U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,573 times

Advertisements

We are looking into the possibility of moving to Gunnison and would love to know more about the community. DH is looking into transferring with his company, and I work remotely, so work is not an issue. We are more interested in knowing about the schools, entertainment options, personality of the town, etc. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM

16,178 posts, read 20,188,186 times
I like Gunnison and always have. I don't get over but three or four times a year as I love to fish Blue Mesa Reservoir. The winters are cold, plenty cold. The other people contributing to this thread will attest to that. In the summer you have 85 degree days with 45 to 50 degree nights. I don't know too much about the schools there, am not sure we have any current residents of Gunnison posting on city data. It DOES have a first rate college-Western State College. If you enjoy fishing you'll love it. Taylor Park is another fine reservoir.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

10,544 posts, read 11,642,242 times
You might want to visit say in mid February. It gets kinda cold there in winter. I've learned in my few years living in Colorado people who visit in summer, move in summer love it. Until winter. Then I hear about "holy cow it's cold!", and they move. Gunnison is a neat town, big enough to have plenty to do.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Gunnison is a nice community if you have an adequate job and income--and don't care about having a huge amount of "culture" or shopping nearby. It is not as pricey for real estate as some mountain locales, but it is not very affordable on many of the relatively few local jobs available.

I lived in Gunnison for several years (many years ago), but I still have a number of friends there. The biggest caveat is the climate. Gunnison is one of the coldest places in Colorado year-round, and one the coldest places in the United States. The last few years have been abnormally mild during the winter, but Gunnison can get regularly to -30 F. (that's MINUS 30)or colder during some winters--often going weeks with the temperature not getting above freezing. Summer is cool, but generally lovely--but very short. Frost can occur anytime. I've seen the low temperature go to 23 on the first day of summer, and snow before Labor Day. If you can't take that kind of extreme climate, then Gunnison is not for you. Otherwise, it can be a nice enough town.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,018 times
House prices
$180,000 to $210,000 for a smallish, pretty ordinary house, higher if you choose to live in a bigger house or in Crested Butte.
Property taxes in Colorado are low, but heating can be expensive, depending on the house.

Weather
Winter can be from the beginning of November to the end of March.
Mid-December to the end of February are almost always very cold, although there is not much wind or humidity, and the sky is usually blue and sunny unless it is snowing. Lots of winter sports options.
April and May are warmish (or should I say coolish) and can be blustery.
June to October are like living in heaven.

Area and outdoor sports
The town is green and pleasant but except for the river valleys, the immediate area is sagebush steppe. However, you don't have to go far to find beautiful areas - the town in surrounded on all sides by national forest.
If you like outdoor sports, there is just about anything you could think of except scuba diving.
Monarch and Crested Butte are nearby for skiing, there is a covered hockey rink, a recreation center with a pool and climbing wall, an okay golf course, a white-water park, hiking, mountain climbing, lots of mountain biking trails, lots of river fishing, Blue Mesa reservoir for fishing and boating. There is also deer and elk hunting. Horseback riding shouldn't be a problem if you are interested. Quite a few endurance/extreme sport enthusiasts if that is your thing.

For the kids
The schools are pretty average, but safe and friendly. No real drug problems and no gangs at all.
There are the usual school sports, kids hockey leagues, BMX and mountain biking, 4H, a Baptist Bible camp in the summer, a dance studio, and a cinema. Story hour at the library(I think). And the outdoors. No malls.

The community
Not exactly a cultural center, but a fair amount going on for such a small town. There is a fairly strong arts community for a small town. Also a guitar shop that sometimes has live events.
There is an Arts Center that stays fairly active, a Rodeo in July, a vintage car show in August and lots of summer entertainment in Crested Butte (30 miles north), including a popular wild flower festival in July.
Several community gardens.
A farmer's market once a week during the warmer months.
A local ranch that provides beef/pork/poultry to the community.
Western State College offers short, non-credit courses to the community.
High school and college sports.

Downtown
Lots of restaurants for such a small town (family, delis, health-food diner, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Thai, etc) with more in Crested Butte, a couple of coffee houses. Awine bar, a brewery, a couple of bars. Three or four liquor stores, and lots of churches (almost as many churches as realtor offices).
Shopping isn't great and changes yearly. At the moment there is a good second-hand store, two women's clothing, one men's, one family, one teenage/family, a couple of sporting goods, a couple of bike shops, a book store, three furniture stores, ACE, Tru-Value, Safeway, City Market, the World's Smallest Walmart, and lots of tourist shops. (Apologies to everyone I left out.) Special mention to Miller's Furniture which has survived at least 70 years in a town that, economically speaking, is the equivalent of the second or third level of hell. Luckily, there are lots of tax dollars in town - Forest Service, Wildlife Management, the college, county seat - to keep things ticking along. There are five or six banks, so somebody has got money.
Lots of people make trips to Montrose if they want to shop at a mall or a larger national chain.

Health
A local hospital with heliport, and limited surgical services.
Nursing home and senior housing.
Two traditional doctor offices and one naturopathic.
Two chiropractor practices.
Several dentists.
Two optometrists.
Massage, Pilates, fitness clubs, etc.
No dermatologist (nearest ones are 60 miles away in Montrose and Salida).

The people
A mix of long-time ranching families, small town workers and professionals, college teachers and their families, a couple thousand college kids, imported yuppies, hardcore sports enthusiasts and a few short-term residents who didn't realize how cold the winters are.
To socialize with intense outdoor enthusiasts, entertaining/irritating dropouts, trust-fund babies and rich part-time residents, head north to Crested Butte. (Crested Butte is to Aspen, what Amy Winehouse is to Madonna, if that makes sense.)
There are also the remnants of some really great old mining families in Crested Butte.
In both towns, generally a hardy, friendly, down-to-earth, and fairly educated group.

Think Mayberry meets Northern Exposure. On steroids.

Last edited by newtotrinidad; 07-27-2012 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: add a sentence

Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM

36 posts, read 85,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklindsay View Post
We are looking into the possibility of moving to Gunnison and would love to know more about the community. DH is looking into transferring with his company, and I work remotely, so work is not an issue. We are more interested in knowing about the schools, entertainment options, personality of the town, etc. Thanks!

Don't get your hopes up. This town is small. So prepare for that small-town atmosphere. You sound like you guys may be looking for a bit more of a cultured place, with a bit more activites, that's the vibe I get from your inquiry. I'm not going to go into too much detail, because many previous posters mentioned this already. Gunnison is your stereotypical small town. The town, I believe wants to remain small, so you kind of get that "locals only" vibe when you're there. I like the town personally, it's nice, a cute town to visit if you're just passing through, but I don't think I would want to live there full-time. There are not a lot of dining options. Also, the food is a bit pricey, I call it the "small-town tax", that makes dining and grocery shopping more expensive because they usually have to bring alot of their supplies in from other areas, and to make up that expense, it gets tacked onto your prices. For example, I was in Gunnison awhile back on business, we were eating at a local diner and the lady behind us was complaining loudly at the prices. I don't blame her, I hadn't looked at the menu yet, but when I did, they wanted $4.00 for a single buttermilk biscuit!!! You'll run into that alot. The best place to eat there is Mario's. Although they are only open for lunch and dinner. Great Itallian food!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think they have a one-screen theater there, and that's it for entertainment.

I think Gunnison would be a small-town choice to retire, but I think there are better options, especially if you're coming there with kids. I'm sure one of the largest employers in Gunnison is Walmart, and there likely isn't anyone employing more than they do (and it's a small Walmart at that, no groceries, 4 registers, and that's it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado