U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM

28 posts, read 54,780 times

Advertisements

Google maps tells me it takes 4 hrs. 11 minutes to drive from Denver to Grand Junction. My destination is Moab, Ut. Should I stop in Grand Junction or drive on to Moab....this will be in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM

19,550 posts, read 35,610,076 times
My driving style would have me go all the way to Moab, but it would take me all day, after stopping for coffee and potty breaks along the way, and some good grub in a scenic spot, perhaps a dip in the hot springs at Glenwood Springs, etc.

If you're driving from the Denver airport, then I'd add an hour to the time it will take.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM

9,810 posts, read 18,079,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obbiemay View Post
Google maps tells me it takes 4 hrs. 11 minutes to drive from Denver to Grand Junction. My destination is Moab, Ut. Should I stop in Grand Junction or drive on to Moab....this will be in June.
Up to you in terms of how much you can drive in one day.

If traffic is light and you keep to the speed limit and don't waste time on stops between Denver and Grand Junction, you can do it in 4 hours.

There is not a whole lot between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction, so factor that in as well. You might want to take a break in Glenwood before continuing on.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM

thank you for your input. Any opionion on which month is best for visiting Colorado and Ut. June or July with most time spent in Co.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,914,522 times
Takes me about 4 hours to Grand Junction

6 hours to Moab

Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM

15,470 posts, read 18,770,333 times
I live near Fruita, 10 miles west of GJ. Snikt has it right here, provided there are no highway construction delays on the way. Fruita (exit 19) off Interstate 70 to Moab? An even 100 miles.

There might be a small delay or two coming into Moab as U.S. 191 has had some passing lanes paved in spots over the last several years. Was just through Moab last Friday in fact!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,530,705 times
Wink To Moab & beyond

June might be better than July. June is only ramping into tourist season, and July the height of it. Tourist services will be available either month, so it depends in part on how much company you wish. Moab will also be hotter, as will Colorado, although in the high country that could work to your advantage. Quite possibly not as much this year, but trails which might experience some snow, or even be closed, should be all the better in July, save of course for more traffic. It would be advisable, either month, to make reservations now for services that are likely to need them.

It is roughly 4 hours from Denver to Grand Junction, and another 2 from there into Moab. The level of traffic on I-70, particularly between Denver and Summit County (think Silverthorne), can be distinctly higher and slower during peak periods. It is a beautiful drive through the mountains, so consider that you may wish to stop and do a little sight-seeing along the way. With due respect to Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs is, subjectively, the last scenic local to spend the night, although Grand Junction has better options in hotels. Even if this seems somewhat counter intuitive, if wishing to split this into a two-day trip, one might not be amiss spending the night closer in, such as in Breckenridge or Vail, and enjoy the high country for the night.

Consider Fruita, just west of Grand Junction, as your last place for services before Moab. This isn't entirely so, as the option of petrol not long before the turnoff on US 191 south to Moab. But compared the regular interval of services along I-70 in Colorado, you will notice a lot more open and empty country in that portion of Utah.

Once in Moab, consider a scenic detour on south into Utah, and winding up through southwest Colorado. Specifically, the portion of US 550 between Durango and Ouray will not soon be forgotten.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

8,318 posts, read 23,933,602 times
The bad thing about June, though, is that it is one of the driest months of the year in west-central and southwestern Colorado, as well as southeastern Utah. That can mean blistering hot temperatures in the desert areas--often over 100 F. in the day during the latter half of June, sometimes even earlier. July and August can also be beastly hot in the desert, but in a normal year, the Southwest Monsoon arrives in around mid-July, such that there is more moisture and some cooler days now and again in the those months. May is one of the prettiest times in places like Moab--just watch out for the no-see-um gnats which can be vicious at that time of year.

As for driving time from Denver to Grand Junction, around 4 hours with no stops and if there is low traffic. Friday night in summer out of Denver or if there is an accident or construction to foul up traffic flow and one can easily add 1 to 2 hours or more to that.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 PM

My trip is now over a month behind me. We stayed the first night in Denver and then drove through to Moab the following day with some stop overs. My first view of the rocky mts was so beautiful! The sun was shining on the snow topped mts I will never forget it. I thought the western side was outstanding I loved Grand Junction with its grey/white chalky cliffs. We went on to Moab via hwy 128, visited Arches and Dead Horse Point. What I saw of Utah was gorgeous! Although the food in Moab was disapointing. We then travelled to Mesa Verde, I couldn't get over how barren it was, but very interesting. Ouray was next on the list via Duranango and Silverton. I have to say it was the most charming place I've ever been. The mountains were so beautiful and the cool temperatures were welcome relief after the blistering heat in Moab. We started working our way back via Colorado Springs this was one week before the Waldo Canyon Fire. We came through the Royal Gorge area Canyon I didn't enjoy that area. All in all it was a wonderful trip and I wish I could go back.....today.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 PM

319 posts, read 585,214 times
A wonderful post for a wonderful trip. Thanks for the update. We'll leave the porch light on for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado