U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,389,188 times

Advertisements

Worth noting that there are nine contracted slurry bombers to cover the entire U.S. Nine.

The USFS is sourcing another 4 from AK and Canada.

One crashed in Nevada recently, killing the 2-person crew. It's a perilous job...drop the water or slurry too high and the heat vaporizes it...fly too low and risk crashing with poor vis, downdraft/updraft, etc.

The other real tragedy here is years of stupid fire suppression/logging policies and allowing development in fire prone areas. To live in the CO mountains any more is rolling the dice.

Wildfires burn so hot that a 2" stream of water at 115psi (common in wildland firefighting) vaporizes before it can even hit the leading edge of flames ... meaning that even "defensible space" is indefensible. This is what those guys are up against.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,879,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Worth noting that there are nine contracted slurry bombers to cover the entire U.S. Nine.
Yep, and I included a link to a story from the AP in one of my posts.

@ Pamela, there is a lot of misinformation going around. I am really fed up with the Denver "news" stations. Everything is sensationalized. I watched the briefing by the fire official and Sheriff yesterday morning. They specifically asked the media NOT to show homes burning out of respect for the people who have lost their homes. So what do I see when I tune in channel 7 and 9 last night? Their cameras zooming right up close at homes ablaze. SICK.
A couple who said they were camping in the area and reported the fire at 5:55 am were on tv saying that nothing had been done for 5 hours. Others came forward soon and disputed their claims:
Doug Myers, who owns property about half-a-mile from where the fire started, says he saw planes in the air by 9 a.m. and the first aerial drop by 9:30 a.m.
Other witnesses also reported seeing aircraft shortly after 9 a.m. and firefighters on the ground before that. (reported here: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120612/NEWS01/120612001/Campers-reported-High-Park-Fire-watched-smolder-hours?odyssey=mod|breaking|art3)

Last edited by Neditate; 06-12-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Yep, and I included a link to a story from the AP in one of my posts.

@ Pamela, there is a lot of misinformation going around. I am really fed up with the Denver "news" stations. Everything is sensationalized. I watched the update by the fire official and Sheriff yesterday morning. They specifically asked the media NOT to show homes burning out of respect for the people who have lost their homes. So what do I see when I tune in channel 7 and 9 last night? Their cameras zooming right up close at homes ablaze. SICK.
A couple who said they were camping in the area and reported the fire at 5:55 am were on tv saying that nothing had been done for 5 hours. Others came forward soon and disputed their claims:
Doug Myers, who owns property about half-a-mile from where the fire started, says he saw planes in the air by 9 a.m. and the first aerial drop by 9:30 a.m.
Other witnesses also reported seeing aircraft shortly after 9 a.m. and firefighters on the ground before that. (reported here: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120612/NEWS01/120612001/Campers-reported-High-Park-Fire-watched-smolder-hours?odyssey=mod|breaking|art3)
I see your point, we are at the mercy of the media.

We live southeast from the fire, about 200 miles. My opinions are based on a combination of my own former firefighter/EMT experience and media reports. And yes, my experience was urban structure fires.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,389,188 times
Many folks don't realize that mountain fire agencies are largely volunteer staffed. Firefighters get the calls/pages at home, then have to drive to their 'station' where they then have to run through mandatory gear & apparatus checks, validate available personnel, get briefed/organized, and go. And many small mountain depts are not equipped & trained for interior search and rescue.

The response times are going to be quite a bit longer than a 24/7 fully-staffed firehouse in an urban setting where a crew is geared up on the rig and rolling out in well under 5 minutes.

9News could have used better judgement...the media just loves sensationalism and dry-humping tragedies.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:58 PM

8,318 posts, read 23,744,735 times
People need to get over the idea that there is any real "journalism" going on in the television media in Colorado, or anywhere else in the U.S. It's all about sensationalism, young and clueless (but physically attractive) talking heads, and ratings. Most of these TV "newspeople" are as dumb as a bucket of rocks, and too in a hurry or too lazy to get any substantial background or knowledge before blatting out a bunch of blather on a story. The few "real" journalists left--probably because they are older and less "attractive" to a younger and often largely clueless audience--increasingly get relegated to the "B" team until they get put out to pasture. I got particularly amused on the High Park fire story when one of the stations ran the same 3-day old footage as the background for every supposed "up-to-the-minute" fire update they gave for at least a day. Thank God for live internet radio feeds from Fort Collins Fire/EMS and a lot of publicly posted photos on sites like Flickr to give a realistic picture of what is going on up at the fire.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM

15,368 posts, read 18,542,536 times
Am watching Fox31 news and they just reported the latest stats:

46,600 acres burned
10% containment
700 firefighters on the scene with a few hundred more on the way.

Today's forecast calls for 20 to 25 m.p.h. winds with the humidity at 8 to 12%

Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,009,759 times
Default WildFire

Any first hand info about the fire? I read about it yesterday. So Sad. I love the area around Rist and Poudre.
It's really close to the Res. now, right?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,019,829 times
Those firefighters are facing an almost impossible task against insurmountable odds yet they always manage to win.

I heard that Peterson AFB has C-130's ready and waiting to go but the Forest Service can't call them in due to their contractual obligations with private companies.

To me, this is just beyond belief. One would think that with a fire of this magnitude, all available resources would be called in to assist. One of my "adopted" sons is in the Air Force and he tells me that those planes are waiting specifically for the High Park fire.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

1,926 posts, read 3,879,714 times
I watched the briefing this morning. There is going to be another this afternoon at 3:00 for citizens, 3:30 for media. Here is the latest:
There are 1000 personnel working the fire along with 22 aircraft.
Colorado-Wyoming National Guard providing 50 military police to work the roadblocks under the direction of the Sheriff's office.

Colorado Division of Emergency Management: High Park Fire Update: June 13 at 10:29 AM (#HighParkFire)

Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM

3,296 posts, read 7,709,198 times
I have a friend who lives in FC and one in Loveland, and both have posted pics and status updates on Facebook saying the air quality is horrible right now. One friend, who lives in the Campus West neighborhood said burning embers and ash are falling from the sky. Sounds absolutely horrible! I also read that Pingree Park was evacuated yesterday, which makes me sad. I hope the fire spares the mountain campus. I have many fond memories of my summer spent up there while in Forestry school.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: OBE after merging the threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado