Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,903 times

Advertisements

I have been looking forward to hopefully, 5 years or less, moving to Colorado. I will be an RN by then and really was looking on opinions of which place is better. I will be starting a family while in Colorado so I want to find affordable homes, not a high crime rate, schools, neighborhoods, fun things to do as a couple and as a family as well. Let me know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 AM

17,882 posts, read 27,278,691 times
Well having a family can be kind of fun I hear.

Most people are partial to Colorado Springs and like to throw rocks at Pueblo so...

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,926,917 times
My best advice is to keep an open mind. Five years is a long time and your preferences and priorities may change in the interim, especially if you have a family by then. You may find that in five years, neither city appeals to you!

With that said, Colorado Springs and Pueblo are both great places. I prefer Colorado Springs over Pueblo for several reasons, including geographic setting, amenities, a wider range of quality neighborhoods, parks/open spaces, proximity to Denver, and a number of other things. But that does not mean that Pueblo is without its good points, too.

Pueblo is a large town while Colorado Springs is a small city, if that makes any sense.

Also, there have been a few threads on this topic, so perhaps a search for those would be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,902,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
My best advice is to keep an open mind. Five years is a long time and your preferences and priorities may change in the interim, especially if you have a family by then. You may find that in five years, neither city appeals to you!

With that said, Colorado Springs and Pueblo are both great places. I prefer Colorado Springs over Pueblo for several reasons, including geographic setting, amenities, a wider range of quality neighborhoods, parks/open spaces, proximity to Denver, and a number of other things. But that does not mean that Pueblo is without its good points, too.

Pueblo is a large town while Colorado Springs is a small city, if that makes any sense.

Also, there have been a few threads on this topic, so perhaps a search for those would be helpful to you.

Good luck!
Great reply, but I think you mistakingly switched Pueblo and COS.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,926,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Great reply, but I think you mistakingly switched Pueblo and COS.
Thanks for the kind words! Actually, I did not mix them up. Since "towns" are generally smaller than "cities," I was just trying to communicate that the biggest difference between Pueblo and Colorado Springs was the difference between on being a town (albeit a large town) and the other being a city (albeit a small city.)

Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,902,418 times
Now I get it. I missed the town-city reference. That does make sense.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:39 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,585,899 times
Pueblo is generally a lot hotter than COS. In the summer temperatures near 100 are abundant while COS seems to stay much cooler. However, in the winter that works in your favor.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 PM

26,119 posts, read 48,726,501 times
IIRC, Pueblo has one major hospital, COLO SPGS has four. Denver has tons of hospitals, with a brand new V-A hospital due to come on line in 2015 on the old location of Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in eastern Aurora.

Colo Spgs has a bit cooler climate and is right at the base of Pikes Peak and the Rampart Range, very scenic.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,363,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC, Pueblo has one major hospital, COLO SPGS has four. Denver has tons of hospitals, with a brand new V-A hospital due to come on line in 2015 on the old location of Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in eastern Aurora.

Colo Spgs has a bit cooler climate and is right at the base of Pikes Peak and the Rampart Range, very scenic.
FYI Pueblo has 2 major hospitals. Parkview Regional Medical Center which has a level 2 trauma center and Saint Mary Corwin Regional Medical Center with its top rated cancer center and stroke center. On top of that Pueblo is home to the Colorado Mental Health institute with a brand new forensic unit and a veteran clinic that is very busy and they are going to move into a new building by next year.

I would say both cities are very scenic in their own way and the op should visit to see what they prefer. Also, if the op has any questions about Pueblo feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-19-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,960,788 times
Wink More than 44 miles apart

A visit of a few days, with a lot of driving, should go a long way in helping inform you opinion between these two places. Sooner than later, in fact, so yourself the opportunity to reflect upon that seen.

There is every chance our economy will be distinctly different in five years, so that. Colorado Springs is obviously the larger market, but aside from the practical aspects of where one might find employment, then also just wanting to live.

Colorado Springs is the more usual choice, as larger for those liking that type of thing, and with more services. Although Pueblo big enough to have anything you'll want on a daily basis. Culturally, Colorado Springs will probably feel more similar to other front range towns to the north, whereas Pueblo a more separate regional flavor, more akin to Trinidad.

One of the biggest differences between the two is geography. If both relatively flat, Colorado Springs lies right at the base of the front range mountains, with good views of them to the west. The massive of Cheyenne Mountains is a distinct landmark. From that point, however, the mountains decide to swing way back to the west towards Cañon City. Which leaves Pueblo, due south of Colorado Springs, high and dry mountain-wise. There is still a view of them to the west, but realtors wishing to highlight this feature will probably forget to tell you that it works best with binoculars.

Lamar might as well not be in the same state with Aspen. The difference between Pueblo and Colorado Springs might not be as dramatic, but great enough for two places as close in distance. See which one you like, and be ready to consider somewhere else in Colorado or the greater West as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado