Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM

23 posts, read 64,066 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

We are currently Denverites, wanting to relocate to a smaller (not tiny!) town in Colorado that has a strong Leftist, Democratic, Liberal, Peacenik, Hippie .... get the picture?... element. Are there any? What's the vibe in Durango? Salida? I love Manitou but it is too attached to C.Springs for my taste. Two young kids in tow, good (public/charter) schools are a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
are you done with the Front Rage? Boulder is the logical 'fit' for what you're after. Not sure about SW CO or Western Slope...seems to be a fairly 'free spirited' feel among the local working stiffs in T-Ride, the 'Butte, Durango...but to a lesser degree if you're after real political activism and a larger population with similar views & interests.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libmom View Post
Hey there,

We are currently Denverites, wanting to relocate to a smaller (not tiny!) town in Colorado that has a strong Leftist, Democratic, Liberal, Peacenik, Hippie .... get the picture?... element. Are there any? What's the vibe in Durango? Salida? I love Manitou but it is too attached to C.Springs for my taste. Two young kids in tow, good (public/charter) schools are a plus.
Sounds like you're pretty set on the SW corner of the state, otherwise I'd suggest somewhere like Lyons or Boulder. Schools in the BVSD are apparently very good too.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM

166 posts, read 420,190 times
Colorado Election Results

2006 colorado election results, particularly the traditional marriage and marijuana legalization statewide amendment initiatives, and the domestic partnerships referendum, pretty well highlight the counties that make up colorado's "liberal" belt.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Hey there,

I thought you were looking in California, like you wrote in this post:

Relocating: Small, leftist affordable town?

Or was it Washington, like in this post?

Relocating: smallish, liberal, affordable?

Do you work?
What is your budget for rent or housing price range?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 AM

23 posts, read 64,066 times
Libtrak, thanks for the link -- that is really helpful!! (and eye opening!)

And Charles, we are looking in all of the three states (my pref is WA, the wife wants more sun and warmth), thus the three posts. Sorry to confuse!

Boulder and Aspen fail my "affordable" litmus test which is why I am seeking other areas.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM

59 posts, read 276,901 times
Lots of people use city-data forums to rule out/rule in 2 or 3 likely areas. These forums are a good way to do that. I wonder why someone would bring that up in sort of an accusing way? Very odd. I am looking at one area right now but sure don't want someone trailing along behind me if I want to examine another area as well!!! Many people are sort of desparately seeking a good area for their kids. They may be unrealistic, yes, and if I saw maybe 20 posts in 20 cities, I might think the person was too scattered to be considering anything! But 2 or 3? Seems reasonable.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Libtrak, thanks for the link -- that is really helpful!! (and eye opening!)

And Charles, we are looking in all of the three states (my pref is WA, the wife wants more sun and warmth), thus the three posts. Sorry to confuse!

Boulder and Aspen fail my "affordable" litmus test which is why I am seeking other areas.
Have you actually checked housing prices in Boulder? I think there is a link in Mike's index. I know several of us posted prices for the Boulder area just a little while back. It may be more affordable than you think.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Boulder and 'affordable' is a matter of one's financial means. Boulder County, on the other hand, should offer something...but cities like Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette...they are far from 'Leftist', therefore not real good options.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM

182 posts, read 668,411 times
If you like the mountains, you might want to take a look at Nederland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado