U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,065,080 times

Advertisements

I would really recommend visiting and spending a LOT of time in Colorado, the western slope is so different than the front range, and the high country is different than both. There's crime, drugs and gangs everywhere, to a lesser extent on the western slope but they're here. You also need to realize the distances involved in living in a smaller town, driving a hundred miles for groceries isn't uncommon.

And if anyone wants to know what things would be like if "the big one" whatever that may be, hits, just remember Katrina.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM

8,318 posts, read 23,933,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson65 View Post
Thanks for the info After further consideration, and I've been discussing this with my wife for the past few days, we've decided to scrap the idea of moving to the four corners area. We have no loyalties there, it just seemed at first glance like it would be a great place to relocate to.

Three things that drove us to this decision: One, I don't feel comfortable about the tensions that exist there between the Native Americans and Anglo peoples, and the gangs. When the crap hits the fan (i.e. E.M.P.), utilities will shut down, and rioting will soon break out, then the looting of grocery stores and pharmacies, and everything else. I can't help but feel as if the NA's will come off the reservation and ransack the place! Not only them, but the gangs are going to rear their ugly heads, and us honest folk, who are trying to help each other out and do the right thing, are going to be at a severe disadvantage. I think we'll more than likely be outnumbered, overtaken, and worst...dead. Two, there is the employment issue (lack of jobs). My wife, as a chemist/lab tech, probably is not going to find a good job in the area. Third, I'd rather be on the CO side, but it's quite a bit more expensive closer to Durango, which is where we would rather be. Alas, maybe after the kids are grown.

So, we've decided to look to the east, on the front of the range, maybe Pueblo or Canon City. Thanks again for your input!

If the wheels do come off of the economy, which I do consider as a distinct possibility, the bigger problem in the 4-corners area will not be rioting Native Americans or gang-bangers, but simply a lack of much economic activity to employ very many people. Simply put, the lifestyle will become much more austere than most yuppie transplants will be willing to endure. The long-time locals, whatever their ethnicity, who know what it's like to live in an austere economic environment will survive and likely bond together while doing so. That was the environment in that area during the long period after the Silver Panic of 1893 and until the area really started to boom again, beginning in the 1950's and 1960's and really going nuts in the last 30 years.

I quoted this passage by John Norwood, who grew up in Monero and Chama, New Mexico, in his book, Rio Grande Narrow Gauge (my notations in parentheses), in an earlier post. It describes very well how the area around Durango and Four Corners existed during those "depressed" years--an impoverished but livable existence for those willing to endure its privations.

Quote:
Starting at Antonito (Colorado, 28 miles south of Alamosa) the population mixture to Arboles (east of Durango near today's Navajo Reservoir) consisted of some Anglos, a few south Europeans, and Hispanics, the latter counted for 80 to 90 per cent of the inhabitants. West of Arboles the percentage dropped to about 50 per cent . . .

On the Santa Fe branch and the San Juan route, the Anglo and Hispanic cultures lived and worked together, played the same, with neither assimilating the other to any degree. The Hispanics were, if anything, more religious, quieter, less contentious and with better morals than the Anglos. They knew how to enjoy galas, holidays, and warm summer nights when romance was in the air better than the Anglos--and these aspects of narrow gauge life and living were soon adopted by the railroaders and others along the three-foot gauge.

All in all, it was an easy-going, carefree way of living with only a few individuals, Anglo, Hispanic, or other, wanting to set the world on fire or garner riches. And the people of the narrow gauge sphere did not change until near the end of the railroad operation (in 1968). The change came coincidentally with plentiful automobiles, improved roads, television and the emergence of giveaway government money, plus the availability of a plentiful liquor supply and the doctrine of free love.

Too bad it changed.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 9,481 times
Oh, and if any of you are unsure what an E.M.P. is, it stands for electro-magnetic pulse. it is the pulse wave that is associated with a nuclear burst, and is the number one terrorist threat to the U.S. at this time. Iran, and its allies, are under scrutiny for planning to deliver such a threat, and soon.

What happens is this: A seagoing vessel (in disguise) with a missile on-board, nears our coastal water, and then deploys the missile above the U.S. (i.e. directly above Kansas). The missile reaches an altitude just out of our atmosphere, then it explodes. Due to "The Compton Effect," the supercharged magnetic pulse spreads out line-of-sight at the speed of light. The result, all sensitive electronics and infrastructure is zapped and "fried." The only automobiles that will run are the ones made before 1980, ones with carburetors. There will be no computers, no cell phones, no phones, no communications, and no electricity in our homes. We will essentially be transported back to the 18th century!

If you're wanting to know more about what it would be like, check out "One Second After." It's an intense read!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,065,080 times
Tube radios will work so they'll be communications. Anyway there will be those who stand on their rooftops with a HELP ME sign, and those of us who will be just fine.

Again, good luck to you in your move.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM

19,550 posts, read 35,610,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson65 View Post
.... After further consideration, and I've been discussing this with my wife for the past few days, we've decided to scrap the idea of moving to the four corners area. ...
Glad we were able to help you make a good decision.

Thread closed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado