U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
 
8,318 posts, read 23,744,735 times
Reputation: 8952

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The new Pine Ridge fire near Grand Junction doubled in size overnight and is now 1,500 acres.

Pine Ridge Fire nearly doubled in size overnight | News - Home
This fire has now forced closure of I-70 east of Palisade, between CO65 and DeBeque. Railroad traffic also halted. This area is thick with gas wells, natural gas gathering lines and a major natural gas transmission line. The area is mostly sage and piñon-juniper and is tinder dry. Some ruranl homes in the area are being evacuated, according to news reports. Fire behavior was called "extreme" earlier in the day. Now 10,000 acres. Read here:

Pine Ridge Fire grows to 1,500 acres; Meeting tonight in De Beque | GJSentinel.com

 
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
 
15,372 posts, read 18,542,536 times
Reputation: 44497
Thank you Jazz. According to both KJCT and KKCO news have said the fire is close to crossing the interstate. I just shudder to think about it crossing. 1500 acres is where this fire was at around 7 this morning.
 
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado Plateau
1,130 posts, read 2,903,017 times
Reputation: 1211
I heard brief mention on the news of a new fire 2 miles north of Eagle, CO. The Eby Fire, first seen at 6pm today. I have not found any other info on it yet. My workplace has an office in Eagle, so I am watching this closely.
 
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM
 
22 posts, read 39,272 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I heard brief mention on the news of a new fire 2 miles north of Eagle, CO. The Eby Fire, first seen at 6pm today. I have not found any other info on it yet. My workplace has an office in Eagle, so I am watching this closely.
Here's the official statement from the Eagle county sheriff as of 8:30pm tonite (7/28):

Wildfire outside of Eagle
Contact: Bill Kaufman at 328-3441

Emergency responders are battling a wildfire approximately 2 miles northeast of the Interstate 70 interchange in Eagle. A 911 voice notification of a pre-evacuation notice has been sent to 75 homes east of Eby Creek Road and in the Castle Peak Ranch area. Residents should gather pets, medications, important documents and other valuables and be prepared to leave quickly. Those who feel threatened by approaching smoke or fire should not wait for an evacuation notice to leave.

Evacuation centers are being prepared if needed. Locations will be posted to Eagle County Government. Pet and large animal sheltering will be available at the Eagle County Animal Shelter and the Eagle County Fairgrounds if evacuations occur.

As of 8:30 p.m. the Eby Creek Fire is approximately 4 acres in size. Firefighters from local, state and federal agencies are responding, including air tanker support.
 
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM
 
22 posts, read 39,272 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by addfellow View Post
Here's the official statement from the Eagle county sheriff as of 8:30pm tonite (7/28):

Wildfire outside of Eagle
Contact: Bill Kaufman at 328-3441

Emergency responders are battling a wildfire approximately 2 miles northeast of the Interstate 70 interchange in Eagle. A 911 voice notification of a pre-evacuation notice has been sent to 75 homes east of Eby Creek Road and in the Castle Peak Ranch area. Residents should gather pets, medications, important documents and other valuables and be prepared to leave quickly. Those who feel threatened by approaching smoke or fire should not wait for an evacuation notice to leave.

Evacuation centers are being prepared if needed. Locations will be posted to Eagle County Government. Pet and large animal sheltering will be available at the Eagle County Animal Shelter and the Eagle County Fairgrounds if evacuations occur.

As of 8:30 p.m. the Eby Creek Fire is approximately 4 acres in size. Firefighters from local, state and federal agencies are responding, including air tanker support.
Talk about weird timing: my wife and I, after several days of indecision, finally made the difficult decision earlier tonight to cancel our first-ever trip to the Rockies (we booked 7 days at the Arrabelle resort in Vail) because of the wildfire threat, despite the fact that there were no active fires threatening Vail. There were just too many seasoned firefighters in CO all making the same basic comment: the current conditions represented a threat level they hadn't witnessed in a long, long time. Let's hope my fears prove unfounded, and the fire burning right now in Eagle county never gets the chance to threaten Vail, or any place else. Enough's enough.
 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
 
9,809 posts, read 17,924,244 times
Reputation: 7488
Quote:
Originally Posted by addfellow View Post
Talk about weird timing: my wife and I, after several days of indecision, finally made the difficult decision earlier tonight to cancel our first-ever trip to the Rockies (we booked 7 days at the Arrabelle resort in Vail) because of the wildfire threat, despite the fact that there were no active fires threatening Vail. There were just too many seasoned firefighters in CO all making the same basic comment: the current conditions represented a threat level they hadn't witnessed in a long, long time. Let's hope my fears prove unfounded, and the fire burning right now in Eagle county never gets the chance to threaten Vail, or any place else. Enough's enough.
At times you can smell a bit of smoke in Vail but at the moment there is no imminent threat. Fires burn in Eagle County every summer.

Unfortunately it shows the power of the media. A fire happens 150 miles away and people cancel travel plans. I think it's going to be a brutal season for the tourism industry with many who are unaffected paying the price. Just like with Monday Night Football with Broncos games. If it is snowing during the game, people assume a big dump in the mountains and the phones ring off the hook booking ski reservations. When the reality is it might not even be snowing in the mountains at all.
 
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
 
8,318 posts, read 23,744,735 times
Reputation: 8952
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
At times you can smell a bit of smoke in Vail but at the moment there is no imminent threat. Fires burn in Eagle County every summer.

Unfortunately it shows the power of the media. A fire happens 150 miles away and people cancel travel plans. I think it's going to be a brutal season for the tourism industry with many who are unaffected paying the price. Just like with Monday Night Football with Broncos games. If it is snowing during the game, people assume a big dump in the mountains and the phones ring off the hook booking ski reservations. When the reality is it might not even be snowing in the mountains at all.
In anything like a normal year, what you say is true. This is anything but normal. The emergency management people I know are convinced that conditions are perfectly ripe for fires to start just about anywhere, at any time. While most of the area of the state as far as acreage is concerned is unaffected by the fires burning now, that does not mean that one won't start right where you are--in a hour, a day, or a week. Things are just that explosive. I don't blame people a bit for rethinking their vacation plans. This year, it's about like taking a vacation in a war zone--the battle may not be happening in one's chosen spot today, but it sure could be by the time one gets there. I've basically put most of my travel plans in Colorado (both business and pleasure) on hold until we hopefully get some rain to lessen the fire danger. I've chewed enough smoke from the fires that are burning already and the potential for a lot more starting is absolutely there. I can say that I have NEVER seen conditions in Colorado so ripe for fire over almost the entire state. I wouldn't be spending my hard-earned money to vacation in a tinderbox.

By the way, the west central valleys of Colorado are looking at 100°-105° high temperatures for the next 5 days, with little chance of rain and with possible winds. Perfect fire weather. Also, I heard that the small wild mustang herds up in the Bookcliffs area are suffering lots of losses--the horses dying of thirst because there is absolutely no water, anywhere. Even in the lower western valleys, bears are starting to show up near town because there is nothing left for them to eat in the surrounding mountains. It's that bad.
 
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,725 posts, read 15,599,993 times
Reputation: 9166
Might be before your time Wanneroo, but their used to be a TV show called People Are Funny, hosted by Art Linkletter. A better title might have been.....People are Irrational!
 
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Northglenn, CO
521 posts, read 633,142 times
Reputation: 1141
I wouldn't cancel a trip to a state just because literally one half of one percent of public land is closed. Sure, it's dry but unless you were planning on having a campfire the entire trip and not being able to have one was a deal breaker, there's no reason to cancel trips out here.

Sitting in pools, shopping, and sightseeing aren't a threat to fires and unless you planned on touring neighborhoods in the Springs or Fort Collins, the rest of the state is still just as beautiful as it was before these started.
 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
 
8,318 posts, read 23,744,735 times
Reputation: 8952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
I wouldn't cancel a trip to a state just because literally one half of one percent of public land is closed. Sure, it's dry but unless you were planning on having a campfire the entire trip and not being able to have one was a deal breaker, there's no reason to cancel trips out here.

Sitting in pools, shopping, and sightseeing aren't a threat to fires and unless you planned on touring neighborhoods in the Springs or Fort Collins, the rest of the state is still just as beautiful as it was before these started.
Let's take a little inventory here: Many streams in the state are so low already this summer, and water temperatures so high that trout survival is becoming a problem. So much for a good fishing year in many places. Reservoirs are being pulled down at high rates all over the state--to the point that a lot of smaller irrigation reservoirs (many of which support good trout populations) will be nearly dry by August. In many areas of the Colorado mountains, the normally green summer grasses have already gone dormant and brown from the dry conditions and heat. Record temperatures are searing much of the lower elevation areas of Colorado--day after day. Colorado's normal excellent air quality outside of it metro areas is being heavily impacted by fires--not everyplace every day, but "chewing smoke" somewhere is almost a certainty at some point for people who travel in the mountains. Yes, fires are only directly impacting small acreages of the state, but their indirect impacts--air quality, road closures, etc.--are far more wide reaching. I know that the tourism promoters want to try to put a happy face on all of this--who can blame them?--but the reality is that this is just not a very good summer to visit Colorado, at least so far.

I suppose if people aren't concerned about spending their money in a difficult economy to have a less than wonderful experience in Colorado, or if they can satisfy themselves doing stuff that they could do almost anywhere else in the country (sitting in a pool, shopping, etc.), then I guess they can come here, but it is sure not what I would do if I had a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top