U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 AM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times

Advertisements

Folks it's RIDGWAY no "E".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
A few years ago I went through the post baccalaureate teaching program at Mesa State in Grand Junction. One of my cohorts was from Ridgway. She did her student teaching in Ouray, and thought for sure she would get a teaching job there or in the Ridgway school district the following year. She knew the school district officials (it's very small and she had a child in the school system), as well as had a year's student teaching experience in the next district over. She wasn't offered a job. It took her 3 years to finally get a teaching job in Ridgway. So, they may or may not be looking at hiring local folks. If you are serious about living there, apply and see.

You may also want to look at schools in Montrose, as it's commutable from Ridgway (but yes, it's mountain driving). As others have stated, definitely take a trip there before you decide you want to move. Ridgway is very small and somewhat isolated. Cost of living is high (not Long Island standards high) relative to wages. I know a first year teacher makes about 30K in Western Colorado. Not sure what an experienced teacher from outside the state would start at.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 30,138 times
I realized that there would be a huge pay cut from Long Island. Teachers start here at around 45,000-55,000 depending on the location of the school district. We have always been interested in Colorado and happen to notice that Ridgway had both an elementary and Technology postion open. Do you work in the Colorado State Schools? Do you know if the pension, health insurance, benefits are good for teachers? Do you think we would be able to live in the Ridgway School District with two of us working say making 65,000 together? I realize that we make more in Long Island but the cost of owning a house(we do) here is crazy so we figured it would equal out. We also have a 8 month old and 4 year old going to be 5 in the fall. We would want a good school district for him to attend. Education is very important to us. We know from living on Long Island that when you move one town over the school district could be totally different. Do you know if the Montrose School District is a decent district in terms of students safety and educational opportunities.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 30,138 times
I guess we are trying to figure out if relocating to this area is worth it and safe. Seems like no place is safe for teachers to keep a job. Can't hurt to apply and see what happens.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,082,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I think I've read this before (lil Jazz~~~)

Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That was me and I know better, oops! I blame it on the dog trying to push me out of bed all night and not enough caffeine this morning.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,820,256 times
My husband and I have looked at the area around Montrose, since he applied for a job there. I drove through Montrose and Ridgway about a month ago, and have been looking multiple times a week on Zillow. My husband would make not quite $60,000 with his new position. As it is just a transfer/promotion in the same agency, and we move frequently, we have got pretty good at realizing our monetary constaints as seen in different locals. We determined that we can afford Montrose, but haven't seen too much in Ridgway that we can. However, we also factor in the 20 mile (?) commute to Montrose into the equation. You may, also, though. I only drove through Ridgway a little, but it is a small town. I like the scenery on that end of the area better, but after living in a 500 person town for three years, I want a little more. So you may have to figure in the expense of driving to Montrose for major shopping or for kid activities. I don't know what Ridgway has. But it can be done. Currently, I go shopping every two weeks (we are VERY isolated here).

That doesn't help too much, but I thought I would pipe in since we have been looking at the area too, and make approximately the same amount. I also wouldn't minimize the isolation factor. I have read a lot on the CD boards about how isolated the western slope is. I usually laugh at this, after living where I have (I mean, Montrose has a grocery store! It has more than one! And restuarants? Wow!), but I'm guessing it will be far different from where you currently are.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Tappin View Post
I realized that there would be a huge pay cut from Long Island. Teachers start here at around 45,000-55,000 depending on the location of the school district. We have always been interested in Colorado and happen to notice that Ridgway had both an elementary and Technology postion open. Do you work in the Colorado State Schools? Do you know if the pension, health insurance, benefits are good for teachers? Do you think we would be able to live in the Ridgway School District with two of us working say making 65,000 together? I realize that we make more in Long Island but the cost of owning a house(we do) here is crazy so we figured it would equal out. We also have a 8 month old and 4 year old going to be 5 in the fall. We would want a good school district for him to attend. Education is very important to us. We know from living on Long Island that when you move one town over the school district could be totally different. Do you know if the Montrose School District is a decent district in terms of students safety and educational opportunities.
I no longer live in Colorado. I taught in Grand Junction for a year before moving to Oregon. Overall I was satisfied with the benefits provided in our district. However, if good schools are important to you, I'm not sure how the Western Slope will rate compared with Long Island. They are rurally funded school districts, and no matter what, you are not going to get the type of programs you would get in a large city. Honestly, I would highly advise you to take a trip out there to determine if it's even a remote possibility. You might be in for a huge shock.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Ridgway is a nice small town with great scenery and at a decent elevation.

But it's a town you bring your own money to, not a place you move to make a living at.

I have 2 relatives who have lived there for over a decade and bought in 20 years ago. Both are your typical city liberal yuppies who had high paying professional jobs for over 20 years and then even after moving to Ridgway still commuted several hours away for work, even in other states. For many years they even had another house to live in and came home to Ridgway on weekends.

Not a lot of the real estate around there is geared towards average people on average incomes.

If you can score 2 jobs at a decent salary and find a local place to live that doesn't cost a fortune, certainly give it a go.

But it is going to be a major adjustment as the population density is low and once you step off of the local major highways you are in some wide open areas and wilderness. The amount of goods and services at your fingertips is going to be a thimble full in comparison to what you are used to.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
The town of Ridgway has about 900 official residents. Ouray County has, I think, about 4500 official residents. As one friend of mine there said, "Half the county is trying to make a living off the other half." (He grew up there, lives in a mobile home that is paid for, and paints houses when he's not mountain climbing).
Montrose has about 20,000 people, and most of what one would have to drive for, you have in Montrose. Ridgway/Ouray is the greatest outta town in the world, and you can see the mountains from the highway in Montrose. Montrose is much cheaper for everything, and there's a local airport where you can get flights to Denver or other major cities (usually through Denver, and the smaller flights aren't cheap).
Remember that driving to Denver has a lot to do with the weather, that is, you can't count on being able to drive there for much of the year.
I agree that someone used to the educational offerings in Long Island is not likely to see the same level or amount of stuff in Montrose or Ridgway/Ouray. Not that schools are bad, as far as I know, but obviously limited by size and funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado