Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,555,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLancelot911 View Post
Today's forecast for Seattle: 49/38 and rain. For a change of pace, we'll get more of it for the next 4 days as well, at least. I am so sick of this...
You should come south, we have had a couple of days with 60s and sun the last few.

My wife and I move to Portland from FoCo (I also lived in the springs a few years), and we really miss many things about it.

Knowing your are coming from Seattle, I would definitely recommend FoCo over the Springs. It's a way more similar city, with somewhat progressive planning a neutral to slightly liberal political climate, and much better cultural options. I know people say I'm a little crazy, but I have always thought of FoCo as a small CO version of Portland, both are pretty heavy into bikes and beer!

Also regarding the water topic, coming from Seattle it's going to be a VERY different feeling of "water" in CO. I grew up on the great lakes and have lived in Seattle as well, and CO is definitely not a "water" state. I would constantly snicker at the boat dealerships around Northern Colorado, and just wonder why people were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. There are MANY great things about Colorado, but a great boating state it is not (though good rafting and kayaking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,408,777 times
Quote:
You all have pretty much sealed the decision for us. My wife and I both want to move there. BADLY!

Today's forecast for Seattle: 49/38 and rain. For a change of pace, we'll get more of it for the next 4 days as well, at least. I am so sick of this...
Have you ever actually been here? Have you ever actually experienced the climate--and not just the few pleasant months in summer? Do you really know what living in an arid continental climate is like?

Do you have a job in hand here?

You had better answer all of those questions in the affirmative before you make the leap to move here. It may save you a whole lot of disappointment and cost if you find Colorado is not what you are dreaming about from looking at a Google map.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 AM

50 posts, read 208,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Have you ever actually been here? Have you ever actually experienced the climate--and not just the few pleasant months in summer? Do you really know what living in an arid continental climate is like?

Do you have a job in hand here?

You had better answer all of those questions in the affirmative before you make the leap to move here. It may save you a whole lot of disappointment and cost if you find Colorado is not what you are dreaming about from looking at a Google map.
I have not been there yet but my wife and I plan on visiting later this year, likely september/october or so.

No job in-hand yet, but once I have one there we'll have the freedom to move.

As for the arid climate, I've spent a lot of time in eastern washington (east of the Cascade Mtns) where it's considerably dryer than the west side. Significantly lower humidity levels, much more summer sun and hotter temperatures, much more winter snow and colder temperatures (lowest I've been in was -12 for a couple days), etc.

I love the eastern Washington climate, but the aren't a lot of jobs. A good friend of mine lived in Colorado Springs for several years and only moved back to Seattle to take care of an aging family member. From his descriptions I can't imagine not loving the environment out there! He can't wait to move back. I'm at the point after 33 years where I desperately need a permanent change from the 7-8 months of constant gray cold miserable gloom that defines Seattle from October thru March/April. The stereotypes of Seattle are painfully true.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,555,297 times
Don't let jazz scare you too much.
I really think people from the NW can handle about any other area's weather. We put up with a lot here.

The only people that I feel ever have "problems" with CO weather, are people that are from the south and somehow never got the memo that there is winter in Colorado.

There are a few negatives of the drier climate:
Easier to dry out skin and chap lips.
Plants need more water.
Your towels actually dry out from shower to shower. No WAIT that's a good thing compared to the NW!

I also feel like you could go on almost any city-data forum right now and people are going to demand you have a job before you move to a new city. Times are tight everywhere.

Last edited by davemess10; 03-10-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM

25 posts, read 56,293 times
Hi SirLancelot,

I moved here to the Seattle area 2 years ago from Cheyenne, WY (45 minutes north of Fort Collins). We were considering Denver, Fort Collins, and Seattle at the time and the best job opportunity came from Seattle so we decided to give it a try.

Although there were a lot of things we liked about Seattle I can't stand the constant damp, dark weather. I'm currently planning to move back to the northern Colorado area over this summer.

I spent a lot of time in Fort Collins trying to avoid the terrible wind in Cheyenne. Fort Collins is a great town and I've been trying to move back there. However, jobs are a problem in FC. You might consider the Denver area also as there are much better job opportunities there. A few months back I went through 4 rounds of interviews with a great company in FC. I thought for sure I was getting the job but in the end it didn't pan out.

As some of the other guys here mentioned most of the boating and fishing is going to be on reservoirs and not natural lakes. The nice thing is, unlike western Washington, most lakes and reservoirs are PUBLIC property with good access and not completely surrounded by houses.

For bigger water head up into Wyoming to some of the reservoirs. Glendo and Guernsey Reservoirs are nice.

btw- I thought people exaggerated about the weather in Seattle... WRONG. Everything I read was right. 9 months of dark, damp, dreary weather, with a very short summer of 2-3 months max.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
Hi SirLancelot,

I moved here to the Seattle area 2 years ago from Cheyenne, WY (45 minutes north of Fort Collins). We were considering Denver, Fort Collins, and Seattle at the time and the best job opportunity came from Seattle so we decided to give it a try.

Although there were a lot of things we liked about Seattle I can't stand the constant damp, dark weather. I'm currently planning to move back to the northern Colorado area over this summer.

I spent a lot of time in Fort Collins trying to avoid the terrible wind in Cheyenne. Fort Collins is a great town and I've been trying to move back there. However, jobs are a problem in FC. You might consider the Denver area also as there are much better job opportunities there. A few months back I went through 4 rounds of interviews with a great company in FC. I thought for sure I was getting the job but in the end it didn't pan out.

As some of the other guys here mentioned most of the boating and fishing is going to be on reservoirs and not natural lakes. The nice thing is, unlike western Washington, most lakes and reservoirs are PUBLIC property with good access and not completely surrounded by houses.

For bigger water head up into Wyoming to some of the reservoirs. Glendo and Guernsey Reservoirs are nice.

btw- I thought people exaggerated about the weather in Seattle... WRONG. Everything I read was right. 9 months of dark, damp, dreary weather, with a very short summer of 2-3 months max.
Thank you for the reply. Replies from those of you who've experienced "God's Country" out there and then a much cooler but wetter hell out here in Seattle are much appreciated as you really do help give a lot of real-world experience and perspective.

I'm not terribly worried about water recreation, per se, as we don't own a boat and have no plans of doing so. Even if I did, I don't know how to do anything other than kneeboard and innertube. I'm thinking more of water locations for kids to romp around, the dog to retrieve sticks, me to learn to fish (and teach my kids the same), places to pitch a tent or set up the tent trailer near, etc. Many of the so-called "lakes" in Eastern Washington where we frequently vacation are really just stretches of the Columbia River that have been dammed-up and form a slightly more static body of water (Lake Entiat, Lake Chelan, and others). I'm very used to those and couldn't care less they're not "natural" in a literal sense.

Every daylight hour today had non-stop driving rain here in the Snohomish County area (north of Seattle). More of the same is forcast for the next 4 days at least. No exaggeration whatsoever, either! We had sun peek between the rain clouds for a brief few minutes yesterday afternoon and it literally made my day. Then the rain started again... The 2-3 months of summer ARE beautiful (usually), but don't compensate for the remaining 8-9 months of misery. I can tollerate it usually through about mid/late November. December/January are getting toward my breaking point. February-March/April are completely miserable. I remember January/February 2008 (or was it 2007?) where we had something like 31+ consecutive days with significant measurable rainfall, all back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back... Talk about hell.

As for the specific FC area, if I can't get a job in the city, I'm certainly willing to look nearby in Loveland or even a bit further south toward the Boulder metropolitan area, although I'd certainly prefer to avoid it due to the higher real estate prices.

Last edited by SirLancelot911; 03-12-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,399,659 times
The Boulder metropolitan area..... I have never heard of Boulder referred to that way before. Made me laugh out loud.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Lets try the "greater Boulder area". :-)

Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM

25 posts, read 56,293 times
Quote:
Every daylight hour today had non-stop driving rain here in the Snohomish County area (north of Seattle). More of the same is forcast for the next 4 days at least. No exaggeration whatsoever, either! We had sun peek between the rain clouds for a brief few minutes yesterday afternoon and it literally made my day. Then the rain started again... The 2-3 months of summer ARE beautiful (usually), but don't compensate for the remaining 8-9 months of misery. I can tollerate it usually through about mid/late November. December/January are getting toward my breaking point. February-March/April are completely miserable. I remember January/February 2008 (or was it 2007?) where we had something like 31+ consecutive days with significant measurable rainfall, all back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back... Talk about hell.

Colorado's weather is MUCH better than western Washington in my opinion. It can get pretty windy at times in the winter and early spring, but you will get some really nice days in the 60's and sometimes even the 70's. The dry wind will dry out your skin and your hands will get pretty tore up.

It's funny, because in December I was starting to think that its not to bad here. Then I found out that this December was one of the DRIEST on record! Now we are into March which has been just terrible. Its funny that lot of people from Western Washington think that Colorado is too cold. I think its colder in Washington. Everyday it's in the low to mid 40's and DAMP.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM

3,113 posts, read 5,017,022 times
Default You will love it!

Quote:
...I'm thinking more of water locations for kids to romp around, the dog to retrieve sticks, me to learn to fish (and teach my kids the same), places to pitch a tent or set up the tent trailer near, etc. ...
Sir Lancelot,

You will love the area! We drive up from Denver to go camping in the Roosevelt National Forest, enjoy the Poudre river (many great campgrounds along it). We also like Carter Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado