U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 AM
 
590 posts, read 2,007,832 times
Reputation: 417

Advertisements

Large parts of Lower Alabama are still "Old South" where if you aren't born there you will always be an outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Earth
1,442 posts, read 3,569,857 times
Reputation: 844
Default Maine

If you want rural isolation and smaller communities, check out Maine (beyond the greater Portland & Augusta areas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM
 
3,764 posts, read 7,199,178 times
Reputation: 4005
mnichols, Durango has one of the most incredible community garden projects which is the most productive garden I have ever seen. It is really amazing and something worth touring. Folks are certainly doing things together in that garden and there are a lot of small towns outside of Durango. I am cooking a sauce with sun-dried tomatoes from there as we speak.





Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1970 View Post
My family is 'starting over' and leaving Arizona. I have lived in AZ for 16 years and it is time to stretch somewhere else. It is just too isolated feeling here without a deep sense of community.

About me:
1. I work at home remotely, so can live pretty much anywhere.
2. I want to have a garden and some livestock.
3. I am a Christian
4. I've been all over Colorado quite a bit and especially love the Pagosa Springs/Durango area

I'd like to get us into a rural town where folks still do things together.

The mountain towns in Arizona are just plain strange and folks seem distant. In some the hippy communities have them not-family-friendly.

As much as I love Colorado I am concerned the small towns there will have the same isolation culture.

My questions are:
1. Is rural Colorado of the 'new people are always new' mentality?
2. Do folks in rural Colorado do things together or is everyone holed up with their TV?

Any experiences from people with families who have moved into rural Colorado would really be valuable to me.

TIA
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM
 
20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Reputation: 18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1970 View Post
....

@Mike from back east: I am from Harrisonburg, VA (JMU) before moving to AZ. Funny huh? I love that area and my folks still live in NOVA in Chantilly. We are also considering down near Pearisburg....
Amazing! We lived in Chantilly (Brookfield) from 1977-2005 and just had to get out of that traffic, crowding and insane realty prices. That area you're from is truly awesome and should be far enough from DC to be reasonably affordable.

When I worked for the Army back in NOVA we had guys commuting daily from as far out as Charlottesville.

If you like gardening and critters, you would love the book Omnivore's Dilemma that tells about a farmer down near C-ville who has all but re-invented how to farm and raise animals without massive reliance on petroleum and chemicals.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 AM
 
Location: relocating
69 posts, read 155,213 times
Reputation: 29
Default Most People in Durango come from Flagstaff and Arizona, NOT from California

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1970 View Post
My family is 'starting over' and leaving Arizona. I have lived in AZ for 16 years and it is time to stretch somewhere else. It is just too isolated feeling here without a deep sense of community.

About me:
1. I work at home remotely, so can live pretty much anywhere.
2. I want to have a garden and some livestock.
3. I am a Christian
4. I've been all over Colorado quite a bit and especially love the Pagosa Springs/Durango area

I'd like to get us into a rural town where folks still do things together.

The mountain towns in Arizona are just plain strange and folks seem distant. In some the hippy communities have them not-family-friendly.

As much as I love Colorado I am concerned the small towns there will have the same isolation culture.
I Agree with you about Flagstaff. As a potential colorado newcomer I have some of the same questions that you do.

It's interesting that there is no massive exodus of trust funders from California to Durango. Instead, Census records show that most emigrants are from Arizona (including Flagstaff) and Colorado. Durango's economy is also #1 whereas those mountain towns in Arizona are way down the list - http://www.forbes.com/special-report...migration.html
Econ Strength Perhaps this reflects the fact that those from Colorado must work for a living if they move to Colorado - i.e. they can't be trust funders.

Whereas in Bend, Oregon ..... lots of trust funders living off Southern California money.

I found the work ethic to be very high in Durango and all of western Colorado when I visited there - same thing when I lived in New Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
mnichols, Durango has one of the most incredible community garden projects which is the most productive garden I have ever seen. It is really amazing and something worth touring. Folks are certainly doing things together in that garden and there are a lot of small towns outside of Durango. I am cooking a sauce with sun-dried tomatoes from there as we speak.
Do you have any recommendations of small towns nearby? Bayfield ? Pagosa Springs ? etc...



JR1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Reputation: 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
I Agree with you about Flagstaff. As a potential colorado newcomer I have some of the same questions that you do.

It's interesting that there is no massive exodus of trust funders from California to Durango. Instead, Census records show that most emigrants are from Arizona (including Flagstaff) and Colorado. Durango's economy is also #1 whereas those mountain towns in Arizona are way down the list - American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
Econ Strength Perhaps this reflects the fact that those from Colorado must work for a living if they move to Colorado - i.e. they can't be trust funders.

Whereas in Bend, Oregon ..... lots of trust funders living off Southern California money.

I found the work ethic to be very high in Durango and all of western Colorado when I visited there - same thing when I lived in New Mexico.



Do you have any recommendations of small towns nearby? Bayfield ? Pagosa Springs ? etc...



JR1
This post is laughable. First, Durango is full of ex-pat Californians--some of them making an intermediate stop in Arizona. Second, the economic "atmosphere" of Durango and Flagstaff is not different, it is eerily similar. Anyone who has spent time in both places, and I have, will tell you that. The "work ethic" comment is especially lame. Durango is chock full of $500K+ houses. I can absolutely guarantee you only a relative handful of the people occupying those houses are making a living in the local economy. A few of them may make their living by telecommuting or by spending time working elsewhere for days, weeks, or months at a time, but most are either trust-funders, wealthy retirees, or part-time residents with minimal connection with the local economy. Statewide, the mountain and resort areas of Colorado probably have a higher concentration of trust-funders than any other state in the Union. You continue to spew statistics with no understanding of how the data was collected or analyzed--and without any true knowledge of the area other than a cursory superficial visit. Then you want to debate people who have spent most of their working careers working in the rural Colorado economy, who spend decades researching how it functions, who understand the industries that support it (or don't), and have a long history of watching economic changes and trends.

By the way, I was on the phone with a Durango person intimately familiar with the local economy just in the last couple of days, and I will be through there on business once again within the next week. I'm not some casual visitor making cursory observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Reputation: 9287
mnichols1970 wrote:
We are also considering down near Pearisburg.
Based on what you seem to be looking for, you have a FAR better chance of finding it in the Pearisburg area than anywhere in Colorado. Good luck with your relocation dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 PM
 
Location: relocating
69 posts, read 155,213 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
This post is laughable. First, Durango is full of ex-pat Californians--some of them making an intermediate stop in Arizona. Second, the economic "atmosphere" of Durango and Flagstaff is not different, it is eerily similar. Anyone who has spent time in both places, and I have, will tell you that. The "work ethic" comment is especially lame. Durango is chock full of $500K+ houses. I can absolutely guarantee you only a relative handful of the people occupying those houses are making a living in the local economy. A few of them may make their living by telecommuting or by spending time working elsewhere for days, weeks, or months at a time, but most are either trust-funders, wealthy retirees, or part-time residents with minimal connection with the local economy. Statewide, the mountain and resort areas of Colorado probably have a higher concentration of trust-funders than any other state in the Union. You continue to spew statistics with no understanding of how the data was collected or analyzed--and without any true knowledge of the area other than a cursory superficial visit. Then you want to debate people who have spent most of their working careers working in the rural Colorado economy, who spend decades researching how it functions, who understand the industries that support it (or don't), and have a long history of watching economic changes and trends.

By the way, I was on the phone with a Durango person intimately familiar with the local economy just in the last couple of days, and I will be through there on business once again within the next week. I'm not some casual visitor making cursory observations.
Jazz your knowledge and comments are very much appreciated (as are wannerroo and others), and I read all of them, however, they are repeated to every person who presents a list of cities to this forum. Perhaps the only new info that I have to offer are my link showing Durango is #1 among all small towns for economic growth, from Dr. William Fruth ...

And, Pearisberg, VA (from MNichols1) sounds interesting ....

Thanks......



JR1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
 
3,764 posts, read 7,199,178 times
Reputation: 4005
JR1, I would not consider Pagosa nearby Durango.

I have liked visiting friends who live on one of the country lanes out 160 between Durango & Bayfield. Lots of deer in the neighborhoods, large lots, nice walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
Do you have any recommendations of small towns nearby? Bayfield ? Pagosa Springs ? etc...
JR1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top