U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 AM

11 posts, read 15,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I also dealt with the Aspen crowd a bit as I would go over there for work sometimes. That's where the Hollywood, look at me, it's all about me, nosecandy snorting, i'm so green range rover driving, in analysis high falutin' trust fund or hollywood paycheck crowd resides. Aspen is all about showing off and making a big scene and Vail is not like that at all.
I know right...?

I ran into these two rich pretentious idiots in Aspen and just had to take a video. I laugh every time I watch it - with their Lamborghini and "High Fashion" - Ha!

There ya go - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,002 times
I was born and raised in Avon. (And a former Ski Club racer but in the days before it cost $14 g for an alpine season alone just because every wealthy person in the US wants their kid to be the next Lindsey... I raced with her at Ski Club and let's say it wasn't the coaches there that made her great.)

The Valley can be broken down into 3 groups of full time resident families.

The very wealthy year round (a number that's growing more than seasonal) residents who live in the touristy areas of Vail or Beaver Creek. They send their kids to Vail Mountain School and they all do Ski Club. They all drive Audi Quattros. They're the ones with the full time professional jobs, the lawyers, the doctors, etc. They're the "15" so to speak that has always been here and always will. They set the standards the middle group strives for (a life of leisure with nice toys and giving your kids everything. Like I said the starting tuition for Ski Club alone is $14,000... keeping up with the Joneses in the Valley with your kids is a very expensive battle). These people aren't the ones you'll be running into all the time despite everyone having the idea the biggest problem in Vail is running into people wiping their nose with hundred dollar bills and pushing them out of the way. Yeah the tourists are annoying in the winter but they mostly are who they are.

The biggest and most quickly growing group is the upper middle class folks who live in Eagle and Edwards mostly and have moved here in the last 5-15 years. Giant suburban type neighborhoods like Homestead, Singletree and Eagle Ranch have popped up to allow people the "comforts" of a place like Highlands Ranch in the Valley. Most kids ski too and they don't go to public school until high school. K-8 is spent at Stone Creek Charter, Eagle County Charter. St. Clare, Homestake Peak, etc. Anywhere where there only Spanish spoken is in an elective class. Sad but true. They all end up at Battle Mountain or Eagle Valley HS though because the tuition at VMS is outrageous. They all too try to drive brand new SUVs. Most don't work substantial jobs (working at ski school doesn't count) and many adults are still using trust funds. One person will open a yuppie baby clothing store and their friends shop there and the owner will then patronize their other friend's dating service. So really outside a handful of teachers (like me!), management seasonal jobs (managing HR at Beaver Creek, running children's ski school, etc) there isn't a whole lot of legitimate employment in this group. Lots and lots of debt.

The last group is predominately Hispanic. They live in the older apartments and trailer parks of Avon, Edwards, Eagle and Gypsum, sometimes along side the seasonal college age employees who stuff 10 people in an apartment. Their kids go to the public elementary schools like Avon (95% Hispanic, their preschool is 100%), Gypsum, June Creek and Edwards (which despite being the feeder schools for Singletree and Homestead, have a majority Hispanic population). They do most of the actual work in the Valley, driving trucks, cleaning hotels, working at the grocery store, working in all the restaurants. Their kids only ski through the Eagle Valley Learn to Ski program that Beaver Creek does where each school goes twice a year to the mountain.

Basically the Valley is a weird dynamic and growing weirder. I'm a teacher in the public schools and we just had a huge cut again to staff. It's my opinion you can't call a place a "wonderful place to raise a family" until you want to send all your children to the public schools there. And right now that seems to be a huge issue for the growing population in Eagle County that want to pretend they live in a Highlands Ranch ski town.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,501,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaz1 View Post
I know right...?

I ran into these two rich pretentious idiots in Aspen and just had to take a video. I laugh every time I watch it - with their Lamborghini and "High Fashion" - Ha!

There ya go - YouTube
Funny that Aspen didn't want that movie giving them a bad name so they had to film it at the Stanley Hotel and also over at Breckenridge and Copper Mountain.

The irony about some of those Aspen people is they spend so much displaying wealth, they don't have any money left over for a tip! And then you had some that would pull a huge wad of their cash out of their pocket big enough to choke an elephant and also so everyone could see, and hand over a $100 bill or 2 like it was nothing.

I always made more consistent and better tips in Vail/Beaver Creek and always enjoyed the people more overall. Lots of really extreme people in Aspen.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_four View Post
I was born and raised in Avon. ....
I've heard many times that it's a tough deal in the local public schools because so many of the kids are Mexican and only speak spanish, at least at first.

Of a lot of those upper middle class types with families, many of those people had the door slammed shut on them with the global financial crisis and the local collapse of real estate developers and financial problems with associated industries and also many took a hit when Vail Resorts moved a lot of their corporate staff down to Broomfield near Denver. I have heard plenty of sad stories and some struggling ones with friends and family.

I remember helping out with a friend of mine when Harry Frampton was giving a tour to investors at the Westin complex in 2006. My friend and I had already discussed things we had heard about the condo market imploding elsewhere and my friend said to me "Doesn't it look like they are trying to hurry up to warp speed and finish this place before the market collapses?" I said yep it certainly looks like it. The writing was on the wall and with the fact I would not anytime soon be able to afford a detached house in the Valley, I took my leave by 2007 and moved on.

If you have the means, it is a cool place to live because of the scenery and there is tons to do, plenty of activities and plenty of places to eat, drink and be merry. I'd go back again, it's pretty much my other home town, but right now I'd probably only do it for 3 months a year, such as renting a furnished condo in the summer.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-17-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM

3,174 posts, read 7,001,149 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Avon. ...
I live here and don't fit into the 3 groups you have laid out. I agree that they exist but there are many other people up here that don't fall into your categories.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-17-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Avon...
Appreciate the comments.

Despite the upper-middle-classers not wanting to send their kids to the local public schools, are they bad places to send your kid?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM

336 posts, read 896,371 times
I live in Edwards, teach in Eagle County and am desperately hoping to find a position in Denver next year. I will say that I'm an "outsider" (born and raised in the midwest) so take my comments with a grain of salt. I love my school, but I think this is an awful place to live. I think the majority of the people are very pretentious but somehow have this idea that they're "laid back." To me it seems to be all about proving how "hardcore" you are in regards to skiing/snowboarding and other winter/outdoor activities. People are incredibly full of themselves when it comes to this. Obviously, bad snowstorms are frequent. Coming from the practical mindset of the midwest, I'm still shocked when people inevitably launch into stories where they brag about the storms they've driven through and try to one-up each other. I'm sorry, but the fact that you purposely drove through a blizzard and almost died just so you could go skiing is absurd to me- and to be proud of it and bragging about it on top of that! I find that all of the people here are extremely similar- if you fit into that personality, great, you'll love it. For those of us that don't have a life consuming obsession with skiing, tough luck. I actually like skiing- but I see it as a fun hobby and not something to wrap my entire life existence around. People around here don't seem to understand that. There is nothing else to do and no one talks about anything else. I don't know how many more mind-numbing conversations about "powder" I can handle. For you personally, I think it's about finding out if a) you fit in with the "group personality" up here, and b) if you do, if you're okay with little to no diversity/everyone kind of thinking/behaving the same way. People who live here tend to love it, so obviously I'm in the minority. People like me to tend to move. If you have specific questions about the school district, PM me and I'd be happy to answer them.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM

3,174 posts, read 7,001,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
I live in Edwards, teach in Eagle County and am desperately hoping to find a position in Denver next year. I will say that I'm an "outsider" (born and raised in the midwest) so take my comments with a grain of salt. I love my school, but I think this is an awful place to live. I think the majority of the people are very pretentious but somehow have this idea that they're "laid back." To me it seems to be all about proving how "hardcore" you are in regards to skiing/snowboarding and other winter/outdoor activities. People are incredibly full of themselves when it comes to this. Obviously, bad snowstorms are frequent. Coming from the practical mindset of the midwest, I'm still shocked when people inevitably launch into stories where they brag about the storms they've driven through and try to one-up each other. I'm sorry, but the fact that you purposely drove through a blizzard and almost died just so you could go skiing is absurd to me- and to be proud of it and bragging about it on top of that! I find that all of the people here are extremely similar- if you fit into that personality, great, you'll love it. For those of us that don't have a life consuming obsession with skiing, tough luck. I actually like skiing- but I see it as a fun hobby and not something to wrap my entire life existence around. People around here don't seem to understand that. There is nothing else to do and no one talks about anything else. I don't know how many more mind-numbing conversations about "powder" I can handle. For you personally, I think it's about finding out if a) you fit in with the "group personality" up here, and b) if you do, if you're okay with little to no diversity/everyone kind of thinking/behaving the same way. People who live here tend to love it, so obviously I'm in the minority. People like me to tend to move. If you have specific questions about the school district, PM me and I'd be happy to answer them.
Again, not saying these people don't exist, but there are many people up here that you may not have social contact with that don't fit into this stereotype. I don't ski, most of people I work with don't ski, we don't talk about driving through blizzards to ski, but then again most of us have lived up here for a number of years, are older and have real lives.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
No question, skiing dominates a lot of the talk and interest in the valley, after all there are 2 ski resorts(if you lump BC, BG and Arrowhead all together) in the valley!

But you know in 7 years, I never skied once. After a bad saucer sled incident at the old Minturn sled mountain that looked like a recreation of the famous scene from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, I recognized that going down a mountain with 2 sticks on my feet was not a good idea. I'm more comfortable with car racing and shooting guns in competition. Snowmobiling I feel at ease with.

True that when I told people I didn't ski they looked at me like I was a martian or had horns growing out of my head, but there are always other things to talk about or do. And there is always summer to look forward to.

Realistically, most people don't last more than a season or two. It is a very different, extreme place that has a lot of people coming and going and I think most people strive for some normalcy eventually and move to a city or regular town. Sometimes only after you've been away from a place you get 20/20 perspective and when in 2007 I got out there traveling the country for work, it took me a while to adjust to "normal" people.

But I am still strongly connected to the town, I'll be back again very soon, it's pretty much my other "hometown".

Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM

336 posts, read 896,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Again, not saying these people don't exist, but there are many people up here that you may not have social contact with that don't fit into this stereotype. I don't ski, most of people I work with don't ski, we don't talk about driving through blizzards to ski, but then again most of us have lived up here for a number of years, are older and have real lives.
I have heard stories about these supposed people that live here and don't ski, but I've been here for two years and literally not met a single one of them. That's not just within my job- I go out a lot and am constantly talking to new people at bars and such and I have never met one person that says they don't ski or snowboard. I have met one or two who said they weren't "as interested" in skiing, but were interested in other "outdoorsy" things such as the hiking, camping, fishing- not being too much of an outdoorsy person myself, I lump all of that stuff together. Most of the people I work with are in there 30s-50's and most have also lived here for at least 10 years. When I first got here they were constantly talking about how the teacher whose position I took "couldn't handle the winter, wasn't into skiing etc." as if she were just sooo ridiculous. Many have children so they're in to the "family stuff" too, but even that revolves around skiing. My friend was just bragging about skiing lessons for her 1 1/2 year old who can't even walk that steadily, and no one but me thinks it's unusual to put the kid in ski lessons. One of my good friends hurt her ankle this summer and had a boot/cast. When we were walking around the vail village in AUGUST someone literally stopped her every few minutes to say, "Oh my god what happened?! Are you going to be able to ski?!" As if there is no reason to go on living otherwise- this was literally more than 20 people that stopped us in a single afternoon. Even my friend, who is an avid skier, got annoyed with it. I could see how if you were really into skiing/snowboarding or other outdoorsy things, this area would be attractive to you. If not however, there is nothing to do outside of "outdoorsy" stuff. No shopping, few to no affordable dining options, few shows/concerts and no "real" concerts, very limited nightlife with no way affordable transportation to get there, meaning someone always has to drive, etc. Unless you were really interested in the outdoorsy stuff, I can't imagine why you would leave all of the options of Denver to live here.

Last edited by harrison21; 02-23-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or