U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM

15,378 posts, read 18,553,246 times

Advertisements

People, I know tempers are short here, but we are not going to get into name calling on this thread. Or this forum. Or any other forum.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM

7,725 posts, read 15,604,834 times
HH wrote: CosmicWizard! How bad was the wind at your house?

I don'tknow....I slept thru it!

Jazzlover: I'm inclined to agree with your assertion that many homes in the Colorado foothills and mountains are risky ventures that ought to be the financial responsibility of the individual homeowner, and not subsidized by other insurance premium payers. Now even though they may have exercised poor judgement is building their homes in a fire prone area, my heart goes out to them, and I sincerely hope that their losses will be covered by their homeowners insurance. Watching the heartache of those involved in this devastating event, my financially oriented beliefs are taking a back seat to my humanity oriented beliefs.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-27-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM

8,318 posts, read 23,752,451 times
I agree, Cosmic. What I hope is that we learn from the mistakes that were made. Unfortunately, California and other states where fire is a much more regular visitor than it is to Colorado do not paint an optimistic picture. People just seem to keep making the same mistakes over and over again--with the same ultimate result. I hope we Coloradans are smarter than that.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM

319 posts, read 579,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Watching the news with tears in my eyes and a prayer in my heart.
My tears, on the other hand, were spilling out down my face and onto my keyboard. If only tears and prayers were rain...

Enough already with the political diatribes. This is not the time.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM

219 posts, read 240,701 times
I was in Colorado last week and the guy in the car in front of me was dropping his cigarette ashes out of his window. Please- don't be an idiot.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,166,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Thanks for the link. A flat tire, a blowout, a spark, an inferno. Can happen anywhere now, anytime.
When I was living in California and putting up with fires it seemed to be catalytic convertors that started alot of wildfires.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

486 posts, read 1,158,094 times
Head's up Colorado:

FREMONT COUNTY, Colo. -
Authorities are investigating a suspicious grass fire that was spotted by passing motorists at 8:30 pm Monday along County Road 28 in the Copper Gulch area west of Canon City.
Firefighters from Deer Mountain Fire Department assisted in extinguishing the fire that was approximately 50 feet by 20 feet is size and about 40 feet off of the roadway.
Witnesses reported seeing a white male in his early 20's, approximately 6', 200 lbs, shaved head (appeared to have blond hair), short goatee, wearing a white tee shirt, blue jeans and white tennis shoes walking away from the fire.
The male, who refused to help witnesses who asked for assistance in putting the fire out, quickly left the area in a 90's silver 4 door Toyota Camry. The male's involvement in the fire is unknown at this time but he is considered a person of interest.
Anyone with information on the fire or the above described individual is asked to call the Fremont County Sheriff's dispatch at 719-784-3411.

Fremont County authorities look for possible arson suspect | News - Home

Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,341,911 times
I just began a post over in Colorado Springs about an article I just caught online about how they're gonna evacuate Colorado springs becuz the fire has gotten so close... guess I should have come to this general place first. Anyhow, any info folks? Good grief, are we going to lose beautiful Colorado??? What a nightmare! And the animals, any word on how they're doing? Looks like they could drench the town, but that's no good. They build those wide ditches and work with that, but how is the wind up there right now? I'm not anywhere near Colorado, but I really feel for those people up there, for the animals, and for the absolutely beautiful countryside. Couldn't be worse than if a volcano had erupted. Well, to all who are struggling there, I hope eventually this will one day be a very bad dream. And where in the world are the Colo Springs people going to go? What does one take with them? Oh, if I lost my stuff, I'd have a nervous breakdown. GG

Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,465,095 times
The last time I saw anything like this is when I was in Montana and Mt St Hellens exploded. 6" of ash everywhere and no place to run.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM

76 posts, read 184,191 times
Update from DougCo:

Pre-evacuation orders for residents living in southwestern portion of Douglas County

Area of Interest: S. County Line to Noe Rd. – Spruce Mountain Rd to Rampart Range Rd.

This is Douglas County Regional 9-1-1 with a pre-evacuation warning. The Waldo Canyon fire burning in El Paso County is expanding and poses a threat to residents of southwestern Douglas County. The specific area included in this pre-evacuation warning is bounded by the Palmer Divide Road on the south, Noe Road on the north, Spruce Mountain on the east, and Rampart Range Rd.on the west.

Residents in the affected area need to make immediate plans for the evacuation and care of family members and animals. The Douglas County Fairgrounds in Castle Rock can accommodate evacuees and large animals should an evacuation become necessary. Residents are urged to gather important documents, medications, and important personal effects so that they will be immediately available should conditions deteriorate.

Please monitor local news channels for fire updates. If the fire comes dangerously close to your area, an evacuation order will be sent to this same telephone number. However, residents must maintain situational awareness. If you are in danger, DO NOT WAIT for an evacuation order. Take the initiative to leave immediately if local conditions warrant such action.

Please refrain from calling 9-1-1 unless you have an actual emergency. The Douglas County website Douglas County Government, Colorado | Official Web site and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office website, Douglas County Sheriff | Douglas County, Colorado | Official Website will be updated as more information becomes available.

This is a pre-evacuation warning . If an evacuation is necessary, residents will need to evacuate to the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado