U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 PM

84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times

Advertisements

The Flagstaff fire was caused by lightning.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
I also wonder why we can't stop this with all of the technology we have. But fire has incredible force. I don't think there is anyway to stop it until mother nature helps us out.

It will be interesting if/once the fire gets to the Air Force Academy's buildings. Surely they will bring out everything the US government has. Hell, the 8 MAFF's that are in the entire country say "US AIR FORCE" on them.

Anyone surprised the major news networks aren't showing this live? I would have thought Anderson Cooper would be broadcoasting live by now.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,280 times
Does anyone that is educated on the current conditions of the waldo canyon fire care to speculate on whether or not the fire is capable of crossing I25? We are in the black forest and are packing our belongings and taking photos of our belongings for insurance purposes just in case.

We are incredibly proud of the men and women both in the local/federal government and firefighters on the front lines dealing with the monstrousity.

Fire retardant has yet to be proven effective, though has been proven quite toxic to wildlife. No one likes an armchair quarterback.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 AM

44 posts, read 68,661 times
I live on Vickers and Academy and spent the night watching all those houses that the tv stations showed burn right from my apartment complex. I didn't have to watch tv-I had a first hand viewing experience.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 AM

44 posts, read 68,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BForestW View Post
Does anyone that is educated on the current conditions of the waldo canyon fire care to speculate on whether or not the fire is capable of crossing I25? We are in the black forest and are packing our belongings and taking photos of our belongings for insurance purposes just in case.

We are incredibly proud of the men and women both in the local/federal government and firefighters on the front lines dealing with the monstrousity.

Fire retardant has yet to be proven effective, though has been proven quite toxic to wildlife. No one likes an armchair quarterback.

Someone mentioned that some fire in San Diego crossed I-5 a few years back so who knows. I live really close to the fire and can see it burning from my apartment complex and I hope and pray it doesn't cross the interstate.

But taking pics of your belongings is a great idea.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 AM

we figure its a matter of the wind carrying the hot embers to the east side of 25, It should be wide enough to create a solid defensible space otherwise.

The military hasn't stepped in completely due to federal law stating all local and state resources must be exhausted first as well as fblm, before the military can fully aid and assist. This was stated during a live news conference earlier. Dropping water and fire retardant is useless with a blaze this big, would need an inland hurricane to extinguish it.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
We are anxious in Woodland Park, because no one is mentioning if the fire is moving NW or it's holding near Eagle Lake Camp. Amazing how fast this fire can move. We have everything important in the garage ready to load up in our cars.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Poker, go to springsgov.com for a map of the evacuation zone. Isn't 24 closed? I would getout now if I were you, winds will be shifting your way for a little while tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 AM

76 posts, read 200,324 times
My husband flew in to DIA today from San Diego...several firefighters on his flight coming in to assist with the fires.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 AM

76 posts, read 200,324 times
Lived in Ventura County during one of our many fires...the fire jumped the 118 freeway. The fire started around 1:30pm on the furthest east side of the city and by morning it had spread throughout the valley to create a "U" shape. We were at the bottom of the "U" and evacuated ourselves. Looking back at training reports which stated where they were weak...one area was lack of communication, inaccurate evacuation notices, etc. If your gut tells you to pack...pack it up and be ready!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or