U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 736 times

Advertisements

We have tickets to Denver for next weekend.. it would be our first time skiing in Colorado. We got the tickets a while ago but now because of the lack of snow we are wondering if it would be better to cancel our trip We would loose our tickets but we don't wanna go and pay for hotel, passes etc if the conditions are so bad. What would you suggest us to do?
Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,644,083 times
I think you'd be pretty disappointed. Lots of bare spots, rocks and stumps.
Take a look. All 96 Colorado Ski Resort Webcams on One Page - SnowGrabber Colorado - Plus Weather & Snow Reports
RP

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,229,805 times
I wouldn't come, cancel your plans or something. It's the worst ski year probably since people started skiing.

Some resorts are better than others though, which were you going to?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,987,109 times
Was your sole purpose in coming to Denver to ski? There are lots of other great things to do, if you are flexible. You might also see if you can change your tickets to another destination, if your primary goal is to ski. Here in Central Oregon, Mt. Bachelor still has tons of snow! If you want to ski, I'd recommend it.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,584,803 times
Wink May still be fun

Do check, but you might still enjoy a fine ski trip.

I've not seen their slopes in person, but Breckenridge said, due this difficult season, that they were extending their season well into April. Presumably they have enough snow to do so, but don't count on any great powder or tree skiing. Many of the groomed runs may still be okay, though. Although I'm guessing conditions will deteriorate faster than they would hope, with likely little new snow, and unseasonably high temperatures making not only snow making difficult, but more rapidly melting that existing.

On the other hand, spring is a primo season for skiing. Many people do not think so, so absent, and one reason why so good. The snow is seldom as good as in the depth of winter, and tending more like that customary in the Sierra Nevada, in being wet and heavy. So chances conditions will be somewhat icy in the early mornings, and a little slushy by late afternoon. But it is also the time of year when you can soak up the rays, ski without jacket and in short sleeves, or even a bikini, if so brave, and at lunch kick back with a brew and great chance for a sun tan.

As mentioned, if looking for lots of snow then the Pacific Northwest on into Canada probably offers the best chance. Although conditions there are always kind of fickle when it comes to the dry and light snow some crave.

As for Colorado, conditions will surely vary by resort, so check accordingly. Those at higher elevations surely with the best snow, which translates to Summit County. Although Steamboat Springs had some decent snowfalls earlier in the winter. But check out A-Basin, if they do not have a decent run or two open well into May, I want to know why not.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM

A-Basin isn't doing that well either, very slushy and Montezuma bowl just closed, probably this early for the first time ever.

Keystone is the worst by far

Breck isn't doing very well either, lots of bare spots/rocks (and this was like 3-4 weeks ago, will be even worse now)

Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 PM

9,718 posts, read 12,466,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc0117 View Post
We have tickets to Denver for next weekend.. it would be our first time skiing in Colorado. We got the tickets a while ago but now because of the lack of snow we are wondering if it would be better to cancel our trip We would loose our tickets but we don't wanna go and pay for hotel, passes etc if the conditions are so bad. What would you suggest us to do?
Thanks!!
Well for starters it's late in the season and snow conditions are always hit or miss. All it takes is for a couple of warm sunny days to make a mess. You will almost never have as good as conditions as back in Jan-Feb this late in March, beginning of April. By going this weekend you are pretty much hitting the last big weekend of the year because after that it all goes downhill fast.

Also often this time of year conditions up top will be fine with the bottom of the hill not looking good.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM

49 posts, read 112,936 times
I just rented a place for 4 days for me, my 2 kids and their 2 friends. We planned to go to a different mountain every day. Started at Loveland and it was awful. Even though it was almost free with all our coupons and passes, we only went one day. Conditions are truly bad. I'd save your money.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 PM

You can still "ski", but the season is over unless a big dump happens in April

Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM

5,470 posts, read 14,391,104 times
If you don't mind sliding around on slush in the hot sun all day, A-basin is ok and will still probably be open for a while, but I wouldn't come expecting anything more than that. I went last Sunday and that will probably have been the last time I'll go up this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado