U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,758 times

Advertisements

Hello! First time using this, but it seems to have helped many before so I'm hoping it can do something for me

My specifics:

I am a female in my mid 20s. I have lived in NY with my family my entire life. I've been dying to move to CO forever, though I've never actually been there to visit. Don't ask, just feels right. I will be graduating with my Master's Degree in May, and hope to move (alone) shortly thereafter. I have been applying for jobs all over Denver, Aurora, Colorado Springs, etc., mainly in my area of study... but I am not at all hell-bent on getting the job I want right away. That being said, it's still pretty possible that I will NOT have a job set up by the time May rolls around. I don't care, I still want to move.

I'm hoping to have saved near $10,000 by then (but who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll end up at about $7-8,000 max). So, yes, budget is definitely an issue. I should be able to swing somewhere around the $700-900/month range, anticipating that I will start making some sort of money at least within the first month I move there. Plus I'll be starting to pay back student loans, and learning how to really support myself for the first time. I'm more than cool with a tiny studio or 1 bedroom apt; I'm small so I don't take up much space. And that would be my pitiful budget situation.

In terms of what I want, safety is a big thing. Being young and of the female persuasion, I'd like to feel somewhat safe walking into my home after a night out, or just walking down the street in the dark. Speaking of which, I would hope to have some great fun things within walking distance: restaurants, bars, parks, all that nice Colorado stuff. You know, outdoorsy by day, fun and busy by night. I have a car so commuting to a job would be no problem, but I'd love to have fun options that I can reach on foot or by bike.

Last thing I should mention is that I will have NO friends! So maybe a friendly, young professional area would suit me well.

So that's me! I'm very excited. Realistic? Probably not. But maybe someone here can use their extensive knowledge to steer me in some sort of direction. I'm not attached to any area, really, as again I have zero ties to the state in terms of family or friends. Walkscore.com has helped a bunch to understand where the lively areas are, but I'd like to hear from someone who perhaps has been in a similar situation. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 PM

19,553 posts, read 35,622,323 times
Denver. Lots of fine neighborhoods near downtown, which is called LODO.

Go to the Denver forum and search on keywords: young professional

You'll get plenty of threads on the topic and a list of neighborhoods in many of those threads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM

From what I've seen I'd LOVE the Lodo, Capitol Hill area. But kind of feel like it's too pricey/don't know the safety of the areas...

Just wanted some situation-specific responses. I've been reading a lot of threads and they're all great, figured I'd try my hand at one so that I could find exactly what would work for me.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

4,053 posts, read 6,486,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts021 View Post
From what I've seen I'd LOVE the Lodo, Capitol Hill area. But kind of feel like it's too pricey/don't know the safety of the areas...

Just wanted some situation-specific responses. I've been reading a lot of threads and they're all great, figured I'd try my hand at one so that I could find exactly what would work for me.
I won't be much help since it has been many years since I spent much time in Denver and I am retired and not in a position to do any hiring now. However where you live will have a lot to do with the type of work you want to pursue. What field of study did you study for your Masters?

If you lived in an urban environment while in New York you know the rules to surviving safely in a large city. The only difference will be the geography. Having a car will be a big plus in recreational activities.For work you may be able to use Public Transportation (location, location). If you are a member of a Church group you will make friends quickly. Any hobbies that you have will be a big advantage in making friends also. I spent a year in Denver way back in the late sixties and it was one of the best years of my life. It is a great city to be living in when in your twenties.

GL2

Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 PM

8,989 posts, read 10,077,163 times
Oh to be young again. Good luck to you!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Good stuff, thank you. My degree will be in educational counseling, but I'm being realistic and figuring on taking any sort of fulltime job temporarily, and doing more of a job search once I'm settled. As far as urban living experience goes, I grew up on Long Island. I only know suburbia, but for some reason I am drawn to more of an urban area at this point in my life.

Any advice in comparing areas like Boulder, Colorado Springs, etc. to Denver? Denver seems to be where it's at for me, but just as a reference it would be nice to know if these areas offer similar environments.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM

5,091 posts, read 12,561,082 times
Quote:
Good stuff, thank you. My degree will be in educational counseling, but I'm being realistic and figuring on taking any sort of fulltime job temporarily, and doing more of a job search once I'm settled. As far as urban living experience goes, I grew up on Long Island. I only know suburbia, but for some reason I am drawn to more of an urban area at this point in my life.

Any advice in comparing areas like Boulder, Colorado Springs, etc. to Denver? Denver seems to be where it's at for me, but just as a reference it would be nice to know if these areas offer similar environments.
Boulder is Boulder; Colorado Springs is Colorado Springs; Denver is Denver. Each have unique characteristics; all have similar characteristics. Putting all the unique and similar together or side by side, each would still have a different environment.

What exactly that you perceive and define that Boulder and Colorado Springs have, that you want to have as a similar environment in Denver?

If what you perceive Boulder or The Springs as what you want, then why do you want to have a facsimile and live in Denver? Why do not then live in Boulder or The Springs? Why Denver?

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-01-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 PM

Well. All of the above are places I've been told draw a crowd similar to my demographic. Just weighing the options; perhaps one offers what I'm looking for, but can be significantly less expensive than the Lodo area of Denver. Or maybe there is some magical town I have yet to be told about. I've researched quite a bit but have never seen any of these places, so basically I know nothing of what I'm talking about. :-\

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 PM

5,091 posts, read 12,561,082 times
Quote:
Well. All of the above are places I've been told draw a crowd similar to my demographic. Just weighing the options; perhaps one offers what I'm looking for, but can be significantly less expensive than the Lodo area of Denver. Or maybe there is some magical town I have yet to be told about. I've researched quite a bit but have never seen any of these places, so basically I know nothing of what I'm talking about. :-\
Well, at least you are very honest about what you know. You really need to come visit to make decision about a move. There is much marketing and hype about any area that does not necessarily reflect the reality. In addition, much depends on your own needs, wants and desire which are subject to your own subjective personal perspectives on what you see.

Some would also say, in this economy, get a job first before you move. However, sometimes that is not possible and many times it is not necessary for younger people who are single, have few responsibilities and can be more flexible and live on less for a time.

I am in my sixties and I am an ex New Yorker. I moved here about 34 years ago. I moved without a job from Texas. I went to Texas, after the Army, College, other areas that I worked including in Manhattan. Is this area better than New York, not necessarily so--it is different. I have said often on this forum that the difference of the typography and weather is much and there are less trees and water than the East. There is also a significant wonderful Hispanic Culture that is part of the history of Colorado. Colorado has many different aspects that mingle together; It is of the Southwest; it is of the Mountains; It is of the West and it it of the Great Plains. To be happy here you must accept, embrace and see the value in these differences. For if you do not, Colorado will not accept you.

You have many options. You can try all the areas in Colorado and if you do not like any, you can go someplace else. You have youth with time to search and time to change, but most of all you are at the beginning of wonders that you will see--so take the journey with joyful pleasure.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-01-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 4,301 times
Did you do it? I am thinking of doing the same thing this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado