U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,326,884 times

Advertisements

This is the fire near Ely, NV.

North Schell Fire

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM

11,026 posts, read 12,364,374 times
I'm getting dizzy!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Default Oops

Group: Yesterday, while performing a "thread merge" function, I forgot to verify which forum was the correct destination forum for the combined thread. This resulted in the thread ending up in the Fort Collins sub-forum until I learned of the error today and moved it back to the main COLO forum where it belongs.

In the future, if something doesn't make sense, contact me via DM rather than posting in the thread. Or report it to the other COLO mods by clicking on the triangular icon and stating the case.

Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,103,580 times
Wow, 58,000 acre fire in Northern Colorado, west of Fort Collins! Destroyed over 100 homes.

Stay safe!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:39 PM

But Mike, it's more fun to be confused and complain in public!

Anyway, thanks for putting this back.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,745,548 times
Default Sometimes I hate being right . . .

Check posts #113, #117, #120 from this thread, dated in August and September of last year; Millions of dead trees in the Colorado Mountains

Particularly this sentence:

Quote:
It's hard to predict what may happen this winter, but there are plenty of dead trees to fuel massive fires if the right combination of wind and dry weather comes together with an ignition source.
And, this is a quote from a post that I made in 2010. What I didn't know then was that the La Niña event I predicted for 2010-2011 would persist and strengthen into 2012.

Quote:
If the La Niña does cause an abnormally dry and warm winter in the area of central or northern Colorado devastated by the pine beetle, well, the danger of very huge and uncontrollable fires in all of that dead lodgepole will be near 100%.
And, how 'bout what I said back in 2009, in light of what is going on right this very minute?

#50 in this thread: Millions of dead trees in the Colorado Mountains

No one should be shocked or surprised about what is happening this summer. A whole lot of people, including me, have been predicting this for years. And, the response has been pretty much what I expected: US Forest Service resources being used largely to protect a lot of private structures located where they probably should have never been permitted to be built, a lot of firefighters (both Forest Service and local) put out in harm's way to protect that stuff, a huge bill for all of that plopped upon the taxpayers, and--at the end of day--pretty limited to non-existent effectiveness of any of it to stop huge fires from doing what they are going to do. I applaud the heroism of the firefighters tasked to try to stop these fires, but it is sad that they and the resources dedicated to them couldn't have been used to properly manage the forests to develop healthier forests and less fire-prone conditions within them.

If there is one good thing that might come from this (but, sadly, experience shows that it usually doesn't), it would be that people will recognize that Colorado forests are not the "fireproof" forests that many people were led to believe, and that placing man-made structures in the middle of them is, indeed, a pretty risky proposition--especially given the diseased and overgrown condition of the forests and the seemingly persistent drought conditions that are now plaguing them. Maybe, too, insurers, local planning officials, local fire agencies, etc. will recognize that blithely allowing structures to be built in tinderboxes is a financially and fiscally irresponsible idea for which they, as much as the property owner, wind up "holding the bag" for when a fire occurs.

Last edited by jazzlover; 06-19-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
But Mike, it's more fun to be confused and complain in public!

Anyway, thanks for putting this back.
Jim, at least I know that people ARE paying attention....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM

A new fire reported near Craig.

All this DRY brush and heat, I'm glad the Governator banned fireworks, but I think he should ban sales. Kinda dumb to be able to buy fireworks but illegal to use them.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM

16,488 posts, read 20,871,024 times
Jim 9251 is right. Started as 2 acres at 6 p.m. last night, has blown to nearly 2000 acres this morning according to GJ news. It's close to a newer cluster of homes (Westboro subdivision) which is just off U.S. 40-mm #79. According to the Craig Daily Press another small fire is near Baggs, Wyoming, which is right at the Wyoming/Colorado border, maybe 10 miles north of Craig.

By the way, this addition has nothing to do with the thread topic but I feel it should be note. In yesterday's Denver Post, there was a story about the city of Longmont deciding to sell fireworks. It was just a few days ago, an announcement came from Governor Hickenlooper by executive order banning the private use of fireworks throughout Colorado.

I thought Longmont was part of Colorado. I also thought an executive order was something that needed to be observed. Silly me for thinking that way.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-20-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,745,548 times
The table is being set for another round of lightning ignitions in the next week. A weak surge of moisture is heading for Colorado--just enough to trigger some high-base thunderstorms--lots of lightning and little rain. That is going to be followed by another round of hot temperatures and high winds. Perfect fire weather. I really feel sorry for the Forest Service folks. They are in a no-win situation. They simply do not have the resources to fight every fire that ignites, so they will have to let some fires go and have inadequate resources to fight others. When people's precious recreation and trophy homes get burnt as a result, there will be no end of blaming and hate directed at the Forest Service people--when, in most cases, it is the people's own fault for building where they did. If there is any good news in this, it is that Mother Nature is taking care of the century of fuel buildup in a whole lot of places. In the long run, that is good news for the forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or