Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM

52 posts, read 131,437 times

Advertisements

That's the way the cookie crumbles. Oregon is right next to the largest source of moisture on the planet (Pacific Ocean) and Colorado is a high alpine desert about as far inland as you can get. This means that year to year precipitation is going to vary widely (as our friend Jazzlover has pointed out before).At least this season isn't as bad as some of the others in the past, namely the 1980-1981 season. Breck was only open for five weeks that particular season. The low snow year hasn't stopped my total ski day tally from reaching 42 days though, there was still fun to be had despite the low snow year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Well this is you guys's year, hopefully next season is better here

Last season Breck got 500+ inches
Very true. Last season was actually better here too, believe it or not. I think we had close to 700 inches of snowfall. But there have been years, from what I've heard (I've only been in Oregon for 4 years), where we didn't get much at all. It actually started out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
The weekend I went in January was pretty bad though. Just hard crusty ice in most spots with not a scarp of powder to be found. The terrain looked awesome but everything that wasn't facing the sun before 12 was just ice and not much fun. Glad to hear it has improved, doesn't help me much as I broke my collarbone two weeks after that trip to Bend.
I have to say with my limited experience here that Bachelor is significantly better than Hood. Just from a sunshine alone standpoint it's better.
Yes, it has significantly improved since January! I think I only skied a few times that month and I have a season pass. It was pretty bad. La Nina has finally hit and it's shaping up to be a long season here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifreak189 View Post
That's the way the cookie crumbles. Oregon is right next to the largest source of moisture on the planet (Pacific Ocean) and Colorado is a high alpine desert about as far inland as you can get. This means that year to year precipitation is going to vary widely (as our friend Jazzlover has pointed out before).At least this season isn't as bad as some of the others in the past, namely the 1980-1981 season. Breck was only open for five weeks that particular season. The low snow year hasn't stopped my total ski day tally from reaching 42 days though, there was still fun to be had despite the low snow year.
Yup, true! I recall some pretty dicey years when I lived in Colorado too. Early season here kind of reminded me of skiing in Colorado during those rough snow years. You just have to take the good with the bad. That's what it's about.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Yup, true! I recall some pretty dicey years when I lived in Colorado too. Early season here kind of reminded me of skiing in Colorado during those rough snow years. You just have to take the good with the bad. That's what it's about.
If the hypotheses in this report ( http://www.cier.umd.edu/climateadapt...e%20Change.pdf ) are correct, then skiers will be taking a lot more bad than good.

See pages 7-8 of the report for some pretty sobering numbers.

Personally, I don't give a whit about the impacts on the ski industry from climate change, but the negative effects on water supplies are far more troubling. Those are outlined in the above report, as are they in this one ( http://wwa.colorado.edu/climate_chan...ReportFull.pdf )that focuses more on that issue. Chapter 6 of this document is pretty sobering, as well. Before someone jumps in and says that climate change is not caused by greenhouse gases and so the issues raised in these reports are not important, this paragraph in the second report should dispel that notion. I have bolded some of it for emphasis:

Quote:
Paleoclimate studies reveal that previous centuries were unlike the past century. Lengthy droughts and wet periods were more common from about 800 to 1900 in the West (Figure 2-8). Even in the absence of climate change this new understanding of past hydrology would warrant a renewed focus on drought planning. Second, water supply systems are facing complex stresses, including increasing demands from a growing population and potential energy development. Third, these challenges are magnified by the need to consider climate change. Therefore, there is an emerging need for vulnerability assessments, for adaptation planning, and for bringing climate change information into ongoing integrated resource planning.
It should be noted that Colorado's ski industry almost completely developed in a period of time that many climatologists called "abnormally normal." If the forecasts contained in these reports come true (and current trends are indicating that they may), having lousy spring skiing conditions may be the least of Colorado's worries.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
Would you pay $64 for this one run?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
^

It depends what month it is.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
I'm sure most have passes and aren't paying $64 for one run.

I went opening weekend last year and it's a mess. Wait until there are more runs open. You get people who should be on greens and people who should be on double blacks clashing together on the same tiny run. It's downright dangerous IMO.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
A few years ago my sister and I were both in Denver for Thanksgiving, visiting our parents. We really wanted to go skiing together, but there were only a few places open. A Basin was one, and it's always been my favorite, so we went. Only 2 runs were open, and it was hard packed snow. However, having the chance to ski together and enjoy the sun and a cold beer after the day was worth it. Of course, it's rare that I will pay that rate for skiing anywhere these days. I have a season pass to our mountain here in Bend, and I want to get my money's worth, so I don't go elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Historically thanksgiving has been opening weekend and thing before that is icing on the cake.

To expect enough snow for skiing before then is a nice dream.
not saying it can't happen but you can't control the weather.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Would you pay $64 for this one run?
I wouldn't go today even if they paid me $64.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado