U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM

350 posts, read 561,679 times

Advertisements

Hi my fiancée and I are getting married in August and we are looking for somewhere fun to go on a honeymoon. We want something that is Western and has mountains but not pretentious (more cowboy boots and jeans than polo shirts and dresses.) We want to go horseback riding, see Native American culture, enjoy a wide variety of restaurants, and music events. I was comparing Durango and Cortez and Durango looked like it had more to offer. We also looked at staying at a dude ranch but this seemed very expensive and we want to have more autonomy to "do our own thing". So is Durango a safe town? Nice? Fun? Are there other places I should consider? Vail and Aspen are out of the question.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
NCN

19,911 posts, read 19,254,241 times
I can see Durango as a very romantic place. My husband and I stayed in Pagosa Springs and drove our car to go on the Durango-Silverton train. I think I would enjoy staying in Durango the next time around. It has walkable streets and the people are friendly. Another place we enjoyed was Sedona. We stayed in Flagstaff and drove to Sedona. Again, the next time around I think Sedona would be a good choice to stay. We saw more Indian culture in the Arizona area than we did in Colorado. The place we stayed at in Flagstaff had a planned bus trip for every day in the week. We took the bus to the Grand Canyon, but used the other bus trips as a guide and used our car to drive there. I love vacationing in both Colorado and Arizona and Ventura, California was a good vacation too.

http://www.durangotrain.com/

Oh, about the Indian culture, I forgot that we went to the Mesa Verde. Talk about an experience!

http://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm

I just noticed the August date of your honeymoon. Scratch the Sedona in August. Durango weather should be good at that time.

Last edited by NCN; 03-14-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM

19,397 posts, read 35,255,184 times
I'm sure Durango would be a fine place for a honeymoon. Be sure to ride the train to Silverton; get the ticket for the last car in the train and be sure to hang out on the rear platform as much as you can.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM

8,318 posts, read 23,744,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Hi my fiancée and I are getting married in August and we are looking for somewhere fun to go on a honeymoon. We want something that is Western and has mountains but not pretentious (more cowboy boots and jeans than polo shirts and dresses.) We want to go horseback riding, see Native American culture, enjoy a wide variety of restaurants, and music events. I was comparing Durango and Cortez and Durango looked like it had more to offer. We also looked at staying at a dude ranch but this seemed very expensive and we want to have more autonomy to "do our own thing". So is Durango a safe town? Nice? Fun? Are there other places I should consider? Vail and Aspen are out of the question.
The part I bolded above scratches Durango, in my opinion. It didn't used to be true, but Durango is turning into an increasingly pretentious yuppie resort town. Durango does have a wide variety of restaurants, but bring plenty of money if you plan to eat at any of them that are above hash-house quality. (One exception is Griego's--a hash house type restaurant that serves great New Mexican food at reasonable prices--it's the main place where I will stop in Durango to eat.)

I travel southern Colorado and northern New Mexico all the time--DM me if you want to know about some places that you might like.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM

118 posts, read 251,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The part I bolded above scratches Durango, in my opinion. It didn't used to be true, but Durango is turning into an increasingly pretentious yuppie resort town. Durango does have a wide variety of restaurants, but bring plenty of money if you plan to eat at any of them that are above hash-house quality. (One exception is Griego's--a hash house type restaurant that serves great New Mexican food at reasonable prices--it's the main place where I will stop in Durango to eat.)

I travel southern Colorado and northern New Mexico all the time--DM me if you want to know about some places that you might like.
Well, I live in Durango, and spend every day smack in the middle of town (I'm sitting at my desk looking down at the intersetion of 8th and Main as I type this...). I'll just say I disagree with Jazz's opinion, and leave it at that.

If you'd like to spend time outdoors, with plenty of very good dining options, I'd say Durango would be a great place for a honeymoon!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM

To more directly answer the original questions:

Yes, Durango is a safe place. At that time of year, you'll have lots of activity options - a bunch of places for horseback riding, you can fly fish or float the river. That's prime time for hiking and mountain biking, both in town and in the high country.

We've got 80+ restaurants (not sure what the official count is), with at least a dozen good fine dining options and 4 (soon to be 5) brewpubs. (Amazingly, the sushi's pretty good in town - that was a surprise when we moved here!)

You've got 6-12 decent galleries, a couple of movie theaters, and there is some form of live entertainment in town or at Ft. Lewis most every night.

The train to Silverton really is beautiful, as well. I'd recommend the train to Silverton and the motor-coach back, unless you want to spend 6-7 hrs total on the train.

Feel free to "DM" me with any particular questions...

On edit: August is pretty busy in town, so if you're thinking about hotels, you'll probably want to book soon. Some places to consider would include the Strater, the Leland House/Rochester, and the General Palmer. (I can't speak to the rooms themselves, as I've never stayed in a hotel in town...) Warning - The US Pro Cycling race starts in Durango on Aug. 20, so the place will probably be booked solid a few days either side of that date.

Last edited by jchasse; 03-14-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,244,508 times
Yeah Durango is a nice place ....

but, CORTEZ? Really?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yeah Durango is a nice place ....

but, CORTEZ? Really?
I've never been. Looked close to Mesa Verde National Park thats why I asked. If it is totally not in the same league as Durango than I understand your question marks!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

I will. Unfortunately a lot of the towns seem to be turning into resort towns but as long as it is not as horribly crowded as Estes Park or as gaudy looking as Vail I will be happy. I am prepared to spend 200-300/night for a nice hotel room and spend $20-30 per person per entree. What I am not prepared for is $800/night and a $200 for two table d'hôtes menu in Vail which is so totally far out of my league that it would make me feel uncomfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN

I just noticed the August date of your honeymoon. Scratch the Sedona in August. Durango weather should be good at that time.
I know the Grand Canyon Rim would be loaded with people but cool enough (70-80F), Sedona is another step down in elevation though towards Phoenix so I might worry about the heat there. We will probably stay mostly in southwest Colorado because it looks like there is so much to do there and we can save the Grand Canyon for another trip. We will take the train but take the motorcoach back (7 hours of train riding would get old for sure!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse

To more directly answer the original questions:

Yes, Durango is a safe place. At that time of year, you'll have lots of activity options - a bunch of places for horseback riding, you can fly fish or float the river. That's prime time for mountain biking, both in town and in the high country.

Awesome sounds exactly like what we want to do.

We've got 80+ restaurants (not sure what the official count is), with at least a dozen good fine dining options and 4 (soon to be 5) brewpubs. (Amazingly, the sushi's pretty good in town - that was a surprise when we moved here!)

I saw you all have an Indian lunch buffet and then also a sushi restaurant so it looked like really good dining. Any western style steakhouses?

You've got 6-12 decent galleries, a couple of movie theaters, and there is some form of live entertainment in town or at Ft. Lewis most every night.

Nice sounds fun.

The train to Silverton really is beautiful, as well. I'd recommend the train to Silverton and the motor-coach back, unless you want to spend 6-7 hrs total on the train.

From what I saw this looks like the plans, the ride looks beautiful but for 3-4 hours. Would not want to spend 7 hours on the train.

Feel free to "DM" me with any particular questions...

Will do.

On edit: August is pretty busy in town, so if you're thinking about hotels, you'll probably want to book soon. Some places to consider would include the Strater, the Leland House/Rochester, and the General Palmer. (I can't speak to the rooms themselves, as I've never stayed in a hotel in town...)

Thanks, although we just got engaged we will need to make sure we make reservations soon.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM

Yep, we've got a steakhouse or two...

Here are some of the "nicer" full service places that come immediately to mind (in no particular order, and comments are only my opinion):

Seasons (probably my personal favorite)
Cosmo (very good also)
The Ore House (western steakhouse)
Mahogany Grille
Cypress
East by Southwest (sushi)
Golden Triangle (Thai)
Sushi-tarian
Kennebec (a few miles out of town, but very good)
Ken & Sues (good food, just wish they’d change the menu once in a while)
The Palace
Steak House at Glacier Club
Norton’s (small on the outskirts of town, but we really like the food…)
New brick oven / Mediterranean place (under construction now, but we know the owners and should be open before Summer season)
Randy’s
Mutu’s
Red Snapper
Himalayan Kitchen (that’s the buffet you must have seen)

I've also heard good things about the steaks at Franco's, but can't speak firsthand

Last edited by jchasse; 03-14-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado