Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Another way to look at it is that those $500/month a/c bills in TX will be half that here, which can go to the rent, so if you haven't already done so, you could add $250/month to your rent budget for the Denver area. We have a home of almost 4k sq ft and on a yearly basis our average bill for gas/elec/water/sewer is $240/month. Many homes in the Denver area need very little a/c as it is, same here in COLO SPGS, though most new homes have it, our's does, and we don't use that much in summer.
But the trick is you have much, much colder temps in winter and you have to heat the house. A lot of people from places like Texas will have to adjust to temps that can dip to the 30's and 40's at night by late September and can still get cold into May.

A lot of older homes in Denver don't even have AC. If you live in some of the older treed shady neighborhoods like some of my relatives, they either had a window AC or none at all and opened all the windows at night. But some of the more recent build neighborhoods, you are exposed to the sun all day and probably you'll want AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerda View Post
We both love the city, but if you find yourself getting stir crazy in the fourth largest city, then you need to leave.

Also, the heat is unbelievable. I've been here my whole life, and it hasn't gotten any easier. It's miserable. This past summer was insane. For a tiny bungalow, we were averaging almost five hundred a month on our energy bill. It's the kind of heat that leaves people pissed off all day. And it's said to get worse. sorry, but f that

And there is a very limited amount of natural beauty to this city. Nothing here is all that scenic except for a couple of landmarks. No where to hike and who the hell would in 100°+ weather that is also HUMID.

Houston defintely grew up too fast. I guess there is something appealing about a city that's a little more established. And changes seasons occasionally.

We have two bloodhounds. Sweet pups, just big so they have to have a lot of room to stretch out in.
I don't think Denver is anymore established than Houston. Colorado really only boomed in the last few decades. Most of Colorado like around Colorado Springs and Denver is what I would term "new". I remember back in the 80's when I was a kid and there was one area code(303) and the state was less than 3 million people. Now it is over 5 million. A lot of the suburbs around Denver I don't even recognize. One year it was prairie and the next it's a Wal Mart and a neighborhood and I'm like where the hell did that come from?

You'll have to prepare yourself that winter is the dominate weather pattern in Colorado. Colorado statistically is the coldest and highest state in average elevation in the lower 48. The high mountains play a big role in driving weather patterns and temps. It's going to be drier, yes, sunny, some days yes, but it's going to be windy(which drives those wind chills) and you will get snow and snow storms and plenty of cold days. Some days it might feel warm and then when the sun goes away the temp plummets like a rock into the teens and 20's, or worse.

I've had people tell me winter in Colorado is no big deal and then I think of all the times over 30 years where I have been stranded and stuck in Denver thanks to snow storms and it's quite a few times! Or all the times I've been frozen to the bone and been blasted with snow.

Colorado has some really spectacular days and then when the weather doesn't want to behave it can be the nastiest place around.

So no this isn't the Arctic but you need to be ready to deal with winter.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,270 times
You may want to check Craigslist for rentals as well. You can search by places that will allow dogs.

As for AC. My wife and I bought a new construction foreclosure and the AC units were last on the list and weren't installed. We paid around $5k to have 2 central units installed. We used the AC twice - no exaggeration - last summer. Now, we live out in the country and get a great breeze but you can't see a single tree from our house.

Anyhow, check out Craigslist. There are some single family homes listed for rent. Check back here and ask about cities/neighborhoods that you may be interested in.

Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM

88 posts, read 196,043 times
You guys have been awesome, thanks again!

So I've found a home in an area called highland in northwest denver (i have literally been hunting areas in nw denver). Is this an area anyone would recommend?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
Highland is pretty similar to the Heights in Houston but more walkable with more shops and restaurants. Lots of renovated bungalows with some that still need work, and very close to downtown. Where exactly is your rental?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM

88 posts, read 196,043 times
I can't think of the actual addy, but the zip is 80211

Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
Quote:
Great area. Lots of restaurants in the lower Highland area around 32nd & Zuni. Mostly older homes with some new infill sprinkled in. The northern parts closer to I-70 are still a little rough but gentrifying as well as the southern areas closer to the stadium.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Quote:
Generally a great area. About the only part I would avoid of that zip code would be the northeast corner of it, that area near the I-25/I-70 junction.

About the only bad part of about nw Denver / highlands area is that the rents can be very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado