U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,201,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Ridgway is a nice small town with great scenery and at a decent elevation.

But it's a town you bring your own money to, not a place you move to make a living at.

I have 2 relatives who have lived there for over a decade and bought in 20 years ago. Both are your typical city liberal yuppies who had high paying professional jobs for over 20 years and then even after moving to Ridgway still commuted several hours away for work, even in other states. For many years they even had another house to live in and came home to Ridgway on weekends.

Not a lot of the real estate around there is geared towards average people on average incomes.

If you can score 2 jobs at a decent salary and find a local place to live that doesn't cost a fortune, certainly give it a go.

But it is going to be a major adjustment as the population density is low and once you step off of the local major highways you are in some wide open areas and wilderness. The amount of goods and services at your fingertips is going to be a thimble full in comparison to what you are used to.
Absolutely well stated! I recall attending an education fair when I graduated in 2007. Ridgway school district was there, and I interviewed with them. They were pushing the town's affordable housing as a way to recruit new teachers. The affordable housing, available to first time home buyers (which I didn't quality for), started at 300K. That was double what I paid for my home in Grand Junction, and this was basically considered low-income housing in Ridgway. Now, coming from Long Island, that probably seems affordable, however, making the mortgage payment can be tough on a teacher's salary, especially if you both are not able to secure employment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,488,520 times
I saw two houses in Ridgway, one in Solar Ranch, and the other in town (Lena St.?) 3 bed, 2 baths, have been listed at $189,000 for months now. They look pretty nice and are right in town.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,201,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I saw two houses in Ridgway, one in Solar Ranch, and the other in town (Lena St.?) 3 bed, 2 baths, have been listed at $189,000 for months now. They look pretty nice and are right in town.
Wow, prices have sure dropped since I last saw. Of course, I wasn't really looking, and that was back in 2007, so I'm sure the economy took it's toll there as well. My friend lives in Solar Ranch and it's a nice little community. The lots are small, but you don't really need a yard or anything when you have so much surrounding you.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM

68 posts, read 143,766 times
Default Wrong town?

That would not be an area I would choose for making a living. You cannot eat the San Juans and their view.......

You need to be flexible and pick a dozen towns you could live with and enjoy more than NY; then match up some employment that might work.

As many noted, the competition is getting fierce for these. Also, the security would absolutely stink initially as noted. We are two teachers with decent reputations for results, of non-probationary status, and we still are not naive enough to think that if school budgets do not improve, hey would love to find a way to ax many of us making $50 to be replaced by new ones making $15 to 20k less.

Those are my thoughts on this for now. I guess I would be open to a Kremmling, a Monte Vista, a Canon City/Florence, Cortez, or maybe even a Pueblo with the idea of living in the beautiful and more affordable mtns to the West of Pueblo? These are much more likely places where you might find 2 jobs, less commute, and real estate you can afford at all.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,488,520 times
I agree with the jobs assessment, as stated. Just wanted readers to know how housing prices are looking in the area (my own little obsession from here back East).
There are a lot of foreclosures, mostly outside of town. They seem to be in HOA-type areas, so a buyer would be linked to the whole subdivision or HOA for fees to be carried out, which, with a condo here in the East, I found to be very dicey in a changing economy. A free-standing house, you have the financial control.
I really liked Solar Ranch. When it was first developed, I thought the "adobe" look was absurd in a mountain area, since that area isn't originally adobe, "real" or "not." However, I loved the interior design and finishes and a friend of mine took me to see one house that he was painting in S.R., and said that the "adobe" covering stuff is actually very good in extreme weather for holding up, so I've gotten used to the idea of a desert building material up in the mountains.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
Hi my name is Dale. I hope you read this before you do anything drastic. Me & my wife lived in Oceanside Long Island for 30 years, just a few blocks from Nathens on Long Beach Road. We moved to Oceanside from brooklyn where we were born because houses on the Island at that time were a little cheeper than back in Brooklyn. Our now grown sons attented school in Oceanside from kindergarden to 12th grade.

Way back in the 1970's me & the wife vacationed many times all over Colorado looking for that perfect place to raise our family, we thought Long Island was not that place, we couldn't have been more wrong.

We were children ourselves barely 24 years old, we knew everything, but knew nothing. Moving there would have ment that I would have to leave my New York City Transit Authority job that I only had 2 years invested & go to a state who's employment situation as I learned from our visits there, sucked back then and still sucks.

I'm gonna pass along the best advice that I ever got, I got this advice some 35 years ago, the giver of this advice was a job mate from, you guessed it, Colorado, so what does that tell ya. What he told me was "Dale you can't eat those mountins". Jobs in the best of times are scarce and there are very few if any unions there. When you get snowed in & can't make it to work you don't get paid. If your town is small enough and your illness is serious enough you'll be heli-coptered to the nearest hospital, hopefully they can fix you there. The locals will take care of there own before they take care of you. They call western states " right to work states" bull**** these are all right to get fired states without unions. ( be careful, very careful)

So here we are 35+ years later. WE decided to stick it out on Long Island. Am I glad I did. I put in 26 years with the Transit Authority & retired.

I'm passing along that great advice that I took so many years ago. Think long and hard about leaving everything thats fimilure to you and your husband for a place that you know nothing about. Do whatever it takes to find another job in any of the many towns in Nassau & Suffok Counties. If you haven't found one its because you haven't tried hard enough. Find something with the county or the state. In 25 of so years you to will be receiving a pension check and then you can move to Colorado if you can stand the Colorado winters by that stage of your live's.

P.S. Colorado will have to wait for the next go around. We've retired to Las Vegas. No winter to speak of here, 320 plus days of sunshine & yes it's a little hot for 3 months in the summer , but you don't have to shovel the heat. And yes the pension check arrives on time every month for the past 13 years. Who's gonna do that for ya in Colorado ??????????
Good Luck To Ya Both
Dale

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-04-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado