U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM

350 posts, read 607,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
For the OP, another suggestions. Valley of the Gods B&B, technically in Mexican Hat, Utah, but really in the middle of some 300,000 acres of federal land. The original ranch house with several acres was retained in private ownership and rehabbed into a several-room B&B, complete with a tiny apartment in the root cellar. It was quite a feeling, dining by candlelight on the porch, with no one else but the few visitors and hosts around. The cook at the time was a retired woman who also ran archeology classes from Crow Creek Canyon Arch., in Cortez. It's a fascinating drive from Durango to the B&B and absolutely worth the drive (and the reservations).
Best wishes on the trip.
Thanks, that's an interesting idea we'll have to look at that for a night or two. As for your second-to-last post, unfortunately as you said there are now a lot more people in this country than there were, so places can get crowded in the summer. I looked at going to Lake Powell for a day or two but the hotels were already almost completely full up. As long as Durango is not as wall-to-wall traffic as Estes Park was on Fourth of July Weekend I will be happy. To me that seemed like the epitome of a beautiful spot, nice town with great restaurants ruined by way too many visitors.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM

12,850 posts, read 24,511,901 times
I went to Lake Powell with a friend for a few days in 1984. I thought it was a terrible place. Desert buttes should not stick up from a lake! There seemed to be a lot of hotel/RV type crowding and lots of drunken Texans (or somewhere) with big boats. The visitor center had a sight that I will never forget- there was a little stage in the center and a Native woman in traditional dress was weaving. On the stage. Probably an eight-hour shift for minimum wage to be gawked at. It really horrified me, although work is work, it seemed way over the top of making objects of people and culture.
If you want to do boating things, go to wherever the real water and boats are!
Anyway, my view is obviously not even-handed.
If you are willing to try Lake Powell, consider Zion National Park, about 50 miles west. It is the most beautiful park I've ever seen. Also, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (3,000 acres) is on the road from Powell to Zion, and they have visitor tours and it is a very very neat place in the red rock country.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM

118 posts, read 268,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
The only way it would take more than 10 minutes to traverse the mean streets of Durango is if the battery on your Hoveround wasn't properly charged. Hell, the free trolley runs on 20 minute cycles and it's NEVER late, so it's inconceivable that an adult of sound driving ability should take longer than a ten-ton trolley making a dozen stops. Does Colorado pull driver's licenses at a certain age? If not, this thread makes me think it should. 20 minutes?...bwahahahaha.
^^ This.

Today I went from Home Depot to my kid's daycare, which is right next to the Iron Horse Inn, almost at the beginning of CR203...by any measure a complete traverse of the entire town, and then some, with some pretty bad luck with the timing of lights...at 5:10 pm! AND it's TX spring break week, so town is nuts. It took me...wait for it...11 minutes.

And "bumper to bumper" traffic? NEVER seen it happen. I don't think there are enough motor vehicles in La Plata county to create it under any normal circumstances. Jazz, you realize that when traffic lights turn red, cars literally line up bumper-to-bumper...but that's not "bumper to bumper traffic", right?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,279,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
I must have low expectations, as an East Coast transplant. But, again, as someone who's actually here every day, I can tell you I see a LOT more cowboy hats and Carharts than dresses or Polo shirts...by a wide margin. Hell, I see guys walking around with well used spurs on a regular basis.
That's definitely an affectation of more recent vintage. In earlier times people generally dressed up when they were in town, including those who wore cowboy clothes back at the ranch. Suits, ties and dresses would have been considered more appropriate and fashionable, lest one be considered a poor clod.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,125,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
To me that seemed like the epitome of a beautiful spot, nice town with great restaurants ruined by way too many visitors.
You just described Durango--and you can add way too many transplants housed in the rural suburbia yuppieville extending 12 miles north of town.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM

118 posts, read 268,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You just described Durango--and you can add way too many transplants housed in the rural suburbia yuppieville extending 12 miles north of town.
I'm sorry I ruined Colorado by moving here.

You are something else...I can honestly say I hope we never meet.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 AM

97 posts, read 101,076 times
I would consider Taos, New Mexico. If one word would describe it I'd say it would be "ecclectic." You will find arts, music, dining, lodging, Native American culture, New Age, Hippy, famous people, on and on. It is a unique place with overwhelming beauty. Check it out.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
jchasse wrote:
I'm sorry I ruined Colorado by moving here.
How could you be so insensitive? Apparently, you were the straw that broke the camels back, making Colorado a completely undesirable palce to live. On the plus side....no one's going to have a desire to live in Colorado anymore. Maybe it'll revert back to the way it was in the 60s when it was absolutely perfect.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,697 times
The thing is Durango is a myth.

It is an isolated town, miles from anywhere filled with people that love to imagine themselves as free spirited outsiders.

The definition of ‘free spirit’ seems to be the wearing of big business outdoor wear as lounge wear, the inability to ride a bike without a head to toe lycra clown suit (and assorted accessories), the inability to hike anywhere there is not a signed trail and an asphalt parking lot, and seeing alcoholism as a badge of your individualism.

To live in Durango you need to hate tourists, even though they are the only thing keeping you afloat.

To live in Durango you need to see New Mexico as beneath you, even though you need to go there to shop every month. Unless you need $300 hiking boots or some colorful lycra or a t-shirt that says ‘Durango’ on it, well then Durango has you covered.

To live in Durango you need to profess your love of the outdoors, but seldom ever go there.

To live in Durango you need to be patient because they lock the gates to the forest access roads for up to 9 months a year.

To live in Durango you need to understand that Cortez is an authentic southwest town. Durango is merely playing dress up for the tourists.

To live in Durango is to not notice the weather kind of sucks. Often.

To live in Durango is to pay a lot for rent and get very, very little.

To live in Durango is think that ‘alpine’ is all that matters, even though you are surrounded by desert on 3 sides.

To live in Durango is to work a job that pays 10 dollars an hour and they want you to do everything from doing the books to scrubbing the toilet.

To move to Durango is to be blamed for everything.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 PM

169 posts, read 318,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonk View Post
To live in Durango is to not notice the weather kind of sucks. Often. .
Ignore all future communiques from this poster, they have obviously never visited Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or