Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Fireworks shows in Montrose, Telluride and Ouray cancelled.
Ditto, Louisville.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Fireworks shows in Montrose, Telluride and Ouray cancelled.
Gateway also cancelled their fireworks. They were going to have them on Sunday eve at the Gateway Canyons Resort.

We went to see them last year and they were pretty good and there was only a couple hundred people there.

I think Grand Junction is still having theirs right in town at Lincoln Park.

I'm worried about people in neighborhoods lighting fireworks off. Our neighborhood has open lots with dried grass.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Yes, Grand Junction's fireworks show will be at Suplezio field at 12th and North. The one in Fruita has been cancelled as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM

521 posts, read 860,099 times
Here's a follow-up on the pictures I took on the 26th of the Flagstaff Fire shortly after the fire started.

These are from today at 12:30p with the last picture being from the exact spot (due south) from the last location of the pictures on the 26th. As you can see, it has significantly been knocked down.

While I was out, I did see about a dozen cloud-to-ground strikes less than a mile from the Flatirons and foothills so let's hope nothing else gets sparked with these high based thunderstorms.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Something else is on my mind about this fire season with July looming. I personally would like to offer my opinion of the 4th of July celebrations around here. I think that fireworks are similar to candy during Halloween... they're unnecessary.

I think that consumers are pushed and prodded to spend their otherwise tight resources on these worthless and ridiculous frivolties. Let's cut back on the candy and let's put a stop to the burning of fireworks... at least in this state for this one season.

It is disgusting to me that my town has no plan to stop its fireworks display. I'm sure the fireworks are already purchased and resources put into place for fire protection... but what a waste. Why not just have one huge water fight... a wet t-shirt contest if you must.

What's even worse is the folks who obtain the illegal Roman/California Candles that shoot off into the air on a dry and hot and sometimes windy July night. There are usually so many going off in Pueblo County that there's no way to police it all... short of the community vigilantly keeping guard.

I was disgusted to see Black Cat stands still setting up in the Pueblo area. I saw one on the southwest side and heard of another on the Mesa. It seems that it should be both illegal to buy... but also to sell in this time... imo of course.
I love fireworks and think they are a important part of the 4th of July Celebration. I have no problem spending my money on going to the professional show. In fact I look forward to the show with the Pueblo symphony and all the vendors every year as its one of my favorite holidays of the year. If you think they are unnecessary then don't go. That might come across as being rude but I don't mean it to be as there are many events I don't like so I just don't go but hope that the people who do like them have a great time.

Now I agree with the fire ban as it stands including no personal use of fireworks anywhere in the state this year as its just to dry and not worth the risk then letting counties decide if they can have professional shows that way rural mountain counties can choose not to have them if they feel that its to risky and urban cities like Pueblo, Colorado Springs and Denver can decide to have the shows if they feel its safe. In Pueblo's case the fire work show I am going to is on the Riverwalk from the top of a parking garage in downtown and the Pueblo fire department will be there on stand by but the chance of a fire is minimal as its a urban setting. So I will be there with my red white and blue having some adult beverages and celebrating my country and remembering everyone who has made that possible including the fire fighters across the state and nation.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
For those heading to Ouray County, ALL open fires including charcoal grills, campfires and any fireworks are banned.

http://ouraycountyco.gov/Home/Fire%2...ns%20Flyer.pdf

Last edited by jim9251; 06-28-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 02:41 PM

26,213 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
... fireworks ... what a waste. Why not just have one huge water fight... a wet t-shirt contest if you must.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
.... save my eyes from a community wet t-shirt contest. That would be downright frightening around here.
Dorthy....well, we could balance the horror by having us lumpy old silverbacks do a wet jockey short contest. Sort of a "share the horror" event .... and young people who see this abomination might get "scared straight" and start eating healthy and taking better care of themselves.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
The new Pine Ridge fire near Grand Junction doubled in size overnight and is now 1,500 acres.

Pine Ridge Fire nearly doubled in size overnight | News - Home

Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Dorthy....well, we could balance the horror by having us lumpy old silverbacks do a wet jockey short contest. Sort of a "share the horror" event .... and young people who see this abomination might get "scared straight" and start eating healthy and taking better care of themselves.
but I think you might be on to something we could make it an annual school event.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I love fireworks and think... and the Pueblo fire department will be there on stand by but...
And that's exactly my point... a bad use of the fire department's services at this particular time.

You and I both know Pueblo County well enough to know that there will be illegal fireworks as well and the fire department will have to respond to that stupidity as well.

The money you/I/we spend on fireworks displays could be sent to buy firefighters new socks.

But hey... your money to spend as you like... as I'm sure you'll be quick to point out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado