U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,504,006 times

Advertisements

I applaud the sensibility of the municipalities that have stepped up and cancelled their firewoks displays in consideration of the extremely dry conditions.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,193,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I applaud the sensibility of the municipalities that have stepped up and canceled their fireworks displays in consideration of the extremely dry conditions.
There are places that could likely set off their fireworks with relatively low fire risk. The problem is that even those places have to assign firefighting resources on standby in case the fireworks do start a fire. That takes those resources away from fire managers if a wildland fire starts in that area--pretty much unacceptable under current dire conditions. Total fireworks bans and cancellation of fireworks shows makes perfect sense.

I'd gladly forgo fireworks for the whole summer in exchange for some good soaking rains that would take the fire danger down--but that looks unlikely for at least the next week or so.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,863,427 times
Wink Home to all

"Her whole neighborhood took wildfire mitigation seriously. She recalled neighbors who went to great lengths to protect their property — to no avail. She and her husband had done substantial fire mitigation on their 37 acres, equipped their house with more fire-resistant siding and replaced the shake roof with metal." [1]

Fire mitigation does not result in a true forest remaining in the area "managed." So whether a thirty foot perimeter around every residence, or 37 acres, count every residence in these forests and therefore how much less of it there is.

And, potentially to no avail.

Whether designated wilderness or national forests with far more residential development, these forests are ecosystems which, aside from humans, many other individuals reside within and rely upon—as is.
1) 'Urban Coloradans face new vulnerability after wildfires,' The Denver Post
Urban Coloradans face new vulnerability after wildfires - The Denver Post

Old 07-01-2012, 12:38 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,087,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
To those who have scoffed at my assertion that far too many Coloradans were complacent, not believing that a wildfire could threaten their homes--the "Oh, that can't happen here" attitude, I offer this article from the Denver Post:

Urban Coloradans face new vulnerability after wildfires - The Denver Post

It's a pretty chilling article.
Well, denial is one of the main human coping mechanisms. It can and does happen to you and none of us live forever, although especially when we are younger it might feel that way.

It's like my dad said the other day, if you build a home in Colorado in or near forest or grassland, there is a chance it's going to burn down sometime in the next 100 years. Just the way it is and always will be. So far in Colorado this year about 600-700 structures have burned down and I think Colorado has around 2 million structures overall, so in total the numbers are small, the total land area burned is small. But there is still a chance, over time, fire will get you.

There is always risk out there. Most people are unaware several people have died on I-70 in the past 10 years from falling rocks. 3 people died in West Denver on I-70 when part of a bridge construction collapsed. Another man died in Aspen around 2005 on Hwy 82 when a piece of metal dropped out of a truck in front of him, came through the windshield and cut his throat.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 PM

20,383 posts, read 37,955,333 times
Default Didn't Take Long

Boulder, the city that many love to hate (wrongly so), is stepping up to the plate to deal with some of the very things we've been discussing: mitigation and building materials. Here's a story in today's Boulder Daily Camera.

Excerpt: "... Boulder City Council will consider adopting new regulations for what's called the wildland-urban interface -- city neighborhoods that abut open space -- which will address everything from building materials to vegetation near homes. The updated Fire-Rescue Master Plan, adopted last month by City Council, calls on the city to adopt a code based on the Wildland-Urban Interface Code developed by the International Code Council, the nonprofit organization that provides uniform guidelines on everything from plumbing to energy conservation."

I wonder how long it will take Colorado Springs' conservative government to get off its duff and do the right thing on mitigation and building codes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,193,673 times
On a bit of a more optimistic note, the NWS in New Mexico has posted that it appears that a significant change in the weather pattern is going to bring Monsoonal moisture into at least New Mexico starting today and lasting as long as a week. If this occurs, it could do a lot to reduce the fire danger in New Mexico and, potentially, southern Colorado. Of course, it raises concern about flash flooding, especially in burned over areas. Unfortunately, the Colorado NWS says that the monsoonal moisture will not likely reach most of the Colorado mountains until Thursday or Friday. That is not unusual--the effects of the Southwest Monsoon are typically not as reliable in the northern half of Colorado. Also, the Southwest Monsoon will also usually moderate temperatures, as afternoon clouding skies will reduce peak temperatures.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM

16,219 posts, read 20,264,682 times
On KREX, GJ's CBS affiliate, the latest figures for the Pine Ridge fire near De Beque on the 7:30 news this morning:

13,360 acres burned
35% containment
350 firefighters involved
8 air units involved

Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,428,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There are places that could likely set off their fireworks with relatively low fire risk. The problem is that even those places have to assign firefighting resources on standby in case the fireworks do start a fire. That takes those resources away from fire managers if a wildland fire starts in that area--pretty much unacceptable under current dire conditions. Total fireworks bans and cancellation of fireworks shows makes perfect sense.

I'd gladly forgo fireworks for the whole summer in exchange for some good soaking rains that would take the fire danger down--but that looks unlikely for at least the next week or so.
I still maintain it depends where you are having the show. Honestly I would much rather have a nice alternative for people who like fireworks that is safe and yes might take one or two trucks out of service for a few hours (not a huge drain on a larger cities resources) and have the people there watching the professionals put on a safe show then have them on their own in these dry conditions. I know personally I will be at the professional show and hope people join me there in downtown Pueblo and do not light their own fireworks this year.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM

20,383 posts, read 37,955,333 times
More amazing pix from an award winning photographer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 PM

2,680 posts, read 4,483,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I also wonder why we can't stop this with all of the technology we have. But fire has incredible force. I don't think there is anyway to stop it until mother nature helps us out.

It will be interesting if/once the fire gets to the Air Force Academy's buildings. Surely they will bring out everything the US government has. Hell, the 8 MAFF's that are in the entire country say "US AIR FORCE" on them.

Anyone surprised the major news networks aren't showing this live? I would have thought Anderson Cooper would be broadcoasting live by now.
I agree with you TOTALLY on the confusion as to why this isn't covered more! I turned on the news several times late last week hoping to see live coverage of what's going on back there, and saw nothing on CNN and all the others besides political talk. It is tiring that they don't cover real news outside of politics, especially news as major as what's going on in CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or