U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 30,499 times

Advertisements

How is the crime rate in Pueblo Colorado? We are looking to move that way soon but want to see the crime rate first. We have 2 kids that are under 4 years of age. We are in Ohio but want to move more closer to my family. Maybe within the next 4-5 months.
Id like to know im moving to a safe area where there is no robbery near me every week! Any advice would be appriciated!

Im also seeking a job in the area in a few months. anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by slade2477; 02-11-2012 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Added detailes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Pueblo is a lot like Gary, Indiana... without all the glitter.

Crime is bad.

Schools are bad.

Jobs are scarce.

Good luck.

Add to Slade; Welcome to City-Data.

If you would do a search on Pueblo + Crime within the CD Colorado subforum here, you'll see more of what you don't want to see. Affordable? Sure... with a decent job. But therein lies the paradox.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-11-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 30,499 times
Well i didnt wanna hear all that! LOL
Maybe ill find another place for cheap. I didnt want to move to Aurora, maybe out side of Parker i can find some cheap living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Pueblo is a lot like Gary, Indiana... without all the glitter.

Crime is bad.

Schools are bad.

Jobs are scarce.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,344,698 times
I think McGowdog was trying to make a joke.

Crime is not bad in Pueblo unless you live in the east side and I would highly recommend you do not. I have lived in Pueblo most of my 38 years and have never had a real problem. Now finding a job can be hard in Pueblo, it depends what you are looking for. The schools are good and Pueblo is home to both a community college (Pueblo Community College) and major 4 year university (Colorado State University - Pueblo).

If you have anymore question feel free to ask.....

Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Best way for the OP to get good advice is to tell us what sort of work he/she does, budget for rentals or buying, etc.

Mere stats on crime rates and other data is all over the internet for the googling and is not a useful metric for a primary search factor as every city has its good and bad parts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM

21 posts, read 48,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mere stats on crime rates and other data is all over the internet for the googling and is not a useful metric for a primary search factor as every city has its good and bad parts.
Very true. In Pueblo, the area east of I-25 and south of Hwy 50 is the "bad" part of town. There are a couple other smaller pockets within the city limits that have a high crime rate, but the rest of the city is reasonably safe. Pueblo West, the largest suburb, is relatively crime-free (especially violent crime) and has much better schools than Pueblo. I have found it to be a safe place to live.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 PM

28 posts, read 84,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade2477 View Post
How is the crime rate in Pueblo Colorado? We are looking to move that way soon but want to see the crime rate first. We have 2 kids that are under 4 years of age. We are in Ohio but want to move more closer to my family. Maybe within the next 4-5 months.
Id like to know im moving to a safe area where there is no robbery near me every week! Any advice would be appriciated!

Im also seeking a job in the area in a few months. anyone have any ideas?
It's good to do your homework, but don't overstudy, if you get my meaning. I've been here for almost a year now, and when I look back at the amount of homework I did on Pueblo, I laugh at myself a little. Location, location, location, is the key here in Pueblo. If your the type of person, that don't put yourself in compromising situations ie: going to cruise the East side of Pueblo around 1am or so, or hanging out in shady spots, then you really should have little or nothing to worry about. Theres alot of good housing choices here in pueblo, without even giving the East side/Lower East side, Bessemer a second thought. Me personally I'm more fond of The Northside, Aberdeen, Mesa Junction, and Downtown. Dont really care for Hyde Park, and Skyview, to out in the boonies, away from everyting that I wanted to live here to enjoy.. As for jobs, I guess if this was a major concern of mine, then Pueblo probably wouldnt be where I would live. Cost of living here is dirt cheap, almost to good to be true, that it alone would make a person skeptical, but overall not a bad place.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM

I don't think that it's THAT cheap.

Think about how much you pay for petro... 3.05+/gal. Diesel... 3.65+/gal.

Food is expensive... even in the Walmart[s].

License tags are outrageous. Living off the Front Range a scosh doesn't save you from THIS fate.

How about that heat bill in the winter months? Or that electric bill in the summer? Ask Joss about his water bill. Or better yet, don't.

How much for your 3G Verizon smartphone? Does it cost less than what you would pay in Denver? Dallas?

I've heard that you can make 15 bucks/hr working at McDonalds in Gillette Wyoming or up in North Dakota. Don't think this is true of Pueblo. Oh, and ask a waiter or waitress how well the typical Puebloan tips in these lucrative times.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM

18,883 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think McGowdog was trying to make a joke.

Crime is not bad in Pueblo unless you live in the east side and I would highly recommend you do not. I have lived in Pueblo most of my 38 years and have never had a real problem. Now finding a job can be hard in Pueblo, it depends what you are looking for. The schools are good and Pueblo is home to both a community college (Pueblo Community College) and major 4 year university (Colorado State University - Pueblo).

If you have anymore question feel free to ask.....
It WRONG for you to try to sugarcoat important data like crime rates. Every city, large or small, has its better and worse neighborhoods.

Bottom line: (From 2010) "Pueblo is has the 112th highest crime rate out the 400 cities listed. The city's crime rate is nearly 70 percent above the national average. Denver is second in the state, ranking 141 nationally with a crime rate at 52 percent above the national average." "Pueblo has the highest crime rate among all Colorado cities, according to the 2010-2011 crime index report released Wednesday by the Uniform Crime Reporting Program."

Or look here:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Check out the second graph about violent crime.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:10 AM..

Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Nice charts and all. Pueblo has some work to do.

But with regards to violent crime, Denver and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedhas some work to do as well. They need to get them forcible rape and aggravated assault stats headed back down sometime soon.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or