U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 AM

5,986 posts, read 4,600,524 times

Advertisements

Update: Our friend was located. She safely evacuated, but her phone was dead so it was a while before she started contacting people. She's not very internet savvy, so didn't update anyone that way. But she's good, and I'm glad to hear it.

And I tell you something...listening to the fire/ems scanner traffic and hearing them declare a house "probably unsavable" as fire makes a run on a street of homes, because there is too much brush around it...it makes you rethink your landscaping decisions a little. Xeriscaping is looking better and better to me...I wanna plant rocks. Rocks don't burn.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM

18 posts, read 42,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Update: Our friend was located. She safely evacuated, but her phone was dead so it was a while before she started contacting people. She's not very internet savvy, so didn't update anyone that way. But she's good, and I'm glad to hear it.

And I tell you something...listening to the fire/ems scanner traffic and hearing them declare a house "probably unsavable" as fire makes a run on a street of homes, because there is too much brush around it...it makes you rethink your landscaping decisions a little. Xeriscaping is looking better and better to me...I wanna plant rocks. Rocks don't burn.
So great about your friend!

Xeriscaping is looking pretty good. I would also imagine insurance companies will really tighten up their guidelines for defensible space around properties.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM

8,880 posts, read 9,899,074 times
Another fire on the western slope:

700 acre Pine Ridge Fire lightning-caused | News - Home

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,713,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
...because there is too much brush around it...it makes you rethink your landscaping decisions a little. Xeriscaping is looking better and better to me...I wanna plant rocks. Rocks don't burn.
I don't know if this is the case of the Pikes Peak region, but it is very prevalent of the Wet Mountain area from Beulah to San Isabel, Rye, Colorado City and throughout the Greenhorn Mountain area... and that's an indigenous scrub oak underbrush. Many Coniferous trees, Junipers, and this scrub oak grows naturally around here and would have to be removed in certain areas of your property or in open land to mitigate it.

That's my understanding anyway.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,027,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't know if this is the case of the Pikes Peak region, but it is very prevalent of the Wet Mountain area from Beulah to San Isabel, Rye, Colorado City and throughout the Greenhorn Mountain area... and that's an indigenous scrub oak underbrush. Many Coniferous trees, Junipers, and this scrub oak grows naturally around here and would have to be removed in certain areas of your property or in open land to mitigate it.

That's my understanding anyway.
I went up to San Isabel yesterday.

There are so many dead trees lying around along with very dense underbrush. It's just another disaster waiting to happen.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Well if you don't clean up the undergrowth and low-lying fuels, God will. The steeper the slopes are and the lower the humidity is, the quicker an undergrowth fire becomes a crown fire.

The cleaning up of our forests alone could/should become a local and booming industry... imo. Could you imagine? Supply jobs to folks, utilize the materials/fuels you clean out, and save the forest from needless "Natural" burning.

So, did you go to the lodge to eat? Is that poor lake going dry again? Did you check out Bishop's Castle? I bet that guy has an opinion on this. Oh, and btw... I doubt his castle will go up anytime soon. Maybe he's not so crazy after all.

Here's a look at some of the current fires in Colorado now or as of a few day ago;

Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Default fireworks

Something else is on my mind about this fire season with July looming. I personally would like to offer my opinion of the 4th of July celebrations around here. I think that fireworks are similar to candy during Halloween... they're unnecessary.

I think that consumers are pushed and prodded to spend their otherwise tight resources on these worthless and ridiculous frivolties. Let's cut back on the candy and let's put a stop to the burning of fireworks... at least in this state for this one season.

It is disgusting to me that my town has no plan to stop its fireworks display. I'm sure the fireworks are already purchased and resources put into place for fire protection... but what a waste. Why not just have one huge water fight... a wet t-shirt contest if you must.

What's even worse is the folks who obtain the illegal Roman/California Candles that shoot off into the air on a dry and hot and sometimes windy July night. There are usually so many going off in Pueblo County that there's no way to police it all... short of the community vigilantly keeping guard.

I was disgusted to see Black Cat stands still setting up in the Pueblo area. I saw one on the southwest side and heard of another on the Mesa. It seems that it should be both illegal to buy... but also to sell in this time... imo of course.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 PM

2,488 posts, read 5,516,987 times
Quote:
Something else is on my mind about this fire season with July looming. I personally would like to offer my opinion of the 4th of July celebrations around here. I think that fireworks are similar to candy during Halloween... they're unnecessary.
. . .
It is disgusting to me that my town has no plan to stop its fireworks display. I'm sure the fireworks are already purchased and resources put into place for fire protection...
Many communities are on the same page you are, and many more are still deciding:

Colorado commercial fireworks displays a rarity for 2012 July 4 events (from the Denver Post)
Quote:
More than 30 cities, towns and municipalities had canceled or postponed planned public fireworks shows as of late Wednesday afternoon, including Boulder, Littleton, Fort Collins, Golden, Aspen, Durango and all of Douglas and Jefferson counties. Colorado Springs canceled nine commercial displays scheduled for between July 1 and July 6.

Although Aurora had received permission to continue with its fireworks display, the Arapahoe County Sheriff and the city decided Wednesday to eliminate the fireworks portion of the town's Fourth of July event anyway, "due to the severe weather conditions affecting Colorado and the unprecedented wildfire season," according to an announcement on the city website.
. . .
Frisco held out longer than most other mountain towns, as Breckenridge, Dillon, Copper Mountain and Keystone Resort all canceled firework displays early on. But as of Wednesday, Frisco was also a no-go. . .

Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 PM

8,880 posts, read 9,899,074 times
Fireworks shows in Montrose, Telluride and Ouray cancelled.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:28 PM

4,267 posts, read 4,792,523 times
Quote:

I think that consumers are pushed and prodded to spend their otherwise tight resources on these worthless and ridiculous frivolties. Let's cut back on the candy and let's put a stop to the burning of fireworks... at least in this state for this one season.

It is disgusting to me that my town has no plan to stop its fireworks display. I'm sure the fireworks are already purchased and resources put into place for fire protection... but what a waste. Why not just have one huge water fight... a wet t-shirt contest if you must.

What's even worse is the folks who obtain the illegal Roman/California Candles that shoot off into the air on a dry and hot and sometimes windy July night. There are usually so many going off in Pueblo County that there's no way to police it all... short of the community vigilantly keeping guard.

I was disgusted to see Black Cat stands still setting up in the Pueblo area. I saw one on the southwest side and heard of another on the Mesa. It seems that it should be both illegal to buy... but also to sell in this time... imo of course.
I love the idea of a huge community water fight but please save my eyes from a community wet t-shirt contest. That would be downright frightening around here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado