U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,553,379 times

Advertisements

The OP asked about Loveland, not FC. Loveland is a bit of a satellite city of the Fort -- similar in some ways, but no university, so the demographics trend older, with a number of retirees. Nice town, but I think FC is better for the OP's age group.

Longmont is considered in Boulder's orbit -- though it may look close to Loveland on a map, it's really pretty separated. It's actually getting to be a nice town -- a bit like what Fort Collins once was about 10-15 years ago. The granola element is definitely there, in moderation, but it's not as pervasive as you'd find in Boulder. You'll read lots of stuff on city-data about Longmont having a gang problem and crime problem -- unfortunately this is mostly rubbish, at least by big-city standards. This impression comes because Longmont is slightly more diverse than other towns in Boulder County.

The other places you mentioned Centennial, Aurora and Cherry Creek -- are all in metro Denver. I'm guessing you actually mean the Cherry Creek School District and not the tony city-center Denver neighborhood. Cherry Creek School District is usually reckoned the "best" school district by those who rank such things, though I can think of half a dozen other ones that be good as well. Anywhere in that school district (which includes parts of Aurora and Centennial, among other cities), is definitely a good clean middle-class or better suburban area in Metro Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
You'll read lots of stuff on city-data about Longmont having a gang problem and crime problem -- unfortunately this is mostly rubbish, at least by big-city standards. This impression comes because Longmont is slightly more diverse than other towns in Boulder County.

What do you mean by big-city standards? The gang crime impression comes because Longmont is littered with graffiti and homies. Stand on any corner in Longmont and within 5 minutes you are guaranteed to feel someones car stereo in your chest. Property values have went down and the city is hemorrhaging respected retailers being replaced by carniceria's and phone card stores, some call it "diverse" some call it a negative impact on property values and quality of life, I guess the outlook depends how much money you have invested in either of those.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:53 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,553,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dee View Post
What do you mean by big-city standards? The gang crime impression comes because Longmont is littered with graffiti and homies. Stand on any corner in Longmont and within 5 minutes you are guaranteed to feel someones car stereo in your chest. Property values have went down and the city is hemorrhaging respected retailers being replaced by carniceria's and phone card stores, some call it "diverse" some call it a negative impact on property values and quality of life, I guess the outlook depends how much money you have invested in either of those.
I stand by my statement about Longmont. The presence of the odd Carniceria doesn't change my opinion about the town, which you'll find in just about every Metro Denver suburb as well. City-data crime index at 233.2 is far lower than the national average and comparable the crime rates in many better suburbs of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado