U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
A visit of a few days, with a lot of driving, should go a long way in helping inform you opinion between these two places. Sooner than later, in fact, so yourself the opportunity to reflect upon that seen.
I agree with this. The OP should visit both cities to see what city appeals to them more.

Quote:
There is every chance our economy will be distinctly different in five years, so that. Colorado Springs is obviously the larger market, but aside from the practical aspects of where one might find employment, then also just wanting to live.

Colorado Springs is the more usual choice, as larger for those liking that type of thing, and with more services. Although Pueblo big enough to have anything you'll want on a daily basis. Culturally, Colorado Springs will probably feel more similar to other front range towns to the north, whereas Pueblo a more separate regional flavor, more akin to Trinidad.
Pueblo and Colorado Springs are two different cities with different cultures. Pueblo has more of a "southwest that meets the Midwest flair" and Colorado Springs is more of a mountain town as they sit right at the foot of Pikes Peak. However Pueblo is noting like Trinidad as Pueblo is large enough to have all the cultural amenities you would expect to find in a city including a symphony, art galleries, performing arts center, large street fairs and the Colorado State Fair, great restaurants including some of the best Mexican and Italian food in the region, and a growing urban center with a Riverwalk and convention center that in my biased opinion rivals that of the urban center of Colorado Springs despite the fact they are a larger city.

Quote:
One of the biggest differences between the two is geography. If both relatively flat, Colorado Springs lies right at the base of the front range mountains, with good views of them to the west. The massive of Cheyenne Mountains is a distinct landmark. From that point, however, the mountains decide to swing way back to the west towards Cańon City. Which leaves Pueblo, due south of Colorado Springs, high and dry mountain-wise. There is still a view of them to the west, but realtors wishing to highlight this feature will probably forget to tell you that it works best with binoculars.
Downtown Pueblo sits about as far as Downtown Denver from the Mountains however due to the Palmor divide Pueblo gets a lot less snow. The views of the mountains are great in Pueblo as I can see Pikes Peak, the Spanish Peaks, etc. and I live in the city. If the OP would prefer the suburb of Pueblo West the views are even better and if the OP would prefer the suburbs of Beulah and Colorado City they would live in the foothills with only a short drive to work and many people do it ever day.

Quote:
Lamar might as well not be in the same state with Aspen. The difference between Pueblo and Colorado Springs might not be as dramatic, but great enough for two places as close in distance. See which one you like, and be ready to consider somewhere else in Colorado or the greater West as well.
I agree with this as Pueblo and Colorado Springs are two vastly different cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 19 days ago)

10,291 posts, read 10,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

However Pueblo is noting like Trinidad...
I disagree. Pueblo is basically Trinidadx10.

The overall prevailing attitude is what I consider the most similar about the two towns. I spent my high school years in Trinidad, graduating in 1999. The town had a very small-minded provincial attitude to it that I noticed existed in Pueblo as well. Pueblo was like being in a bigger version of Trinidad, Colorado Springs was a different world completely. Of course, this is anecdotal and others may have had different experiences with the two towns. Also, I think that both Trinidad and Pueblo have made major strides since 1999 when I left the region for military service in the Marines.

Pueblo is a significantly larger town, so you will find more options in terms of stores like Home Depot, and Kohls. As far as dining goes, Trinidad is surprisingly impressive for a small town and pound for pound can probably equal Pueblo.

If Trinidad ever fully exploited its location as well as its charming old infrastructure it would be a really cool little town. I would say more, but this is not a thread about Trinidad. Maybe I'll find a Trinidad thread and share my thoughts on that one. I know you all are dying to hear them!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I disagree. Pueblo is basically Trinidadx10.

The overall prevailing attitude is what I consider the most similar about the two towns. I spent my high school years in Trinidad, graduating in 1999. The town had a very small-minded provincial attitude to it that I noticed existed in Pueblo as well. Pueblo was like being in a bigger version of Trinidad, Colorado Springs was a different world completely. Of course, this is anecdotal and others may have had different experiences with the two towns.
I would have to respectively disagree with this. Pueblo is surprisingly tolerant for a city of its size and to be honest I am really not sure why. Its not liberal city like Boulder but as the locals say with pride this is a "live and let live town". The only thing I can come up with for this attitude in Pueblo is how the city started with the steel mill and they recruited people to move here from all over.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM

I'm not speaking about tolerance. I'm talking about an overall feel. To me, Pueblo feels more like a big version of Trinidad than a small version of Colorado Springs. Or perhaps a better way of saying it is that Trinidad could be a small sub-section of Pueblo. If you could pick up Trinidad and plop it down so that it fused with Pueblo, I tell you it would fit right in!

Pueblo and Trinidad have some similarities that are often overlooked. They are both blue collar towns. Pueblo is an old steel town, Trinidad is an old mining town. They also have robust agricultural/ranching economies in the surrounding areas and serve as hubs for these farming and ranching communities. I know that both towns have people who will vote democrat faithfully, yet if you went line by line with them on the issues, they are very conservative people. And both have their own brand of arts-based culture.

I think that the size difference between the two towns causes some to overlook the similarities. I would argue that they are more similar than not.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM

265 posts, read 763,547 times
While I am not a native of Colorado, I have visited all three locations. Numbers do help to get a general idea of the differences. Colorado Springs has a population of about 400,000 of which about 15% is hispanic. In the case of Pueblo , the population is around 100,000 while Trinidad is only about 9,000. Note that both are about 50% hispanic.

One obvious conclusion is that the hispanic culture is more dominant in Pueblo and Trinidad as compared to Colorado Springs. Just saying. This gives one some idea of the difference in amenities with respect to size and the cultural differences also are apparent.

I do not intend any disrespect but just the view of someone from the outside. I liked all three places during my visits. i would also include Canon City as a place i visited and liked . In the same vein, it is more like a smaller version of Colorado Springs with respect to culture.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
While I am not a native of Colorado, I have visited all three locations. Numbers do help to get a general idea of the differences. Colorado Springs has a population of about 400,000 of which about 15% is hispanic. In the case of Pueblo , the population is around 100,000 while Trinidad is only about 9,000. Note that both are about 50% hispanic.

One obvious conclusion is that the hispanic culture is more dominant in Pueblo and Trinidad as compared to Colorado Springs. Just saying. This gives one some idea of the difference in amenities with respect to size and the cultural differences also are apparent.

I do not intend any disrespect but just the view of someone from the outside. I liked all three places during my visits. i would also include Canon City as a place i visited and liked . In the same vein, it is more like a smaller version of Colorado Springs with respect to culture.
These are valid points, actually. I should have thought about it myself, actually. There is nothing disrespectful about bringing in the demographics. It's a fact, after all. And demographics are closely connected to culture, which goes a long way to explain similarities between Pueblo and Trinidad.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM

^

I still don't see the Pueblo Trinidad connection. There are just to many difference between them as Pueblo has a large urban center, university, community college, shopping areas including a mall, home to 2 television stations one of which is a NBC affiliate and part of the front range urban corridor. Plus for what the OP is looking for, a regional medical center, I don't think Trinidad would work at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM

I was not suggesting that the OP consider Trinidad, just that the prevailing mindset and feel of that community is very similar to Pueblo and vise-versa. Colorado Springs has more of a "city" feel, while Pueblo has more of a "town" feel. Like I said, a big version of Trinidad.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

I would still disagree. While Pueblo is smaller then Colorado Springs it is big enough to have city amenities giving it a city feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or