U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 AM

2,972 posts, read 6,626,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
I have heard stories about these supposed people that live here and don't ski, but I've been here for two years and literally not met a single one of them. That's not just within my job- I go out a lot and am constantly talking to new people at bars and such and I have never met one person that says they don't ski or snowboard. I have met one or two who said they weren't "as interested" in skiing, but were interested in other "outdoorsy" things such as the hiking, camping, fishing- not being too much of an outdoorsy person myself, I lump all of that stuff together. Most of the people I work with are in there 30s-50's and most have also lived here for at least 10 years. When I first got here they were constantly talking about how the teacher whose position I took "couldn't handle the winter, wasn't into skiing etc." as if she were just sooo ridiculous. Many have children so they're in to the "family stuff" too, but even that revolves around skiing. My friend was just bragging about skiing lessons for her 1 1/2 year old who can't even walk that steadily, and no one but me thinks it's unusual to put the kid in ski lessons. One of my good friends hurt her ankle this summer and had a boot/cast. When we were walking around the vail village in AUGUST someone literally stopped her every few minutes to say, "Oh my god what happened?! Are you going to be able to ski?!" As if there is no reason to go on living otherwise- this was literally more than 20 people that stopped us in a single afternoon. Even my friend, who is an avid skier, got annoyed with it. I could see how if you were really into skiing/snowboarding or other outdoorsy things, this area would be attractive to you. If not however, there is nothing to do outside of "outdoorsy" stuff. No shopping, few to no affordable dining options, few shows/concerts and no "real" concerts, very limited nightlife with no way affordable transportation to get there, meaning someone always has to drive, etc. Unless you were really interested in the outdoorsy stuff, I can't imagine why you would leave all of the options of Denver to live here.

Everyone has different things they want in life. Denver may be better for you, I don't ski but still prefer it up here, it's not the place for most people, which is one of the reasons I have enjoyed living in remote ski resort areas for more than 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
Quote:
I have heard stories about these supposed people that live here and don't ski, but I've been here for two years and literally not met a single one of them. That's not just within my job- I go out a lot and am constantly talking to new people at bars and such and I have never met one person that says they don't ski or snowboard. I have met one or two who said they weren't "as interested" in skiing, but were interested in other "outdoorsy" things such as the hiking, camping, fishing- not being too much of an outdoorsy person myself, I lump all of that stuff together. Most of the people I work with are in there 30s-50's and most have also lived here for at least 10 years. When I first got here they were constantly talking about how the teacher whose position I took "couldn't handle the winter, wasn't into skiing etc." as if she were just sooo ridiculous. Many have children so they're in to the "family stuff" too, but even that revolves around skiing. My friend was just bragging about skiing lessons for her 1 1/2 year old who can't even walk that steadily, and no one but me thinks it's unusual to put the kid in ski lessons. One of my good friends hurt her ankle this summer and had a boot/cast. When we were walking around the vail village in AUGUST someone literally stopped her every few minutes to say, "Oh my god what happened?! Are you going to be able to ski?!" As if there is no reason to go on living otherwise- this was literally more than 20 people that stopped us in a single afternoon. Even my friend, who is an avid skier, got annoyed with it. I could see how if you were really into skiing/snowboarding or other outdoorsy things, this area would be attractive to you. If not however, there is nothing to do outside of "outdoorsy" stuff. No shopping, few to no affordable dining options, few shows/concerts and no "real" concerts, very limited nightlife with no way affordable transportation to get there, meaning someone always has to drive, etc. Unless you were really interested in the outdoorsy stuff, I can't imagine why you would leave all of the options of Denver to live here.
Sounds like you need to move! LOL!

For the area there is some shopping and plenty of restaurants as well as plenty of concerts and events, especially considering the local population. There is almost always There is only 40000 people total in Eagle County(which is probably the size of Connecticut).

Like I said it is a ski town, so skiing is a big part of it.

But it's not a place for everyone and most people don't last.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM

739 posts, read 2,677,755 times
Ugh! I wrote this long post and it disappeared... that is what I get for trying to be all crafty and "quote" someone!
First- Thanks all of you who replied. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Well, I am still nervous, not sure I'll ever feel 100% about this. I alwasy have it in the back of my mind that where we live is pretty great, so why do I think it will be better there? I worry too about the isolation factor, the mud season, the harsh winter. I do feel like I know Vail very well, we've spent about 5 years going there every weekend, doing seasonal rentals in the surrounding area. We know lots of locals too as my daughter has been w/ the program and also my husband taught ski school. I still worry though about the "smallness" of it and know the grass is not always greener. What is most concerning is the "alot of people can't hack it and move after 1-2 years" attitude. No one likes to make a mistake. But I feel like I need to get some credence to the fact that I can't stop thinking about moving to the mountains after 5 years.

We are going to talk to a realtor here to see what may be realistic for our home. This is the first time we "May" be able to get a fair price. IF that is not the case, then we aren't selling anyway. Even though prices have come down significantly (I no longer have to go to Eagle to afford a SFH), they are still higher than the expensive suburb we live in now. I definitely don't want to move up and be house poor.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM

320 posts, read 848,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Sounds like you need to move! LOL!

For the area there is some shopping and plenty of restaurants as well as plenty of concerts and events, especially considering the local population. There is almost always There is only 40000 people total in Eagle County(which is probably the size of Connecticut).

Like I said it is a ski town, so skiing is a big part of it.

But it's not a place for everyone and most people don't last.
I'm working on it! I am working on filling out job applications for every school district in Denver as we speak hoping that I can get something even though everyone is cutting budgets. I am fortunate to be "safe" from the Eagle County cuts but I don't think I can last another year out here.

There is no shopping unless you're wealthy- I'm certainly not going to spend 600 dollars on a sweater. We have to drive to Silverthorne for the outlets if we want anything other than Walmart/City Market. I'd say the same for the restaurants- most aren't affordable for someone living on my salary.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
Ugh! I wrote this long post and it disappeared... that is what I get for trying to be all crafty and "quote" someone!
First- Thanks all of you who replied. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Well, I am still nervous, not sure I'll ever feel 100% about this. I alwasy have it in the back of my mind that where we live is pretty great, so why do I think it will be better there? I worry too about the isolation factor, the mud season, the harsh winter. I do feel like I know Vail very well, we've spent about 5 years going there every weekend, doing seasonal rentals in the surrounding area. We know lots of locals too as my daughter has been w/ the program and also my husband taught ski school. I still worry though about the "smallness" of it and know the grass is not always greener. What is most concerning is the "alot of people can't hack it and move after 1-2 years" attitude. No one likes to make a mistake. But I feel like I need to get some credence to the fact that I can't stop thinking about moving to the mountains after 5 years.
I think the way you can frame it in your mind is that this is a resort/tourist area, not a regular town. Tourism and those that can afford 2nd homes pretty much drive the economy and most businesses cater to that. It also drives the yearly calendar in that there is a significant part of the year when it is pretty quiet. In fact once ski season ends, within a week or two, you can walk through Vail or Beaver Creek village and see no one.

Personally for me I am a seasonally minded person. I like a "season" to have a beginning and then an end. Then you have a break and it all starts again. Whether motor racing or skiing, I like that way of life and I'll never be a 9 to 5 person. A lot of people that just blows all the fuses in their brain of what the paradigm is when it comes to a normal life. So you have to adjust to that cadence of seasonal life in the valley, even if you are working your normal hours.

In terms of people not hacking it, mostly what it comes down to is the demographics and economics of the valley. It is very expensive to live there and decent jobs are very hard to come by. So most people come to the valley, have a good time for a year or two and then move on to a regular city or town where they can have a regular job and a regular house/apartment at regular prices. One example is harrison21 on this thread. A year and a half ago they were posting here asking about moving to the Vail Valley, they did that and now they are climbing the walls to get out.

And then the other group is the wealthy who might live there part of the year, while traveling the other part keeping an eye on their business. They can afford to do whatever they want.

The harsh winter is definitely something to consider. The first snowflakes might fall in September, certainly by mid October and winter does not release it's grip until almost June.

The isolation, everyone I think gets cabin fever, especially in winter and I always left the valley for 2-4 months in the off season.

One adjustment is your real estate dollars are not going to buy an equivalent property in the Vail Valley. What is your real estate budget?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
I'm working on it! I am working on filling out job applications for every school district in Denver as we speak hoping that I can get something even though everyone is cutting budgets. I am fortunate to be "safe" from the Eagle County cuts but I don't think I can last another year out here.

There is no shopping unless you're wealthy- I'm certainly not going to spend 600 dollars on a sweater. We have to drive to Silverthorne for the outlets if we want anything other than Walmart/City Market. I'd say the same for the restaurants- most aren't affordable for someone living on my salary.
Good luck with your move. I hope you found some positives to take away from your experience.

Shopping is much better than before. When I moved there, Wal Mart was a cramped store in Avon(now the Office Depot or whatever it is) and City Market nearly had the monopoly on supermarket shopping. Costco is now in Eagle. Glenwood has plenty of shopping and so does Summit County. And I never minded the drive as it was an excuse to get out of the valley.

The restaurants are not what they were compared to before you came. The "Great Recession" has had a big impact on the restaurants in the valley and the turnover has been shocking. I noticed on my trips to the valley since I moved, almost all of my old favorites had either gone out of business or the food quality had tanked(likely a sign of cutting corners). But a lot of places had deals going and I always had luck with places like the Avon Bakery, Pazzos, The Saloon, etc. I'll be back in the valley again soon, so I will be checking it all out again, seeing what has changed.

Another thing is if you do end up stuck in the valley for a while, get a 2nd job, especially in the summer. That will open you up to a new set of people to socialize with and a lot of interesting tourists come through the valley as well who are nice to talk to. I think my head would probably explode too if I was working in the local schools and that was all I knew. I worked for a very well known company there in Edwards and we had quite a few people that didn't ski and were into all sorts of stuff. I still miss very much working with all those people.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,145,112 times
Harrison, I'm curious what your motivations were for moving up to Vail? What did you envision the area being like?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM

236 posts, read 395,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
Well, I am still nervous, not sure I'll ever feel 100% about this. I alwasy have it in the back of my mind that where we live is pretty great, so why do I think it will be better there?
alot of people say you can't run from lifes problems... they just follow you where you go. I am a naysayer though, I believe that ones surrounding environment plays a large role in that ones physical and mental well being.

sometime I think we are better people when we are not settled in... may not make much sense but I can't wait for that point in the future when I can just keep chasing that feeling... it's what it's all about

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM

320 posts, read 848,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Harrison, I'm curious what your motivations were for moving up to Vail? What did you envision the area being like?

I had no intention of staying here- I knew it was a location I wouldn't like. I was looking for a teaching job in my home state (midwest) and it was late July/early August. In my home state, all teachers have to say whether they're coming back to the school by July 10th, so right after that is basically the last time you'll be able to find anything. The market is incredibly saturated (thousands of people applying for one job) and there was no possibility of even subbing for a year. Sub lists have hundreds of people waiting to get on the "official call" list and many had been on there for over a year. If I stayed I would have ended up using my four year college degree to live with my parents and keep my minimum wage summer job. And then a year later, was I really going to have any luck looking for jobs again, taking a year off with no related teaching experience? Someone told me at this time that the market for special ed teachers was really good in Colorado and that I could find a position easily. I applied to the first two positions I saw and this one called and hired me within the week. The other one (colorado springs) called too, but at that point I'd already accepted this job. I'd never been to Colorado and never heard of Vail- all I knew was that it was in the mountains and would be snowy. I figured I could handle anything for a year, and at that point I'd have an easier time finding another job since I'd have some "real" experience on my resume but would still be an inexpensive employee. I ended up falling in love with the school so I stayed on a second year because I was so happy professionally, even though I disliked the area. Last year I signed up for a lot of ski lessons, went camping, snowshoeing, hiking, etc. trying my hardest to fit in and see what people love about this area so much, hoping that since I was so happy professionally I could learn to be happy here personally as well. What I learned through this process is that you can't change who you are, "hardcore outdoorsy" is just so NOT me.

So I guess the short answer is I expected nothing other than to survive and to get a year of professional experience. I moved here because I couldn't find a job anywhere else, not because I thought it would be fun to live in the mountains. I hadn't realized how good the market really is for special ed out here so I didn't have time before to apply to other places in CO that might have been more desirable. That's essentially what I'm doing now- I know in this economy it would be silly to leave a place that has so many job opportunities for me, but I'm at least going to find an area in the state that's more "me" than mountain living.

Last edited by harrison21; 02-26-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM

236 posts, read 395,194 times
I didn't see a poll... I vote for Mountains but you could always move in between like Nederland or Woodland Park ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or