U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,912,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Oh but Honey, don't you realize that wildfires are "natural"? It doesn't matter to those dipshidiot tree huggers that many of these devastating fires could be avoided by proper forest management and selective culling of trees.
That may start changing with all their homes being put in danger, especially if they live around Fort Collins like I do.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 PM

673 posts, read 1,554,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledjar View Post
follow them on facebook, they've been posting weather or not they've burned down almost daily.

Mishawaka Facebook Page

Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 AM

2,788 posts, read 6,708,237 times
Mike, that Propane story is just a rumor, fire chief says it was started by lightning. Although i suppose anything is possible with them Park County types

Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,022,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
That may start changing with all their homes being put in danger, especially if they live around Fort Collins like I do.
One can only hope it brings them to their senses.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,465,095 times
We were up at Rampart yesterday and saw this new fire blow up. Happened really fast. One minute blue sky, the next smoke billowing to the southeast. I wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by some idiot shooting a propane tank.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM

8,864 posts, read 9,875,488 times
Good article in the GJ paper today about the Olathe crop duster who helped with the Cedaredge fire last week. The local fire chief said if the guy hadn't volunteered to drop water from his plane, that fire would still be burning and on Grand Mesa by now. The local boy who was burned trying to warn neighbors is back home.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM

8,318 posts, read 23,752,451 times
I just returned from another of my regular sojourns around southern Colorado. I do like that my work allows me to do that as a matter of course. Unfortunately, the weather/fire situation remains grim. I can safely say now that it appears that the Southwest Monsoon is NOT going to arrive early this summer, which means that fire danger is highly likely to remain extreme at least until the end of June, if not longer. The weather in southern Colorado has been abnormally warm (as it has been for many months now) and brutally dry--with humidity into the single digits in afternoon even in the higher elevations. Amazingly, there is still some green grass around here and there, but soil moisture is now essentially non-existent. The weather forecasts very dry, hot, and windy conditions throughout southern Colorado for around another week, at least. The Sand Creek fire, which I personally got a look at, is essentially being allowed to burn--protection of a few second homes, etc. being about all that is being done. The good news is that it is, for the most part, behaving like a good underbrush-cleaning fire that is not crowning much. The bad news is that the air quality from around Pagosa Springs west to Bayfield can be horrendous, especially in the Piedra River valley. The local consensus is that the Sand Creek fire will burn until (or if) the Southwest Monsoon shows up or until the snow flies. I talked to some folks who were "up close and personal" to the fire west of Fort Collins--it is likely to do the same--burn until the snow flies.

I had a chance to talk to a Forest Service firefighter. His characterization of the fire season this year in Colorado and New Mexico can be summed up in this analogy: Like being in charge of small hospital used to treating a relatively small number of patients at a time when the whole town is infected with cholera. Who gets treated? The richest and most politically powerful families in town? The people who are the sickest? The people with the best chance to survive? The ones who got sick first, until the resources are exhausted, then it's everybody for himself? Or by pulling straws? Bottom line--only a small portion of the problem can likely be treated, so hard decisions will be made about what gets treated and what doesn't.

Finally, just to add insult to injury, a huge infestation of tent caterpillars along the Colorado/New Mexico border has essentially denuded tens of thousands of acres of aspen of their leaves. This kind of infestation, relatively rare, usually only lasts until early to mid-July, but the trees may or may not leaf out again this year with the current drought. If the infestation returns next year, again, relatively rare, those aspen groves may be killed.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,297,923 times
I drove through Lake George earlier this evening, didn't see a lot of smoke, but there's enough there to make the eyes sting.

How are conditions in Fort Collins? Based on the maps it looks like the fire been moving west. Has that eased up the smoke in Fort Collins?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM

8,864 posts, read 9,875,488 times
Default Smoke from Nevada fire

Yesterday evening the sky here was brown and the air smelled of smoke, it's hazy today.

I learned the smoke along the western slope is from a large fire in Ely, Nevada. The howling westerly winds are carrying it this far east.

Amazing.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: There, I fixed that for ya by correcting the error.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,904,582 times
I was wondering where that smoke was from too. I thought maybe it was from the Pagosa Spr fire, as we had winds from the south for a while.

I'm surprised that we haven't had a fire in the Bookcliffs or on the Uncompahgre Plateau yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado