U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,567,481 times

Advertisements

JAZZ, I'm glad you brought up the issue of the wild horses and bears not having anyplace to drink water, because if the Humane Society and other animal groups could safely get near these animals, they could fill a low-land area with water from firefighter water tankers from other states, perhaps line the spot with plastic so the water won't soak in and dry. Or whatever drinking situation they think might work for the wild animals, I hope they will go there and help out, as long as they get permission from whatever gov is over that area. GG

Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,330,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Let's take a little inventory here: Many streams in the state are so low already this summer, and water temperatures so high that trout survival is becoming a problem. So much for a good fishing year in many places. Reservoirs are being pulled down at high rates all over the state--to the point that a lot of smaller irrigation reservoirs (many of which support good trout populations) will be nearly dry by August. In many areas of the Colorado mountains, the normally green summer grasses have already gone dormant and brown from the dry conditions and heat. Record temperatures are searing much of the lower elevation areas of Colorado--day after day. Colorado's normal excellent air quality outside of it metro areas is being heavily impacted by fires--not everyplace every day, but "chewing smoke" somewhere is almost a certainty at some point for people who travel in the mountains. Yes, fires are only directly impacting small acreages of the state, but their indirect impacts--air quality, road closures, etc.--are far more wide reaching. I know that the tourism promoters want to try to put a happy face on all of this--who can blame them?--but the reality is that this is just not a very good summer to visit Colorado, at least so far.

I suppose if people aren't concerned about spending their money in a difficult economy to have a less than wonderful experience in Colorado, or if they can satisfy themselves doing stuff that they could do almost anywhere else in the country (sitting in a pool, shopping, etc.), then I guess they can come here, but it is sure not what I would do if I had a choice.
The Fountain Creek runs through our farm. I walked back there yesterday and it was so low that I could walk from bank to bank without getting my feet wet. Just a couple of tiny streams amidst the sandbars.

It usually looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Official Thread for all 2012 Colorado Fire Season Topics-img00039-20120608-1014.jpg  

Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,006,382 times
Just a short message.I pray for you and hope that things are getting better

Old 06-29-2012, 04:40 PM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Appreciate the kind words FP! We'll get through this. We got through this in 2002, and we'll get through this in 2012. Will dm ya later!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Heard the latest figures on the Pine Ridge Fire near De Beque on 88.1 KAFM, the community radio station here in Junction.

At 7 this morning the road was partially re-opened to one lane each direction for I-70 though law enforcement is discouraging travel-lots of delays and slow going in spots. For trucks this is really a pain as the only other routes to Mesa County from the front range is U.S. 50 to Montrose and up to Grand Junction or U.S. 40 to Craig-Hwy. 13 to Meeker-hwy. 64 to Rangely- hwy. 139 to Grand Junction from the Loma exit. And truckers do NOT want to take that route. Monarch Pass isn't a picnic in an 18 wheeler, but Douglas Pass from Rangely? Uh uh.

12,050 acres burned.

5% containment.

And we're not getting a break whatsoever from the weather either. The 5 day forecast is calling for highs in the 100 degree range.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
jazzlover wrote:
I suppose if people aren't concerned about spending their money in a difficult economy to have a less than wonderful experience in Colorado, or if they can satisfy themselves doing stuff that they could do almost anywhere else in the country (sitting in a pool, shopping, etc.), then I guess they can come here, but it is sure not what I would do if I had a choice.
I imagine that 99% of the tourists who DO come to Colorado will have a great time anyway, even though conditions are less than ideal. Having a wonderful experience or not having a wonderful experience is up for grabs. Anyone who makes a decision to have a great time will have a great time. I decided to do just that, and I'm having a great vacation in Crested Butte. If I didn't already know about the fires across the state, I wouldn't have a clue that they even existed. Of course that could change in a hearbeat with one unlucky lightning strike or some ignoramus playing with his guns in a really dry area.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM

12,099 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
The Fountain Creek runs through our farm. I walked back there yesterday and it was so low that I could walk from bank to bank without getting my feet wet. Just a couple of tiny streams amidst the sandbars.

It usually looks like this:
I am not saying that Colorado Rivers are not low as they obviously are but the Fountain Creek is not a good example as its a creek and runs low a lot of times. My understanding is one of the reasons is runs so high now is because of Colorado Springs and their lack of waste water controls but that conversation is for a different thread.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-29-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yes, Grand Junction's fireworks show will be at Suplezio field at 12th and North.

On tonights 10:00 o'clock news on KKCO it has been reported that Grand junction has reversed its decision. No fireworks this year.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Vail/Avon are not having their fireworks this year. That is usually a draw for up to 30000 people making 4th of July week one of the busiest of the year for the local area.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Ouray's fireworks are really wonderful in the canyon. But not this year.
One year when I was going out there, three people had to be bumped from the puddle jumper flight from Denver to Montrose, so smokejumpers could go.
How I wish for a soaking rain deluge for the whole area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or