U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,174,647 times

Advertisements

Well, unfortunately, things are shaping up about as badly as I expected. Much of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico was filled with smoke from the huge fires in southwestern New Mexico from Friday until yesterday. Meanwhile, a large fire is now burning near the Colorado/Utah border near Paradox. This morning, one could barely breathe in Pagosa Springs because of the smoky conditions from the Little Sand fire burning in the Upper Piedra River area. In southern Colorado and northern New Mexico, winds of 15-60 mph have been blowing every afternoon and evening for about a week now. Humidity has typically been below 15% every afternoon and evening. There is still some green out there, but it can't last long from that kind of an assault. The week's forecast is for more of the same, no rain, and warming temperatures. By the way, before some crank says that I'm making this up--that is what I personally saw and recorded from a week on the road in the area on business and pleasure.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 AM

16,201 posts, read 20,244,203 times
The only break that the Grand Junction area DID get was temperatures that were a tad cooler than normal. The lack of moisture here is getting more worrisome. And like Jazzlover said earlier, the winds are a big concern here. The day before yesterday the winds were howling at about 40 miles an hour a couple hours at a time.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM

12,105 posts, read 20,410,542 times
We have had a lot of rain Pueblo in the past week or so. I don't know if this is just a temporary break or if its a new trend developing.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM

16,201 posts, read 20,244,203 times
The fire Jazz is referring to is way in the southwest corner of the state. I'm familiar with that area as few, and I mean few people live there.

400 firefighters involved
5 helicopters
30% containment
5200 acres burned

Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,492,187 times
I was hiking in Knowles Canyon yesterday afternoon via the Glade Park trailhead. The plume of smoke from the Paradox fire was quite visible from the rim of the canyon. Not a pretty sight, even from a great distance away.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The fire Jazz is referring to is way in the southwest corner of the state. I'm familiar with that area as few, and I mean few people live there.

400 firefighters involved
5 helicopters
30% containment
5200 acres burned
Unfortunately, once again, the Forest Service's efforts to control the fire are being dictated by trying to protect private structures on private property built where they likely should not have been permitted, rather than managing the fire (and the resources being expended to control it) for purposes of promoting a healthier and less fire-prone forest for the future. A tacit admission of this is contained within the Forest Service's own "Incident Information." Apparently, protecting private trophy homes owned by wealthy individuals on private property is more important to the Forest Service than managing the forest resources owned by the American people. I do not blame the "boots-on-the-ground" courageous firefighters for this, but, rather, the misguided policies of the Forest Service hierarchy itself--apparently caving in to powerful private interests and political influence.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM

I expect Colorado to do everything in its power to get the fire under control regardless of how many houses are threatened. Anything less would be unacceptable to me.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I expect Colorado to do everything in its power to get the fire under control regardless of how many houses are threatened. Anything less would be unacceptable to me.
You don't get it--Colorado doesn't drive the bus on this--it's the US Forest Service. If things were what they should be, it WOULD be the primary responsibility of local fire districts, counties, and the state government to defend private property (or not) when structures are threatened on private property by wildfire--wherever the fire may have started--rather than having the federal government and taxpayers stuck with that responsibility. Having state and local government shoulder that responsibility would be a strong incentive for them to discourage building in wildfire-prone areas. The only exceptions that I would make that would merit the US Forest Service being called upon to defend private structures on private property would be to defend private public utilities--e.g. utility lines, pipelines, railroads. etc.--running on or through public lands, or to defend private structures having historical significance that are located on or adjacent to public lands. Otherwise, the people foolhardy enough to build in areas with high wildfire potential should be held responsible for their folly--not the federal taxpaying public.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM

When I said Colorado I meant the US Forest Service in Colorado. When there is a fire in the Colorado mountains I want all available resources used to put that fire out and if that is not enough then they need to call in more. As a state and national taxpayer I expect that and anything less would be unacceptable.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
When I said Colorado I meant the US Forest Service in Colorado. When there is a fire in the Colorado mountains I want all available resources used to put that fire out and if that is not enough then they need to call in more. As a state and national taxpayer I expect that and anything less would be unacceptable.
Actually, putting the fire out ultimately does nothing to solve the problem of Colorado's diseased and dying forests. In fact, their pitiful condition is primarily the RESULT of over a century of fire suppression. It's people with NO forestry knowledge like you that pressure the Forest Service to ignore its mandate to properly manage the forests, and, instead, to spend millions of dollars of taxpayer money to suppress fires--thus causing our forests to remain unhealthy in perpetuity. In other words, bluntly, it is YOUR misguided thinking--and people with similar thinking--that are responsible for the mess that we now find our forests in here in the Rocky Mountain West.

I hate to see forests on fire, knowing that they will never again in my lifetime look as they did in their prime, but that is the way of nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or