Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM

68 posts, read 171,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am a rabid fan of the San Juans, but I'll offer a professional's opinion.
I used to go every July 4th week to a guest ranch in Ridgway. The same people tended to come every year at the same time, and it was a neat reunion kind of thing. One guy was a world-traveled geologist. He said, "I've been in every mountain range in the world, and this area is the second-most beautiful. I asked him if first was the Tetons, where I haven't been, and he said, no, they're beautiful but tiny compared to this.He said Nepal was the best.
So I tried it out, went trekking in the Khumbu region. I will say that Ama Dablam was by far my favorite sight, but I had to fly around the world for a couple of days, start my trek at 9,000 feet and get up to 18,000 (Gokyo), forget most of the trip because of altitude, and get bacterial pneumonia on my way out.
I will say the men are just as attractive as Colorado in a Nepalese way, the food is good in both places, and Colorado is a whole lot easier to get to. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't go to the trouble or expense to go back to Nepal, but I've been back to Colorado (the San Juans) many times.
Confirmed! It is probably as close to the Alps or the Himalayas as you can get without leaving the state. The view out of my loft just doesn't seem the same after leaving the San Juans?

Here is that view from 6600ft looking East into the Flat Tops. The three center peaks are called the Marvines. About 30 miles away. I think the closeness of the San Juans from the highway is what makes it so crazy? MAYBE, I need to quit being so picky and damned idealistic? :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Most Breathtaking Colorado Scenery-morning.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
I had to fly around the world for a couple of days, start my trek at 9,000 feet and get up to 18,000 (Gokyo), forget most of the trip because of altitude
I'm personally not a fan of spending lots of time above treeline. When I camp and hike I prefer the woods. I like the diversity of the forest: the waters, the flora and fauna, the shade. Above treeline is too barren and visually monotonous for my taste.

The crags of the San Juans are impressive, but I tend to be attracted to the greener, more forested areas.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
I love the sight from the "ground level" of the big treeless granite tops with the snow blankets. It never fails to thrill me.
The peaks in Nepal, while of course higher, were mostly viewed from, say, 12,000 feet, so their additional height was sort of lost on me. Everest appeared only a bit taller than those right next to it.
Although I was interested in seeing an area where everyone was Buddhist, I am much more interested in the overall history and culture of the Mountain West.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Yes, I like the views of the crags, but I don't like hiking or camping above treeline.

Quote:
Although I was interested in seeing an area where everyone was Buddhist, I am much more interested in the overall history and culture of the Mountain West.
Read "Beatty's Cabin: Adventures in the Pecos High Country"

Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
Years ago,..(15 to 20,..can't remember exactly)..National Geographic did an article on the " Most Beautiful And Scenic drives/parts of each and every state.. It took years to complete!! The winner of Colorado was.....The drive/view,..as one comes to Silvercliffe/Westcliffe and, you see that most gorgeous mountain range!!! The drive that they picked was from Wetmore on into Silvercliffe. It IS VERY MAJESTIC and, I must say , I thought,..(the first time I saw it),..looked almost fake!! Of all the places in this Wonderful state of ours...who would have thought?!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Years ago,..(15 to 20,..can't remember exactly)..National Geographic did an article on the " Most Beautiful And Scenic drives/parts of each and every state.. It took years to complete!! The winner of Colorado was.....The drive/view,..as one comes to Silvercliffe/Westcliffe and, you see that most gorgeous mountain range!!! The drive that they picked was from Wetmore on into Silvercliffe. It IS VERY MAJESTIC and, I must say , I thought,..(the first time I saw it),..looked almost fake!! Of all the places in this Wonderful state of ours...who would have thought?!!!
Oh wow, how could I have forgotten to include that drive in my post! You are absolutely right, it's truly spectacular.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,980,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Oh wow, how could I have forgotten to include that drive in my post! You are absolutely right, it's truly spectacular.
I'm gonna have to try this one out, sure is in the middle of nowhere

Is there anything else to see in that area while I'm there? Not too far from Royal Gorge

Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
I don't hike or camp but have ridden horseback on the Horsethief Trail and Bridge to Heaven (called it the "Gates to hell!") If there is a prettier more amazing ride in the world, please let me know where it is!
No horses in Nepal, the trails don't permit. Yaks above 10,000 feet for pack trips.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I'm gonna have to try this one out, sure is in the middle of nowhere

Is there anything else to see in that area while I'm there? Not too far from Royal Gorge
I would continue driving Co-69 towards Salida and Buena Vista. There are hot springs in the area and the drive is beautiful too! You could also hit up the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
Outside of Wetmore there is Bishops Castle!!! Pretty cool...the guy who built it is usually there...he's pretty extreme in his views!!HA! The castle is awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado