U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by addfellow View Post
Hi all....rest assured that there are a lot of us here in Michigan who have you all in our thoughts. Too bad some of that unbelievable rain in FLA can't be diverted west. We were curious if people on the ground in CO would suggest postponing our trip. We had planned on flying into Denver and then using Vail as our jumping off point for numerous day trips in the area. Thanks folks.
Thank you. I think your trip will be fine, but really, one never knows where the next fire will be. All these recent fires have been just west of the Front Range cities, not in the central mountains. There probably will be NO fireworks on the 4th of July.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,855,591 times
I think it should be clear now that we are engulfed in a once-in-a-century drought/fire event. I've mentioned numerous times about the "fire year" of 1879 when gigantic acreages of southern Colorado were scoured by forest fires. At that time, that part of Colorado was very sparsely settled. It appears that this year could rival 1879 for large and severe fires, but we have built a whole lot of stuff--a lot of it indefensible--since that time.

The truly frightening part is that most of the mountain areas of Colorado remain tinder dry and ready to ignite. If any more fires ignite, there are essentially no more major resources available to fight them. I hope there is a very serious and frank discussion in the aftermath of this about what "defensible" means--I think these fires have redefined what that means.

My prayers are with the people whose lives and property are imperiled and with the firefighters who are bravely risking their lives at this very moment.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I think it should be clear now that we are engulfed in a once-in-a-century drought/fire event. I've mentioned numerous times about the "fire year" of 1879 when gigantic acreages of southern Colorado were scoured by forest fires. At that time, that part of Colorado was very sparsely settled. It appears that this year could rival 1879 for large and severe fires, but we have built a whole lot of stuff--a lot of it indefensible--since that time.

The truly frightening part is that most of the mountain areas of Colorado remain tinder dry and ready to ignite. If any more fires ignite, there are essentially no more major resources available to fight them. I hope there is a very serious and frank discussion in the aftermath of this about what "defensible" means--I think these fires have redefined what that means.

My prayers are with the people whose lives and property are imperiled and with the firefighters who are bravely risking their lives at this very moment.
Absolutely! I'm watching Foxnews31, it's the only news we get from Denver here in the Grand Junction area. I am stunned by what's happening on the front range tonight.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 PM

2,020 posts, read 4,338,090 times
Quote:
my prayers are with the people whose lives and property are imperiled and with the firefighters who are bravely risking their lives at this very moment.
+ 1,000,000

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM

14,578 posts, read 22,421,861 times
The 2002 fires alone about busted the State of Colorado's resources for years to come. Furlows and pay cuts and layoffs and withheld raises were the result for how many years after that?

This is so much worse than that Hayman fire with respect to burned structures, right? The High Park Fire has burned some 257 structures? What's going on in the West Springs area now is devastating to some of the nicest homes in Colorado.

Quote:
Ditto that right there.

Flashforward to Jazz; my wife won't even let me listen to the Fire/EMS stuff. She can't handle the candid nature of it. We have been watching channel 5 for several hours now though.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-26-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM

One of the marvelous things about the internet is that one can listen to the Fire/EMS radio feed from Colorado Springs. What you hear is the calm heroism of these firefighters working against gigantic odds. After all of this is over, I hope all of those folks will be recognized for their heroism literally under fire.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM

11,091 posts, read 12,475,857 times
Quote:

Watching the fireline grow into Colorado Springs on the news leaves me speechless. I've seen a lot of things in my life, but nothing like this.

My prayers are with everyone on the front range tonight.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM

22 posts, read 44,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
addfellow, thanks for the good thoughts from Michigan.

This question has been showing up in this and other threads. If you were my friends or family, I would encourage you to postpone your visit. It is being reported that some of the active fires could continue for weeks and months, and the situation is highly unpredictable. Even if you are in an area with no active wildland fires, you could be subjected to transportation delays or "red flag" health alerts brought about by smoke and ash. And, as I noted in another post, nothing ruins a summer vacation like being evacuated in the middle of the night from a campground or hotel. What is going on now is going to ripple out through Colorado's tourism sector and many businesses will be facing serious economic repercussions. I'm just one voice; I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.
My wife & I appreciate your advice, Bovine...we're very much of 2 minds. On the one hand, the last thing a state in chaos needs is another couple of clueless tourists fumbling around, but on the other hand, as you point out, the state's economy is poised to take a serious hit and we'd feel lousy spending our vacation budget elsewhere. But I learned a lesson after "hanging out to see what happens" in downtown Manhattan on the morning of 9/11: emergency situations are not spectator sports. Sadly, we may have to wait for our first-ever glimpse of that amazing part of the world that you all are lucky enough to live in. Stay safe, my friend.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Watching the fireline grow into Colorado Springs on the news leaves me speechless. I've seen a lot of things in my life, but nothing like this.

My prayers are with everyone on the front range tonight.
I've spent a lot of time in the areas burned by the 1879 fires in southern Colorado. I've tried to visualize what those fires must have been like--seeing areas that have still not regrown trees 133 years later. I think the images from this summer give an excellent visual of it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,265,645 times
What is really tragic is that the fire in Colorado Springs may be arson. When the person or persons are caught; I would love to be on that jury. 5000 years rotting in jail; that seems too good. How can there be such evil? We are all on this planet together.

Praying for the people that lost their homes; praying for the tireless fire fighters. Praying for the people calling the shots...........whew, this is one big tragic mess. When the wind came roaring through town this afternoon, all bets were off.

Take care everyone; be safe; don't wait for orders to leave; if you don't feel comfortable......just go. That is our plan.

Last edited by mollygee; 06-26-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or