 but its dry and always cools down at night with lows generally in the 60's even in July.
Thanks! I appreciate your honesty. These are some things I have to take a serious look at as a single mom.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,423,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

Cons
  • High crime rate

That's like saying that the streets are quite safe as compared to places like Kabul, Baghdad, and Damascus. The cities you mention have the worst crime in the nation--the fact that you use them in a comparison is telling.

@Molly--Pueblo's schools are statistical disasters. Getting a good education for a child there can be done with heavy parental oversight and involvement, but it will be in spite of the school system, not because of it. And that assumes you can prevent your kids from falling into the drug scene plaguing the Pueblo schools.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
That's like saying that the streets are quite safe as compared to places like Kabul, Baghdad, and Damascus. The cities you mention have the worst crime in the nation--the fact that you use them in a comparison is telling.

@Molly--Pueblo's schools are statistical disasters. Getting a good education for a child there can be done with heavy parental oversight and involvement, but it will be in spite of the school system, not because of it. And that assumes you can prevent your kids from falling into the drug scene plaguing the Pueblo schools.
Yea my son is 16...I have to consider that. The fact that I only have one child helps with a move but he is at that age TEENAGERS!!! Ugh! LOL
I was afraid to consider Colorado Springs...one for the size and the other for cost of living.

However, I was reading that it is very spread out and some jobs in my field pay very well. So I am very hopeful. I have heard consistently negative things about Pueblo overall and I cannot ignore that.
Thanks for you input!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Status: "CSU P football NCAA at national championship!" (set 2 days ago)

10,360 posts, read 11,932,868 times
Quote:
I picked those cities because they are similar to Pueblo, historic manufacturing cities. Not sure why I threw in Washington DC as Pueblo is nothing like the nations capitol.

This is the stats about the major cities in the state from the Denver Post:

This is out of 400 cities.

Pueblo ranked 112
Denver ranked 141
Aurora ranked 171
Colorado Springs ranked 175
Greeley ranked 247
Fort Collins ranked 260

The link: In crime report, Pueblo ranks highest in Colorado - The Denver Post

As you can see Pueblo is the highest ranked city but not by much. Sure Pueblo has its bad parts of town (the lower east side and parts of Bessemer) but what city over 100,000 does not? The bottom line is I am a homer but if I felt unsafe I would never live here as no town is worth my safety period.

Quote:
The city schools are having some issues but the suburban schools are doing great. If the OP feels the city schools are not up to her standards she could look into Pueblo West, Pueblo largest suburb. That being said I still stand behind the city schools and if the student puts a effort in his or her education they will do good.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM

8,241 posts, read 13,482,062 times
Or Colorado City and Rye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado