U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM

20,177 posts, read 34,528,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The American Red Cross will search for missing people, contact your local chapter.
A great piece of advice during this difficult time for all...

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM

85,025 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I have been a harsh critic of forest management practices and often lacking to non-existent planning and zoning that could had helped to prevent or a least reduce the impacts of the current forest fire catastrophe in Colorado. All of that said, this year is a once-in-a-century drought and fire event that, in many places, is proving that nature can overwhelm even the best fire mitigation plans, as well as overwhelm the most vigorous firefighting effort that can be mounted. I am completely convinced that the fire management people and all of the firefighters working under them--from local agencies all the way to the Federal government--are doing everything they can to meet this challenge. However, I don't think that any of those fire management folks contemplated that they would confront a multi-front war against multiple major and dangerous fires occurring at one time across such a huge geographical area. The record of drought in Colorado shows that drought typically does not cover the entire state at a magnitude that we are seeing now. Similarly, fire danger is seldom elevated to the extreme category in virtually the entire state at once. But, that is what we have this year.

As to the gravity of the present situation, it is bad. And we may yet face the most pervasive danger: that would be if a major "megafire" started in the area of tens of thousands of acres of dead and dying lodgepole forest in Grand and Summit Counties. Though the loss of structures there could be very significant, the huge risk is that such a fire could effectively cripple the watershed for about half of metro Denver's water supply--and that impact could last for a year or more. If such a fire were to ignite in conditions similar to those that occurred in Colorado Springs yesterday, probably nothing less than God Almighty himself could stop it.

Were I the federal managers of the public lands (Forest Service, BLM, etc.), I would be strongly considering placing full Stage III restrictions (full public land closure) across all public lands of Colorado until the fire danger eases. This is obviously a tough call for the public land agencies to make because public land closures have a devastating effect on thousands of tourist-dependent businesses in Colorado (and I know a lot of people who own or work in those businesses), but, at this point, the fire danger is so extreme and firefighting resources are so thinly stretched that closure may be only alternative available to at least eliminate most of the possibility of a human-caused ignition. (This may be crucial in the next week, as there are always some idiots igniting fireworks on the public lands over the 4th of July holiday.) Unfortunately, nature is going a pretty good job of lighting fires without any help from we humans.

If there is anything positive about the current situation, I think that it is that it will dispel the notion among many that Colorado is somehow "immune" to major natural disasters and the misguided idea that urbanized metro areas are somehow exempt from the rules of nature.
Still don't know where you got that idea! I don't know of anyone who ever expressed such a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
HH wrote: CosmicWizard! How bad was the wind at your house?

I don'tknow....I slept thru it!

Jazzlover: I'm inclined to agree with your assertion that many homes in the Colorado foothills and mountains are risky ventures that ought to be the financial responsibility of the individual homeowner, and not subsidized by other insurance premium payers. Now even though they may have exercised poor judgement is building their homes in a fire prone area, my heart goes out to them, and I sincerely hope that their losses will be covered by their homeowners insurance. Watching the heartache of those involved in this devastating event, my financially oriented beliefs are taking a back seat to my humanity oriented beliefs.
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
We had a family reunion near Boulder ending last Sunday morning. The first three days we didnt see signs of or smell smoke from the fires but on the last day, Sunday morning, we could smell smoke as we were preparing to leave Boulder. I assumed the wind had just changed and we impacted by the fire near Fort Collins. Now it appears it was the much closer new fire near Boulder. We were located at Chautauqua on the SW side of Boulder I beleive, how close is that to where the Boulder fire area?
No, the Boulder fire just started yesterday. They said it smelled so smoky on Sunday b/c the wind was still.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM

5,959 posts, read 7,508,909 times
No, the Boulder fire just started yesterday. They said it smelled so smoky on Sunday b/c the wind was still.[/quote]

Thanks, thought so or read so after I posted that one. Wondered if we were smelling the smoke from the ft collins fire which a resident told me had flared some on the weekend.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,279,821 times
Missing persons in disaster:

Here is the link for the American Red Cross tracing service, for finding missing persons as a result of natural disasters (and war):

Restoring Family Links

If someone you know is missing, I think a family member has to contact them, if you can locate one. But they may be able to help if there are no known family members.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,187,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks, thought so or read so after I posted that one. Wondered if we were smelling the smoke from the ft collins fire which a resident told me had flared some on the weekend.
There was also a fire in Estes Park over the weekend that burned 22 homes. Could have been the smoke you smelled.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM

5,959 posts, read 7,508,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
There was also a fire in Estes Park over the weekend that burned 22 homes. Could have been the smoke you smelled.
Might well have been, I missed the timing on that one. Lightning started it or dont they have a theory? I was in Estes on Thursday and not more than 30 miles away

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,842,932 times
Wink Possible cause of Estes Park fire

It seems the Saturday fire in Estes Park began from the incoming electrical service to one residence, which in rubbing against a tree or something other lost their insulation, and then sparked.

This is hearsay, but apparently the homeowner almost immediately noticed and reported this. But was unable to contain a fire which seems to have spread very quickly.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,842,932 times
Wink Fire updates

"There is heartbreak, she said, as people at the shelter spend time combing the Internet on library-provided computers for photos that may show whether or not their home survived." [1]

This particular reference has periodic updates on the Waldo Fire and its effects (refresh for new updates. Although from day to day one may have to return to the main page to find the next link to these updates).

Something I've noticed is that real time news on these Colorado wildfires is difficult to come by. There are various sources, such as The Denver Post and the network television stations, but none of them is definitive.

Many people, particularly those most affected, surely wish accurate and timely information—which in many cases is simply not available. To a far greater extent it could be, but is not.

1) 'Waldo Canyon Fire update,' Colorado Springs Gazette
Update/Source: 200-300 homes lost | county, services, fire - WALDO CANYON FIRE - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 AM

319 posts, read 620,831 times
Thanks, Idunn. Don't know how I missed this link, but glad to find it.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,336,174 times
The Colorado Springs Fire Department Academy class of 2012 was supposed to graduate tomorrow, instead they're out working Waldo.

Congratulations and thank you to all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or