U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 30,128 times

Advertisements

Question about moving to Ridgway from Long Island New York. We currently are being excessed from our teaching positions in Long Island. New York is a disaster and there is no teaching jobs. If me and my husband relocate to ridgway co to live and become teachers in their school district(saw openings for the school year 2012-2013. Will we be able to afford living in this town with two small children. Does anybody who has children in the school know if they are constantly excessing teachers? Is it hard to live on two teachers salaries in that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Default How is it living in Ridgway Co?

Question about moving to Ridgway from Long Island New York. We currently are being excessed from our teaching positions in Long Island. New York is a disaster and there is no teaching jobs. If me and my husband relocate to ridgway co to live and become teachers in their school district(saw openings for the school year 2012-2013. Will we be able to afford living in this town with two small children. Does anybody who has children in the school know if they are constantly excessing teachers? Is it hard to live on two teachers salaries in that town.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
(I frequently visit Ridgway, since 1988, follow property there and get their local paper for years, but do not live there).
If you sold a house in LI, likely you'd be able to buy a decent house in or around Ridgway. I don't know about teachers' salaries, but I gather it's very hard to get one job, never mind two. Is "excessing" the same as laying off, or is it linked to enrollment, or seniority, or what?
There is at least one poster on this forum who is very very familiar with the area and has family in the teaching world out there. I think you'll see a response that is more local from that poster.
I think Ridgway is gorgeous and is a neat place. However, the housing situation is in real flux because of the outside money/second home people, real estate crashing (but not "cheap" by most measures) and the dependence on tourism.
Best wishes.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 69,258 times
This is an interesting thread, I still live in a small town in SC and I feel very comfortable here.We have a house with nice land and if I wanna go shopping I only have to drive 10 minutes or 30 minutes to the next towns. When my husband told me he will get transfered to western colorado I looked at all the pics of the little towns and mountains and fell in love.

Now I am thinking oh this is where I wanna live for the rest of my life etc..I wonder if I will be disappointed , Maybe I am painting this picture of s.th. that doesn't exist. I am not a hiking person or doing lots of outdoors sports ,but I love to travel by car and explore nature.

I wonder if Grand Junction will be the right place for me. Ha ha and I do spend a lot of time on facebook also. I guess I won't be making lots of friends either because I am rather an introvert. But I do believe somehow that once I get there I can get a feel for if I am gonna love it and can stay or just live there for a while. Either way it will be an adventure for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
You are so right. Wives think we single women are all looking. We are NOT. I am so madly independent......there's no man who could put up with me, and I can't imagine living with anybody now -- except my two dogs. My Dad taught me to be independent -- well, he overdid it! LOL! Thank you for a totally refreshing "take" on my post.
That is so true , my husband works out of state so I go to some places by my self a lot . And boy if a husband dares to look at you with his wife by his side. Happened to me more than once . So I imagine a single woman in a new town would have it hard to be included in some things with jealous wifes watching out for their husbands. On the other hand, women, even married ones, think it is ok and love it when a man comes and talks to them in a friendly way. It is just not ok the other way around. That is just the way it is I guess. Especially in small towns. Well just stick with your dogs. What I do anyways, I got 3 and 1 stray at the moment. Who needs a man. lol

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Thank you for the information. Excessing is sorta the same as laying off except you are not being fired they are letting you go with the hopes that they could rehire you within the next seven years.(but who can wait that long to get a job in the same school district again.)

Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
Ridgeway is a cute little town, with extraordinary emphasis on little. It may be a great place for you if you can get a job, but is will be VERY different from living in Long Island. I would advise that before you decide to move there that you spend some time visiting to see if you can deal with living in such a small and comparatively isolated place.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM

10,519 posts, read 11,623,635 times
I have a pretty long thread here about living in Ridgway, you may want to search for it.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
The potential disaster that may await many people relocating to rural Colorado, especially its more desirable areas--and one that imperils many locals, as well--is this: jobs are so scarce that if you relocate here, even with a job in hand and--for whatever reason, you lose it--you very likely will not find another and you will have to move. Period. On top of that, with the current condition of the real estate market (which I think is going to continue to decline overall for years to come) if you have bought a home here anytime in the last 10 years, with, say, a 20% down payment and the rest financed, you will almost certainly be "upside down" in it financially and will take a substantial loss if and when you sell it. That can easily amount to the equivalent of 2 or 3 years salary in the local job market.

There are also legions of people in circumstances here where one person in a two-earner-necessary household finds a job, but the other never does--or has to work at some minimum-wage-no benefits employment--regardless of their skills or qualifications. That is happening so much now that it is becoming the norm, not the exception. Once again, the choice many people wind up making is to either leave the area, or to have one member of the household working away from the area. You would be amazed how many people who live in rural Colorado actually work away from home--leaving 1, 2, 3 weeks or more at at time and returing home only for a few days then leaving again--in order to make a living. Almost anyone who has lived in rural Colorado for any length of time has had to face that circumstance at one time or another. Some people I know have had to live a "split life" in two locations for years. Others tire of the arrangement pretty quickly and figure out that being able to live in one place together where there are jobs is more important.

The people who post on this forum about how great rural Colorado is to live usually fall into these categories:

1) People who don't need to rely on the local economy for a job (retirees, trust-funders, idle rich, etc.). Great for those people in that circumstance, but their opining means little to someone who actually has to make a living in the local economy.

2) People who don't live in rural Colorado and never have (that includes a bunch of self-professed "experts" who post here all the time). When it comes to knowing what rural Colorado is really like, they are, as the Western saying goes, "All hat and no cattle."

3) A select fortunate few who can live in rural Colorado and either have one of the few decent-paying stable jobs or work in a profession that is independent of the local economy (a few telecommuters, etc.).

4) A few pie-eyed dreamers who recently relocated to rural Colorado and have not been slapped upside the head by its difficult economy. Or, they are still dreaming about moving here, and use the forum as a "bully-pulpit" mostly to validate their own dream in their own mind (rosy-colored glasses syndrome).

One final note germane to Colorado teaching. The Colorado public education system, like all other state and local government in Colorado, is in severe financial distress. The notion that a teaching job is a long-term secure job in this state is now really an illusion. Colorado's fiscal situation is going to continue to deteriorate. Even if the state economy improves, Colorado's various Constitutional provisions concerning taxation and spending ensure that Colorado's fiscal situation will deteriorate, no matter what happens with the economy.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM

345 posts, read 757,994 times
You really should visit the area before hand. It is very different then Long Island- remote, small and takes a while to get to a larger town, groceries and etc. I know you are familiar with driving in snow, but mountain driving in snow is far different.
Also you would be about 5 hours from Denver, so flying to NY or to any vacation will be a trip just to get to the airport, I think it is about the same distance to Salt Lake City.

Not sure what the teaching job situation is in Ridgway but I can tell you it will be a huge pay cut from L.I. if you get the job/jobs. They may hire more locally and the new teachers may be cheaper to hire then the more experienced ones.
Up in my area they pay poorly and we use to get new teachers fresh from college for a year till they moved onto to better paying jobs. Now if they are lucky enough to get a job here they stay, even with the poor pay since jobs are hard come by.

Last edited by gmm_24; 03-26-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo- even though Ridge actually has an E I guess they like their name spelled wrong, lol

Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Windy Tappin wrote:
Is it hard to live on two teachers salaries in that town.

If by that town, you mean any town in Colorado, I'll say this: In this very poor economy, the odds of finding 2 teacher positions in the same town are pretty darn slim, and the odds of finding even one teacher position is only slightly slimmer. Not that it can't be done, but it is likley to be quite a challange at the very least. Good luck!

Please note: Teachers are among the highest paid workers in most of rural Colorado. Teaching is not considered a low paying job in this part of the world.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-26-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado