U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,201 posts, read 33,667,807 times

Advertisements

I find this site has lots of my favorite road trips that I found LONG before the internet (and computers...)
Colorado

I like Independence Pass and Trail Ridge Road, especially via bicycle or Motorcycle (tad faster).

I do lots of 'loops', and I DON"T do traffic... I go EARLY morning and late at night. (Often pull off and sleep somewhere that I might enjoy the sunrise)

My favorites are still in WY, but some are only 30 min from CO. Snowy Range Scenic Byway Overview
Vedauwoo...

All time Favorite = http://byways.org/explore/byways/2281 (Beartooth, NE Yellowstone)

Black Hills is also good for road trip. Stay At Main Street Manor House Hostel in Lead, SD (The gal is very interesting, did a 'round the world bike trip) Very nice and cheap. Swimming pool sport center one blk away. GREAT trails

I keep this at hand too (many city parks in rural states are free camping) http://freecampgrounds.com/ But most often I'm in Private Guest homes for $10 / night (been doing this for 25+ yrs).

I do CO, WY, SD, UT the last weeks in Sept for Aspen colors and no crowds (bit cold to camp, but not if you don't mind a bit of snow. ).

I fly SWA to DEN ($89) and get a $10 / day rental car with unlimited mileage on hotwire or Priceline.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-03-2012 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM

166 posts, read 339,308 times
Fort Collins Bike Brewery Tour - Tour Ft. Collins Breweries by Bike

nice way to spend a day.... might want to stay over,

Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,333,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcelmer View Post
Where are the BEST (most beautiful, most fun, most romantic, most entertaining - any criteria) cities to visit within driving distance of the Springs? (let's cap it at 5 hours, and ideally less than 3.5)
Aspen, Breckenridge, Winter Park, Estes Park, Crested Butte, South Fork.

Quote:
I have heard lovely things about Aspen, Vail, Ouray, Fort Collins, & Durango. Net searches produce mainly biased opinions from the cities themselves. I'd love some opinions.
Aspen is my favorite. Stunning location. Upscale, ritzy, high class.
Ouray is beautiful and interesting in a rustic kind of way.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM

57 posts, read 102,342 times
My wife and I love cheesy little museums, and one of our favorites is the prison museum in Canon City. You could make a great day out of it by going to the Winery at Holy Cross Abbey, then the prison museum, followed by the Royal Gorge (not too bad during the off season!). While in Canon City I would recommend stopping by a local place called Dinardo's for some apple cider. It's owned by two brothers that have been making the cider for over 70 years! Delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado