Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband and I are disabled (at 44) and want to relocate to Colorado ASAP. I need to learn where we could afford, disablity does not pay a lot. I am looking for a small quant town that is friendly and fun. We are both in online college and would like a place we are not tied to our car. Shopping a must, do not want to drive forever for a loaf of bread ;-) Need cheap rental until we can figure out where we want to be for sure (in Colorado). I thank you in advance for any info given. We prefer the warmer side of the state aswell.

VonMarie420
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink If carefully chosen

By the criteria given, you are almost certainly looking somewhere along the front range of Colorado for a home, that basically running from Colorado Springs north to Fort Collins.

That assessment is based largely on weather, as arguably the front range experiences the most temperate weather in the state. Definitely more so than the mountains, and so as well either western Colorado or the eastern plains. Additionally, as the largest metro area, with the best chance in locating within walking distance a grocery and other services.

The infrastructure of modern Colorado is built around the automobile. One can in certain precise locations largely do without one, but one will have to be exact in the address chosen. In general, any of the larger towns will present such options. Smaller ones may as well, but not in the overall level of services, nor possibly in other features on may wish.

One possibility, although larger in size than you may prefer, could be Fort Collins. There are certainly areas where one could be within easy walking distance of a grocery store, and number of other services as well. If driving, it is a fairly easy and pleasant place to navigate. Since considered desirable, housing would be more affordable elsewhere, but the biggest challenge most would-be residents have is simply in securing a decent enough job.

South of there, there are a fair number of smaller communities, and possibly only in looking will one know if suitable or not. But they will be intrinsically more limited, if perhaps quaint, so if really determined on parking the car look closely to that on hand, realistic proximity to it, and what one really values.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMarie420 View Post
Hello All,

My husband and I are disabled (at 44) and want to relocate to Colorado ASAP. I need to learn where we could afford, disablity does not pay a lot. I am looking for a small quant town that is friendly and fun. We are both in online college and would like a place we are not tied to our car. Shopping a must, do not want to drive forever for a loaf of bread ;-) Need cheap rental until we can figure out where we want to be for sure (in Colorado). I thank you in advance for any info given. We prefer the warmer side of the state aswell.

VonMarie420
As I always explain to Colorado newbies, due to the geography and other issues, Colorado is either a very urban/suburban place or very rural and often very isolated.

There isn't much middle ground of medium sized towns and cities in Colorado. We frequently get these threads on this forum desiring a small, walkable clustered town with plenty to do and of course, CHEAP!

That doesn't really exist in Colorado and of what does, is very expensive.

The desire for warmer weather(Colorado is statistically the coldest state in the lower 48) puts you below 5500 ft and that means prairie or high desert living. The options there would be to look at an agriculture town like Limon or Ft Morgan on the prairie or perhaps out near Grand Junction in the desert. You could also consider a more populated area such as Ft. Collins or Greeley or Pueblo.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM

68 posts, read 172,265 times
Default So..........CO

You AND your husband are disabled? This is sounding fishy. I think I want a payout, not have to work, and move somewhere different so no one will check up on my health so I can play. If you are disabled and have any trouble getting around at all ( I mean if your are really disabled), then why in the world would you move to where blizzards and icy sidewalk are part of life. There are cheaper places to live by far. I personally think something is way off here............

Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 PM

352 posts, read 797,619 times
Default Disability Takes Many Different Forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
You AND your husband are disabled? This is sounding fishy. I think I want a payout, not have to work, and move somewhere different so no one will check up on my health so I can play. If you are disabled and have any trouble getting around at all ( I mean if your are really disabled), then why in the world would you move to where blizzards and icy sidewalk are part of life. There are cheaper places to live by far. I personally think something is way off here............

Since the OP didn't mention the details of her or her husband's disability (and they need not feel obligated to do so), none of us can truly know whether they have trouble getting around physically. Since they do not want to be car-dependent and did not mention the need for public transportation, who are we to judge?

So, Westcliffe, I see your skepticism and raise you a double helping of compassion and non-judgment.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
Is 420 a thing you guys use to ease your symptoms? I would not move here just because it may be easier to get ( "legal").

I live outside a small town and if you want to walk to get bread that is about one of the few things you will be able to do. They usually have a couple of gas stations, grocery store, the required liquor store or three and a couple of places to eat. There is little to no bus system in the small towns so if you wanted to leave you would need a car.

Since you are both on very limited income this is not the place or state for you. Your disability let's say is around $700 and change and your husband's close to the same, so about $1500 a month, that is not enough to live here. Half would go to rent, then utilites and basic cost of living and you guys will be running in the red monthly.

You should look to the cheaper states, more to the East and South.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
wanneroo wrote:
There isn't much middle ground of medium sized towns and cities in Colorado. We frequently get these threads on this forum desiring a small, walkable clustered town with plenty to do and of course, CHEAP!

That doesn't really exist in Colorado and of what does, is very expensive.
This is a great summary of the beast known as Colorado.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
Wow, just wow!

I know some disable couples, sometimes it just happens that they fall in love.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
OP, just wondering why you are wanting to move to Colorado. It sounds from your questions that you've never been here and don't know very much about the state. There really aren't any small quaint towns that have everything you are looking for and cheap, too. And there really isn't a “warmer part of the state”.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Maybe the OP wants a no-car-dependent place due to finances, not disability. I do agree that it is hard to find what OP is talking about, and unlikely in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado