U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a 'water association' sound like a doable thing?
Yes 5 71.43%
No 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM

13,711 posts, read 21,527,400 times

Advertisements

My cousin died last Thanksgiving and her husband moved back to Wyoming to be with family and he hasn't been able to sell a beautiful home with a beautiful yard and a beautiful view since then. There's all the utilities there including plumbing and perhaps natural gas... a modern kitchen, a huge tub in an upgraded bathroom... which required making a home with three small bedrooms into two decent sized ones... a wrap around deck with that Wet Mountains, Spanish Peaks, and La Veta Pass and SDC view... and a two car garage.

Must still be a buyers market out there. Oh, they're by Lake Beckwith. DM me if you're interested.

Good info Evritt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Wanneroo, my thoughts exactly. I simply refer to those deals as "land swindles" since the land those people are selling has very little potential unless one spends a good deal of money to convert a raw lot into a "finished" lot suitable for building. I've a friend in FL who decades ago bought a lot in Forbes ranch, sight unseen, never built on it, and let it go for taxes after failing to register changes of address with the taxing authority....

Some people have posted on here that they use these types of lots for parking a camper or RV during hunting season, etc, which seems a good way to get some value out of the land.
With enough money you can do anything, but most people only look at the cost of the land, not what it takes to improve it to make it livable and often in rural Colorado it can cost quite a bit to make that happen.

In my opinion to people interested in this type of land, buyer beware, do your homework on covenants, local ordinances, zoning, codes, utilities(especially water) and if it's cheap and has a view there is probably good reason why it is cheap. Good mountain real estate has a premium cost.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My cousin died last Thanksgiving and her husband moved back to Wyoming to be with family and he hasn't been able to sell a beautiful home with a beautiful yard and a beautiful view since then. There's all the utilities there including plumbing and perhaps natural gas... a modern kitchen, a huge tub in an upgraded bathroom... which required making a home with three small bedrooms into two decent sized ones... a wrap around deck with that Wet Mountains, Spanish Peaks, and La Veta Pass and SDC view... and a two car garage.

Must still be a buyers market out there. Oh, they're by Lake Beckwith. DM me if you're interested.

Good info Evritt.
Will be a buyers market for a long time. I don't believe the population exists that has the economic means and will to live in the boonies in mountain Colorado compared to the vast number of properties up for sale. Today I was just talking about it with a relative and they are looking at properties half the price of what they were in 2007.

My great grandparents house is much the same. Very nice regular house in a mature(1950's), beautiful mountain development with property owners association. It's been up for sale for 4 years now(they sold sometime before to the present owners).

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 PM

13,711 posts, read 21,527,400 times
Oh don't kid yourself about the Rye/Colorado City area. There are quite a few properties there with some good land that go for well over a million. There is property out there with spectacular meadows that have a mountain view on one side and far onto the eastern plains on the other.

As far as Pueblo County goes, most of this property is not "cheap" in any sense of the word. This area has been a getaway playground for Pueblo folks since before the turn of the century and into the Steel Mill's hayday.

It's a great place to retire, raise children, golf, etc.

But what do I know? I've only been around the community since 1974.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:28 PM

666 posts, read 652,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh don't kid yourself about the Rye/Colorado City area. There are quite a few properties there with some good land that go for well over a million. There is property out there with spectacular meadows that have a mountain view on one side and far onto the eastern plains on the other.

As far as Pueblo County goes, most of this property is not "cheap" in any sense of the word. This area has been a getaway playground for Pueblo folks since before the turn of the century and into the Steel Mill's hayday.

It's a great place to retire, raise children, golf, etc.

But what do I know? I've only been around the community since 1974.
This is what I was thinking. I mean, Colorado City is on I25, not the SLV (which I actually find pretty dang neat for those that can deal with that). But I hear both sides and understand.

We'll see what I think in a year or two when I actually start trying to use the land.

Last edited by PcolaFLGuy; 04-06-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 9,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Where in town is your land? I'm interested in this conversation because I'm buying land in Colorado City.

Yet, I knew going in that my parcel was lacking all city amenities like water, power, etc. But I'm curious how this goes for you. I'm a few years away from being able to use it. My 'dream' is to have a very temporary dwelling there. "Roughing it" so to speak.
Hey FLGuy,

I can't say for sure, but it sure looks like you are well outside the development area I bought in. Which, as far as I know, is the only development around Colorado City to have this issue. I heard stories from people with larger lots (40+ acre) that had some issue or another with water, but for the most part it seems to be limited to my area. Yours looks like it's 'in town'ish. Those have always been able to maintain more value because they do have ready access to water. You might be a tad high, but no where near what it looks based on what I'll be asking for my lot.

For those concerned about Colorado City in general being a scam, please see above paragraph.

Also, understand, I did buy the land because I love that area. Those of you concerned about scamms and being careful, that is all excellent advise, but I'm just talking about making it of some use or value.

Appreciate all the comments so far, keep em coming!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Links to personal websites not allowed per TOS.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Often times when this has come up on the forum or when I have talked to people in person about it, when it comes to Colorado and rural properties, I get the sense people don't take the water issue seriously. A lot of people seem to think it's not that big a deal, they'll figure it out, but as Evritt found out, it can get pricey.

Colorado has a weird topography when it comes to water, most of it falls at high elevations and then runs quickly off those mountains with snow melt in spring. There isn't a lot of consistency of precipitation, plus Colorado has a lot of complex water rights laws. It's not like back east where precip falls generally evenly and consistently all months of the year and where you can practically throw a rock and hit water.

Buyer beware and know what you are getting into.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Oh yea, the other question about owner financing...Yes, I have done the owner financing thing, and would be happy to do it again. Unfortunately, the last person I "sold" it to was the one that got the estimate that it would be $80K to get water and backed out. Obviously, I don't blame him, particularly since his plan was build a house and live on it. But, yea, I pay approx a whopping $3 in tax on it and owe nothing so, I leave that as an option, as well as trades too. But, I still don't think that is going to get me much over the 4K without water on it.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrittMcgill View Post
Oh yea, the other question about owner financing...Yes, I have done the owner financing thing, and would be happy to do it again. Unfortunately, the last person I "sold" it to was the one that got the estimate that it would be $80K to get water and backed out. Obviously, I don't blame him, particularly since his plan was build a house and live on it. But, yea, I pay approx a whopping $3 in tax on it and owe nothing so, I leave that as an option, as well as trades too. But, I still don't think that is going to get me much over the 4K without water on it.
Technically without water, it's pretty much worthless. With a lot like that, you can't lease it out for agriculture, mineral production or nearly anything else, so it has no value there and putting a house on it, well you need to sort out the water issue.

People always look at the upfront cost of just purchasing the land and don't look at the back end cost or to me the true cost of the lot to have it in a condition you can put a house on. Just a hypothetical but a $75,000 lot with reliable water access and existing utilities, plus municipal type services available might be cheaper at the end of the day than a $4,000 lot with nothing.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Technically without water, it's pretty much worthless. With a lot like that, you can't lease it out for agriculture, mineral production or nearly anything else, so it has no value there and putting a house on it, well you need to sort out the water issue.

People always look at the upfront cost of just purchasing the land and don't look at the back end cost or to me the true cost of the lot to have it in a condition you can put a house on. Just a hypothetical but a $75,000 lot with reliable water access and existing utilities, plus municipal type services available might be cheaper at the end of the day than a $4,000 lot with nothing.
Point taken. However, valid solutions have been listed so it really comes down to perception. ultimately, it always does. If you like the area, if you feel the options are feasible, if you feel the risk is worth the reward, well, you got yourself a property. After all we aren't talking about a property that you can't get water regardless, or theres no power, you can't put a cabin or moblie due to HOA's, etc, etc.

Of course, that's not even what I'm suggesting anyway. I'm asking if there are other existing lot owners out there that might be interested in getting together to resolve this, or other folks with suggestions, etc.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or