U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,083 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking advice from CO natives on a good place to raise a family in your state. I'm from California (please don't shoot!!). I'm a single mom of 2 young boys and want to raise them in more of a country setting around people with better morals and better attitudes. I have lived in Cali all my life and have rarely every traveled, but w/my personality and the things I like to do I know I was supposed to be born somewhere in the mid west or something!

So, here's what I'm looking for: Good schools, affordable (houses for rent under $1300) some land of my own or at least a decent sized backyard, I'd still like to be able to drive to Denver if I had an itchin to go dancing or some good shopping and preferably not in an all married town (remember im single). I'd like a smaller town feel-nice people etc.
I'm a nanny, so the job economy doesn't really effect me too much, so no worries there.

We like to 4 wheel, fish, snowboard, etc so I think CO might be nice for us but would like some native feedback on which town might suit us best. Thanks for all the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM

8,318 posts, read 23,924,935 times
As I've answered similar posts before, you are asking for a number of things that are mutually exclusive in Colorado. "Affordable," "not all married," "better morals," "smaller town," "close to Denver" and close to the mountains rules out just about everything. You'll have to compromise on something if you expect to live here.

You can get "affordable" in a small town out on the Eastern Plains of Colorado, but most of those small towns have few singles. You can also get "better morals" there, but the closer you get to the metro areas, the more the places take on the sociology and character of suburbia and big cities--just like California or anywhere else in the country with big metro areas.

The mountain resort areas are "out" for you. Affordability would be a huge issue and most all mountain resort communities are not sociologically healthy places, especially for kids.

You really won't find many places in Colorado that have a "Midwest" culture except in the small farm and ranch communities out on the Eastern Plains. If you want that, I would suggest that you look in small to mid-size communities in Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas. They are within a day's driving distance of the Rocky Mountain region's scenic areas and have generally better community values, better school systems, more affordable housing, lower living costs, and are more "children-friendly" communities than Colorado has. Some of those communities out on the plains are the "hidden gems" left in this country if a person is looking for a community with the small-town feel that existed in many places years ago, but has disappeared from many places in Colorado. You won't see any mountains out your window, but that's the tradeoff.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

11,773 posts, read 22,524,713 times
I don't think OP mentioned mountains- an oversight? Also, what is the market for nanny work in smaller towns?
I agree with jazz that for a Midwestern feel, it's likely best to go to the Midwest.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM

19,543 posts, read 35,593,043 times
Might be something in the Denver area for a nanny, there are a bunch of listings in Craigslist.

It won't be a country town, but will have access to the mountains.

Your rental budget may be low for Denver, but you won't know until you check padmapper.com or zillow.com for rentals, and if it's on Craigslist, read and heed the warnings about scammers.

There's also a bunch of listings in the Boulder section of CL, and the nearby towns of Lexington, Longmont, Superior, Gunbarrel, etc might have a rental near your price.

As suggested earlier, cities in the midwest are also worth checking.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado