U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,849 times

Advertisements

I agree with Brightdoglover. CO may not be the best for you. You might look into San Diego. Great weather and more job opportunities for young professionals. Instead of snowmachining you can surf or jetski year round. Winter sports are a couple of hours away in the San Bernadino Mountains. Colorado is a great place to live, but like others said, it's not known for it's lakes and beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,903,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I agree with Brightdoglover. CO may not be the best for you. You might look into San Diego. Great weather and more job opportunities for young professionals. Instead of snowmachining you can surf or jetski year round. Winter sports are a couple of hours away in the San Bernadino Mountains.
yeah try snowmobiling in the San Bernadino mountains

Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
yeah try snowmobiling in the San Bernadino mountains
Probably not the best, but still available>>

Bear Valley Snowmobile - Snowmobile Rentals and Sales - Ski Doo Dealer Bear Valley California

Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 AM

7 posts, read 12,297 times
@brightdoglover...I think your very misunderstood regarding my post. I never said ANYTHING about wanting a "humid" summer. Heck, if anything, we want to do away with the humidity! I just said for a warm summer. We even get warm summers back in Alaska, the season just doesn't last very long. I'm also not quite sure of these "rosey glasses" you speak of, because my wife actually has done some research and was very interested in Colorado, so there is no "me talking her into anything". I just simply wanted to know what the area was like. Also, as far as "east coasters" not realizing how far away things are from one another, keep in mind, I'm from the great state of Alaska which also happens to be the largest state (by far) and everything is very widely spread out.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrustin933 View Post
@brightdoglover...I think your very misunderstood regarding my post. I never said ANYTHING about wanting a "humid" summer. Heck, if anything, we want to do away with the humidity! I just said for a warm summer. We even get warm summers back in Alaska, the season just doesn't last very long. I'm also not quite sure of these "rosey glasses" you speak of, because my wife actually has done some research and was very interested in Colorado, so there is no "me talking her into anything". I just simply wanted to know what the area was like. Also, as far as "east coasters" not realizing how far away things are from one another, keep in mind, I'm from the great state of Alaska which also happens to be the largest state (by far) and everything is very widely spread out.
Climatically, Colorado is nothing like Alaska OR the East Coast. Colorado is an arid to semi-arid state with the exception of the high mountains, and even they generally get less annual precipitation than does most anyplace east of the 100th Meridian. Because of Colorado's aridity and high elevation, diurnal temperatures (day to night) are quite dramatic. Even in hot weather, nighttime temperatures can drop pretty low. I personally have observed numerous occasions (usually in September) in lower western Colorado valleys when the daytime temperature has topped 90 in the afternoon and frozen that night. The semi-arid area of the Front Range metro areas are not quite as dramatic in diurnal temperature variation, but the Front Range is also subject to frequent high winds, violent hailstorms, and occasional severe winter snowstorms and blizzards. Colorado, because of its inland location away from moisture sources, also has unreliable precipitation from year-to-year. Drought is a frequent occurrence--seldom does a year pass that somewhere in the state is not suffering from drier than average conditions.

Between Alaska and the East Coast, you are both from places that are relatively moist and green during the warm season. Colorado has large areas of the state that can "brown-up" even in summer, and most of Colorado's lower elevations are brown with only infrequent snowcover for the 5-7 months of the year in fall, winter, and spring. If you and your wife are not OK with that, then Colorado is not for you.

And, as I have posted numerous times before, I've been researching, studying, and observing Colorado weather and climate since I was a young kid--over 50 years now.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,478,691 times
To the OP, it did sound like you were trying hard to find the "lakes/beaches" aspect for your wife because you knew there are areas for your snowy interests. You said she wanted "hot summers" and that's not the case, as Jazz so clearly points out.
Sorry if I misunderstood. Your points are taken.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,021,080 times
Below 6000 feet it can get warm/hot in summer time no doubt, once you climb above that it is actually one of the coldest places in the middle of summer anywhere in the country. But it's not a place for swimming or many water activities. And yes the dominate color in Colorado is brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or