U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,913 times

Advertisements

So me and my good friend who are both 22 are planning to move to Colorado by August of this year. I am graduating college in May in New Orleans, LA and waiting for his apartment lease in Dallas, TX to end in July so we can move. Basically we love snowboarding and have been on two trips to Colorado, once to Wolf Creek and once to Steamboat. We don't really know where we went to move because we have not visited much else of the state. We do like more of a bigger town/city feel. We will most likely just be trying to rent an apartment or small house. He plans on trying to get a bartending job while I would like to get a job working for a ski resort or as a snowboard instructor if I can get certified or else I wouldn't mind using my International Business degree which I will be getting in May. So we would preffer a town that is really close to a ski resort or a town that is close to a few resorts. We just want an overall nice place that isn't sky high expensive. We both have cars but I was thinking of selling mine. I also wanted to get a Siberian Husky pup so I was wondering how easy or hard it is to find one. Any information that you can give will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
John, use our search tool with keywords like: Ski bum, ski town, etc. There are plenty of threads here to discuss that life, those towns, and what it's like to do that sort of thing.

Most jobs are in Denver metro area. Best bet is to live in/near downtown and go boarding when you can get away, and weekends are when the bulk of people go, which loads up I-70 so bad that you'll come to hate it. If you can find work that provides for being off on some weekdays it makes getting up to the high country a lot easier and less crowded.

There are few places up there that affordable for most people, our ski bum threads explain it all quite well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,913 times
I was hoping for some suggestions to different cities, not different threads..

Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM

4,623 posts, read 9,109,755 times
John, your questions have been asked many times before and answered many times before. Not trying to sound rude, but please do take the time to avail yourself of all the wisdom that's already here.

Most of the ski resorts are in areas that don't have the "big city feel". You'd have to live in Denver for that, and then you couldn't work at a resort. The closest to that "feel" would be Aspen, but then you either have to be independently wealthy or you'd have to live pretty far away and commute every day. I believe there's a thread on this, see Aspen, or Glenwood Springs or Carbondale.

If you can drop the "big city feel", then maybe look at the threads on Summit County and Silverthorne, because then you'd be able to work at Keystone, Breckenridge, or Copper Mountain.

It's going to be hard to find a "nice" place that isn't sky high expensive. Adding a dog into the mix will make it really hard to find a nice place.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
As of the 2010 census, the population of Grand Junction (http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/outdoors/ - broken link) was 58566. The Powderhorn Mountain Resort is about a 45 minute drive from downtown Grand Junction with very little trafiic to contend with. On the downside, finding any kind of employment in the Grand Junction area is likely to be VERY challanging in the current economy, and rent costs are on the high side. Good Luck with your relocation dreams!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,184,784 times
Plenty of ski resort towns in Colorado. Two of the biggest resort "hubs" are Dillon/Silverthorne/Frisco in Summit County which is the jumping off point to 4 different resorts and the Vail Valley (Vail/Avon/Edwards/Eagle) in Eagle County which has Vail and Beaver Creek. However, your international business degree will likely be nothing more than toilet paper in a ski town.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,493 times
sounds awesome!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:38 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEdmundIII View Post
So me and my good friend who are both 22 are planning to move to Colorado by August of this year. I am graduating college in May in New Orleans, LA and waiting for his apartment lease in Dallas, TX to end in July so we can move. Basically we love snowboarding and have been on two trips to Colorado, once to Wolf Creek and once to Steamboat. We don't really know where we went to move because we have not visited much else of the state. We do like more of a bigger town/city feel. We will most likely just be trying to rent an apartment or small house. He plans on trying to get a bartending job while I would like to get a job working for a ski resort or as a snowboard instructor if I can get certified or else I wouldn't mind using my International Business degree which I will be getting in May. So we would preffer a town that is really close to a ski resort or a town that is close to a few resorts. We just want an overall nice place that isn't sky high expensive. We both have cars but I was thinking of selling mine. I also wanted to get a Siberian Husky pup so I was wondering how easy or hard it is to find one. Any information that you can give will be much appreciated. Thanks.
There are tons of threads and posts that have answered almost the exact same questions.

I did 8 ski seasons in Colorado and I've posted many times. It's up to you, but if you do a search you will find a wealth of info.

Cheap---Ski Town are 2 things that do not go together.

Also all the ski towns are nowhere near cities in Colorado, so you are either living down in the Denver/Co Springs area or up somewhere in the Rockies in and near the ski town you choose.

Because of the tourist traffic some of the ski areas like in Summit County will have more retail and restaurants than similar sized towns, but they are still small towns when it comes to it. Many of these towns are around 3000 people with maybe a few other towns around with similar populations. There are no real cities or small cities/towns in the Rockies.

Most condos and apartments in ski town areas have restrictions on pets. There are places with pets allowed but they will be likely out of your price range. I would not complicate your life with a pet. At the beginning, you will definitely be sharing a place, maybe with others outside of your friend. On average a bedroom in a shared apartment will run you about $500-$750 a month.

Your business degree will not be a huge help in a ski town. There are Ph.D's and Master degree people running around waiting tables and working for $12 an hour. There are few professional opportunities and mostly those go to "locals". There is plenty of opportunity though for seasonal tourist jobs such as bartending or working at a hotel.

Snowboard instructor? What is your experience/skills and credentials to teach? I was not an instructor, but I knew probably over a 100 of them over the years. It's a competitive business, tough to get in and if you do get in, most beginning instructors have 2nd jobs as seniority counts when getting the good jobs and hours. If you've only racked up a few ski trips you'll never cut it as you will be going up against semi pro or pro people or those that have been skiing since they were toddlers every winter.

It pretty much comes down to 2 choices. Living in Denver/Co Springs, getting a "real job" using your degree and enjoying city life with an occasional trip up to the mountains or moving to a ski town, working seasonally, living in a shared accommodation and enjoying the ski town lifestyle.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink Ski dreams in practice

There is good, accurate advice here and, as mentioned, more easily found on this site with a little research.

Consider it a window of opportunity. You are both young, but with every chance soon with budding careers and other interests and obligations. Some people make a career in the ski industry, or become some of the relatively few who have solid professional jobs in the mountains, but most do not. At this age it is entirely possible to throw a certain caution to the wind and live your dreams for a season or two before reality catches up with you. The chance will probably not come again, even if in years to come you still manage ski weekends or vacations now and then.

Do not expect it to be easy, although probably an experience and memory forever fondly remembered. That spoken of in the high cost in housing and other necessary compromises is but the reality. Without the outside money to make it so, do not expect your living situation to be all that posh. You'll surely have an easier time of it and more comfortable circumstances in Denver, but that is always there. Another price paid will be in putting the inception of your careers on hold for the year or whatever you are goofing off, as unlikely in that regard to have this anything but a fun and notable experience. If prepared to accept that, and on the terms of that basically demanded there, then it can be entirely worth it.

Since interested in skiing, insure that any employment comes with a season pass. If working directly for one of the ski areas, in one of any number of positions, then that is probably a given; but other employers in the area can offer much the same thing.

Living there is different than a vacation. You may get to be out at the crack of dawn scraping recalcitrant ice off your windshield, or waiting around in the freezing sub-zero cold for a bus. But particularly if a position on the mountain itself, and not even necessarily as an instructor, then there will surely also be sublime moments when most of the tourists have left to fight their way together down I-70, but you and a select few others find yourself in the very picture of an alpine idyll that others may never know.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEdmundIII View Post
I was hoping for some suggestions to different cities, not different threads..
Ah, yes, another dreamer that, from the comment above, is not even willing to invest the time to research on this forum. With that attitude, he will never make it in Colorado. Colorado, because of the nature of its economy, is a state that requires motivation, dedication, tenacity, resourcefulness, initiative, and hard work to live in successfully over the long term. People lacking those qualities won't do well here, if they last at all. Unless, of course, one is a worthless "trust-funder", living off of Mom and Dad's wealth or inheritance. A century ago, those bums were referred to as "remittance men" because they got a cash "remittance" periodically from their rich relatives back East or in Europe--mostly a bribe to keep them from returning home. They got little respect in the West then, and I don't think their modern counterparts merit much respect today.

What I see constantly on this forum is people who dream about living in Colorado, but simply lack what it takes to make the dream come true. Colorado is a beautiful state (at least some of it still is), but the days of it being an easy place to make a living are pretty much coming to an end--probably for good. There is a book about the early days of Colorado, the title of which pretty much sums up what it takes to live here: "Men to Match My Mountains." The title would now be considered sexist, so "Men and Women to Match My Mountains" would be appropriate today, but the idea that people must be of loftier motivation and resiliency to live here is still valid.

Last edited by jazzlover; 02-29-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or